IGNORED

wedge shaft help?

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

MY swing speed is far above normal. I swing x stiff driver, x100 irons but i am worried about wedges which are wedge flex? I hit 52, 56 and a 60 CG14 wedge flex. Obivously i hear that you dont need an X stiff in those irons bc u dont make a full swing but they feel so much different than what I am swinging. I handle all my x clubs very well. I am very long with all clubs also and just want make sure I have the right shaft for my short game? Can someone help me out?

Thanks

many pros like their wedges a little softer than what would normally be considered for their swing speed.  a softer tip on a stiff body helps to add spin and kick the ball higher which has a bigger effect than "square grooves" (USGA- u suck gopher a$$!).

only YOU will be able to decide on what works for YOU.  you'll just have to do the experimenting for yourself regardless of all the opinions you'll get (including this one!).  don't do anything to ALL you wedges at once.  pick one to experiment with and when that one is done the others can be matched to it.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

Quote:

many pros like their wedges a little softer than what would normally be considered for their swing speed.  a softer tip on a stiff body helps to add spin and kick the ball higher...

The Project X spinner shafts are based upon this idea. According to 2011 GolfWorks catalog blurb (p. 85):

" Rifle Spinner Wedge (shafts).  Developed for PGA Tour players who like a softer feel in their scoring irons which are used primarily for less-than-full shots"

Sand Trappers had a 2-plus year thread running on shafts for wedges. Take a look if you want:

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/5847/wedge-shaft-flex-vs-stiff-flex-spinners-etc

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 7 months later...

I recently had put a KBS tour shaft into my 56 deg vokey. I found it played terrific so I had a KBS tour thrown into my 52 degree vokey. We shall see but if it plays. Anyone else change shafts on there Vokeys? or wedges?

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

• 5 months later...
I was playing a ram Tom Watson scoring system wedge. 55* (im sure it lofted a bit more due to age.) and I think more than a double digit number for bounce. The shaft was stiff like old school shafts always are. I remember before I replaced it I just finally got the hang of trapping the ball and swinging slightly shorter tempo and low trajectory. and the head weight is incredibly heavy. Boccieri heavy wedge can't touch this clubs weight haha Finally got new macgregor VIP forged wedges (pre-2010) and I believe the shafts are true temper "wedge shafts" the tech stuff in the description says they are "uniflex" I was okay with this early on cause the feel was nice and there were no need to swing hard but now im starting to think the soft flex helps spin a bit too much when the bitey non conforming milled grooves do the job already. Shots are high and much shorter than before with the Watson BeCu wedge. In short im looking for a shaft that has good feel and weight while still creating somewhat of a lower trajectory. Would anybody recommend a shaft with a high kick point in regular flex? For feel purposes? Or something that has a mid kick point in stiff? I saw kbs hi-rev...they are pricey but like a driver shaft I dont mind spending the money on one or two shafts opposed to a whole iron set...(from kbs that is)

Note: This thread is 4385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!