IGNORED

Favorite Golf Book...

Hogan Fan
Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just wondering if anyone likes to read golf books as much as I do.
my Favorites list..
"Strokes of Genius" - Thomas Boswell
"The Eternal Summer" - Curt Sampson
"A Good Walk Spoiled" - John Feinstein
"Augusta" - Steve Eubanks
"Hogan" - Curt Sampson
"And Then Jack Said to Arnie" - Don Wade
"The Majors" - John Feinstein
"Ben Hogan's Secret" - Bob Thomas
"Links" - Lorne Rubenstein
Currently reading "Two Years in St. Andrews" by George Peper and loving it!
My favorite out of all these is "The Eternal Summer" by Curt Sampson. (Palmer,Nicklaus and Hogan in 1960, Golf's golden year).
Nothing like kicking back on a cold winter day with a hot cup of joe, a pot of hot chili and a good golf book!
T-Bone Marshall
Home Course: www.waldenponds.com (74.1/134) 7001 yds
in my bag
Driver: Big Ben cs3 10.5 Stiff/Draw set up
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Nice, those books are classics! I love reading golf books. I especially love the history of it: how the game was shaped and who the big guns were.

To add to your list:

"Down the Fairway" by Bobby Jones
"Golf is My Game" by Bobby Jones
"Sir Walter" by Tom Clavin
"The Greatest Game Ever Played" by Mark Frost (way better than that lame-a** movie they made of it)
"Payne Stewart" by Tracey Stewart
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

Thanks Kid. You made me realize I don't have any of Bobby Jones' books in my library.
You sound like a guy who tapes a lot of golf tournaments like me, I have every major on tape since 1985. My favorite tapes to watch are 86 Masters/Nicklaus, and the 95 British/Daly.
T-Bone Marshall
in my bag
Fairway: Hogan Edge 3,5 metal:Irons: Hogan Radial-Apex shaftWedge: Hogan "Tom Kite" 56* Radial "E" wedgePutter: Affinity vr7 "V-Rod" pro-v1x ball2 markers, Disney divot tool,...

Michael Murphy's "Golf in the Kingdom" and "Kingdom of Shivas Irons" are absolutely amazing . They'll blow you away, and have you enjoying the game even more. It's almost a golf/spiritual awakening!

And if you're working on the mental side of your game (as we all should be), read Dr. Bob Rotella's "Golf is not a Game of Perfect". His other books, such as "Golf is a Game of Confidence" are good, but not as good as that 1st one...which is a mental golf must.

"Keep it in the short grass."

Driver: Titleist 905R 9.5 deg., w/ ProForce V2 shaft
3W: Callaway X-Hot 15 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff
Hybrid/Util: Callaway Heavenwood 2H, 17 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff Hybrid/Util: Hogan 3H 21 deg., TT Dyn.Gld stiffIrons: Callaway X-18 Pro Series, 3-PW, TT Dyn. Gld...

Thanks, I have "Golf in the Kingdom" on my Christmas list this year.

T-Bone Marshall
in my bag

I received the "History of Golf" (by Michael Williams) as a Christmas gift from my sister-in-law a few years ago that I thoroughly enjoyed.

In My Bag:
Driver: M-500 9.5° (Aldila NV 65-S Shaft)
Irons: MP60 3-PW DG S300
Wedges: Vokey Spin-Milled Chrome 54.10/60.04
Putter: Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2 Ball: Pro V1x

If your a John Daly Fan, check out his new book, "My life in & out of the rough", it's an easy read and IMO worth the read, love Daly.

Another must read, funnier than hell....is Rick Reillys book called " Who's Your Caddy?"......you won't put it down. Actually all of Reillys books are good....do a google search.

Hey, This was my first post.........

Welcome WFO!

Those books look great. Reilly is awesome, I agree.

"Keep it in the short grass."

Driver: Titleist 905R 9.5 deg., w/ ProForce V2 shaft
3W: Callaway X-Hot 15 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff
Hybrid/Util: Callaway Heavenwood 2H, 17 deg., Grafalloy Blue stiff Hybrid/Util: Hogan 3H 21 deg., TT Dyn.Gld stiffIrons: Callaway X-18 Pro Series, 3-PW, TT Dyn. Gld...

Great topic!, Ive been looking for some good golf reads lately.

I'll have to pick a few of the ones mentioned up.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

Phil's book, One Magical Sunday, is a great read.
Driver - TaylorMade R9 460 10.5°
3 Wood - TaylotMade Burner Tour
3 & 4 Hybrids - Adams a7
Irons - R7 tp 5-PW
Wedges - Vokey SM Black Nickel - 52º - 56º - 60ºPutter - Scotty Cameron California - SonomaSkyCaddie - SG4Lowest Round - 68 - Par 72 /67.6/120Lowest Tournament Round - 69 -...

Thanks Kid. You made me realize I don't have any of Bobby Jones' books in my library.

Having those on tapes are great,should get them copied on CD, your pushing the life of the tapes, hate to hear the tapes dried out or started breaking while watching your fav shot.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Having those on tapes are great,should get them copied on CD, your pushing the life of the tapes, hate to hear the tapes dried out or started breaking while watching your fav shot.

Totally. I converted a lot of mine over.

Also, Hogan Fan, if you like the Bobby books, he did an instructional series (I think the first one) about golf. They were shown in movie theatres before features back in the '30's. Hence, they have little cheesy stories and (from Bob, anyway) bad acting. But, even Bob makes fun of his own acting, so it's really funny. It's pretty amazing to see his talent. He was amazing. It's almost sickening. Also, it's interesting to hear his accent. It's a real deep South one. Sounds like he has marbles in his mouth. I know you can get them from the Golf Channel and other places. They're awesome. Check them out! [It's also funny that golf stories haven't changed much since then either. There's one about an employee trying to sneak away from work to golf. One about a wife sick of her husband always going off to golf. One about a putting contest/betting. At least golf remains unchanged throughout the years.]
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

I just picked up

"Strokes of Genius" - Thomas Boswell (Thanks Hoganfan)

and

"Just and range ball in a box of Titleists" - Gary McCord

Looking forward to reading both of them!
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

Some of my favourites:

Golf in the Kingdom: Michael Murphy
In Search of Burningbush (piggy-backs Kinngdom a bit) Michael Konik
Final Rounds and Ben Hogan by James Dobson
Both books by Mark Frost: The Greatest Game Ever Played and The Grand Slam; both have great historical context mixed in with the golf.

Out of all of these, I think Final Rounds is probably my favourite.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

hrvey penicks little red book is great

in the book he gives great advice to anyone who wants to improve their short game

go to a practice green and take 1 ball plus your wedge and a putter.
all holes are par 2's and you have to chip to a designated hole, and than go up and finish the hole. play it as your own mini golf game, and you'll be suprised how much better you can get, instead of hitting about 10 balls to a hole without having to putt them in.

Note: This thread is 5824 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!