IGNORED

My new SkyCaddie "SG3"...Review

Note: This thread is 6023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just got it...just loaded it up...just used it...couldn't be happier!!!

I've played with guys who had the original model (the SG2) and thought they were great. Then I saw the news about the "next generation" models coming out. I chose the SG3 over the SG4 because of the simplicity.....2 AA batteries vs a rechargable battery. AA's are cheap enough, keep a spare pack in my bag and I am always "ready-to-go" vs the rechargable battery which I know I will probably FORGET to charge up before I go out and play (not to mention the recharging cables and charging unit that I will probably end up losing anyway).

The graphics and displays are INCREDIBLE!!! Just yesterday I played and was hitting the ball REALLY well (I'm a 9) and shot a 76. I can honestly say if I had my GS3 YESTERDAY I might have brought that down to a 73? There were a number of holes that my approach shots were hit well and were right on line.....just to come up 30 feet short or long from the hole because I'm basing my distance from sprinkler heads?

Here's what I learned by using it ONE TIME.....

#1. My playing partner pushed his approach shot WAY to the right of a green. He had NO line of sight at all, let alone "yardage markers". My SG3 told him he was 34 yards to the edge, 44 to center, and 53 to the back of the green....from the RIGHT SIDE of a hole he couldn't even see!!! Now the good news...the "Intelligreen" feature actually "turns" the green to give you the yardage from whatever direction you approach. Had he been 34 yards from the FRONT of the green the center would have been 49 and the back 58...because the green would have been DEEPER at that angle!!!

#2. When you hit your tee shot, push the "MARK" button on the SG3. When you get to your ball push it again and it tells you EXACTLY how far you hit your drive. If you do this on every shot pretty soon you will know EXACTLY how far you hit each club. Then, with the SG3 telling you the correct yardage all you do is match up the right club! I learned that I hit a normal 7 iron 144 yards, NOT the 150 I thought I did....no wonder I was always short?

#3. It let me play a par 5 hole BACKWARDS. Maybe I should explain? I normaly bang a driver off the tee, then a fairway wood, then a wedge....a wedge that have to "finesse" and hope I don't chunk it or scull it because I'm trying to figure how hard to swing it. With the SG3 I teed off with an easy to control 3 wood(right down the middle), then the SG3 told me how far away I was. By know I had learned I hit a full easy 8 iron 137 yards. So I subtracted that from where I was and ended up hitting a 5 iron(right down the midde) and then my 8 iron pin high!(missed the birdie putt). I would never have thought to go 3 wood, 5 iron, 8 iron into a par 5 before this...and you STAY in the fairway!!!

#4. Another guy in our group sliced his tee shot into the NEXT fairway on a par 4. He could see the green, but you know what it's like trying to figure distance from another fairway at a different angle??? My SG3 gave him the EXACT distance to the green!!! He sliced it again, but at least he KNEW the correct yardage!!!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you, I went with the SG3 because I can change batteries "on the fly".

I'm actually going to give mine a shake down cruise this saturday and sunday. I think it'll lower my and most others scores.

Driver: King Cobra SS
Woods: Nicklaus 3, 5, 7
Irons: Nicklaus Iron Max
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 50*, 56*, 60*
Putter: Odyssey White HotBall: Titleist NXT Tour or GranZHome course: Dogwood Country Club

Like you, I went with the SG3 because I can change batteries "on the fly".

I'd say "wish you luck" but I don't think I need to....you're gonna love it!

I played at an exclusive private club here in Los angeles last Sunday as a guest. The 3 members I played with had ALL been members of the club for at LEAST 20 years. As SOON as we finished 2 of them bought an SG3 on their way home...I know this because they called and asked me a few questions. Even playing the SAME course every week for YEARS they saw the benefits after just one round using mine.

You're right, I loved it. Club selection was a no brainer. No looking for markers or sprinkler heads, just drive up , take club, hit.

Easily 5-6 stroke improvement, maybe more tomorrow. 1:40 tee time.

Putter: Odyssey White HotBall: Titleist NXT Tour or GranZHome course: Dogwood Country Club

I got the SG2 for Christmas last year and love it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the SG3 or SG4. How long do the AAs last in the SG3? Can you get in a complete round of 18 with a single pair?
In the Bag:
Driver: R7 425
FW Woods: SQ
4-PW: MP-57
GW: 252-08SW: MP-T Black Ni 56-14LW: MP-T Black Ni 60-05Putter: White Hot #5 CSBall: Pro-V1

I got the SG2 for Christmas last year and love it. I'm thinking of upgrading to the SG3 or SG4. How long do the AAs last in the SG3? Can you get in a complete round of 18 with a single pair?

makgolfn,

The AA's last 2 and a half rounds. A friend of mine with the SG4 (with the rechargable battery) gets the same thing on one charge. I just felt (and still do) slapping a couple of batteries in was a lot easier than connecting it my computer to recharge it....and then remembering I left it there when I got to the course! I always leave my SG3 in my bag, along with a pack of spare AA's, and I'm ready to go!

Sound like you and I have about the same routine. Its in the bag and if I have my clubs I have the Skycaddy and spare batteries.

you read my mind mrbillinoc, I'm going to get one soon and was debating between the SG2 and SG3..I like the AA batteries thing too..have enough chargers these days..

Did you buy one of those attachements that you can put it on your cart or just keep it in your bag?

Is it much bigger than the SG2?

So the things the SG3 has over the SG2 is the AA batteries, bigger screen..how is the display in sunlight?

I actually went to the store where I got my cell phone and bought a suction device that holds the phone to the windshield of a car. It works great for the SG3 on a golf cart window.

And its only about $25.

most of the carts where I play unfortunately don't have windows..I've seen these cup holder devices, aftermarket, that you can use to hole your unit..but then you lose a holefor whatever.

I actually went to the store where I got my cell phone and bought a suction device that holds the phone to the windshield of a car. It works great for the SG3 on a golf cart window.

you read my mind mrbillinoc, I'm going to get one soon and was debating between the SG2 and SG3..I like the AA batteries thing too..have enough chargers these days..

Maverick,

The SG2 is a great unit, but the display on the SG3 is just soooo much better! Especially when you get to the lay-up screens which show you the carry yardages of traps, creeks, etc. With the difference in price so small I highly recommend going with the new model. Also, I did buy the "Temporary Cart Mount" bracket and it is great. Yeah, it was $69, but when your out on the course it makes it so nice. I leave my SG3 in it most of the time, but when I'm on a hole that is "Cart-Path-Only" I just pop it out of the bracket and slip it into my pocket and walk to my ball. Oh, and the bracket mount folds so small I keep it in my golf bag as well. I played two nice courses here in So. Calif this weekend, Strawberry Farms and Coyote Hills, and BOTH had cart-mounted GPS systems already on them. The features on the SG3 are so much more usefull that I never ONCE looked at the cart-mounted systems!

Maverick,

I just ordered one today..TGW has them for $269, shipped. Put it in your "cart" and you will see the discount in price.

Discount code: CHRISTMAS (but I believe it's automatically included when you order)

mrbillinoc, I was looking at the Sky Caddie membership site and if you could explain this better:

Maximum number of Playlists available in the online SkyVault (additional Playlists may be purchased for each membership plan above par): 3 - "Birdie" plan $29.95/yr.

Maximum number of published SkyCourses stored on the SkyCaddie:10 - (same plan)

so does this mean I can hold 30 courses altogether 3 X 10?

mrbillinoc, I was looking at the Sky Caddie membership site and if you could explain this better:

Mav, I simply took the "Birdie" plan that gives you all the courses in your state. Your SkyCaddie will hold ten at a time, but i didn't feel the need to get more "folders" to store more courses in because to delete and add a course on your unit take about a minute on the computer. If I'm going to play a course that's not one of my favorite "local 10" I just drop one and add the new one. You can do this as often as you want and there's no charge aside from your original "Birdie Plan". I'm in So. Calif, so if I was going on a trip up to the San Francisco area all I would do is take the USB cable with me (the one that connects your SkyCaddie to your PC) and simply download any course I choose to play up there. Since you will have a log-on to SkyCaddie's website you can access it from any computer at any time.

If you ever see a guy at Kinko's downloading golf courses to a little gadget stop and say hi.....it's probably me!!!

Thats the plan I got too.

I'm in Georgia, but if I want to go to another state, you can add a state to the Birdie Plan for $5.00, so if I want to vacation at Myrtle Beach, SC, $5 and I have access to all those courses also.

Do they have every course, public and private in their database?
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

Do they have every course, public and private in their database?

Wood,

You can go to their website www.skygolf.com and look up all the courses they have in their system. You DO NOT have to have a SkyCaddie or even an account with them to do this. It's real easy, so this way you can check all your local courses and see if they are there (I'll bet they are). Let me know how it goes?

Considering the SG3 vs. the SureShot, does anyone have experience to share about the accuracy/quality of the 1 & 2 star "amateur" courses submitted by users? The sureshot is pretty slim on courses, though oddly OK around NYC (where I am) but the skycaddie courses around here are largely 1 & 2 star...
Cleveland - HiBore XL (9.5* Fuji Fit-On Gold Stiff)
Bobby Jones/Jesse Ortiz - 3W & 21* H3 (Stock Stiff)
Ben Hogan - Apex FTX 4-FW (Apex 4 shafts)
TaylorMade - rac TP 56.12 satin & 60.6 black
Scotty Cameron - Mil-Spec Newport 2 (33" standard)

Note: This thread is 6023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!