IGNORED

Titleist 909 vs 910 driver, is it worth it to upgrade if you only need standard settings???

Note: This thread is 4337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking to replace my Nike SQ5900 driver with a Titleist D2, I was fitted for a 910 D2 9.5 degrees with a Ka'ali stiff and I had a launch angle of 11.2 and the RPM's in the 2300-2400 range. The setting of the club was A1 and had very little dispersion. Now, the question is, since my settings are pretty much standard, should I spend $400 for this driver or buy a 909 D2 9.5 degrees  with a Diamina Bulueboard stiff since I can buy it on ebay at half the price of the 910. I just wanted to know what the opinion is form those that have played both. Thanks in advance.

:sunmountain: C 130 Cart Bag :titleist: 910 D2 Driver 8.5° Fujikura ROMBAX 7Z08 Stiff (280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (240 yds) :mizuno: MP 58 4i to PW PX 6.0 (210-200-185-170-160-145-135 yds) vokey.gif  50°/6 (120) 55°/10 (105) 60°/4(90)

:nike: Untitized Tiempo putter Ball: any top ball on sale, currently Srixon Z Star Tour yellow.

To be honest, I rather the feel of my 909D2 compared to the 910. My friend was also fitted with the Kaali and to me it felt very tinny as opposed to the solid feel that my driver has. I suspect that may be the shaft but If I was you I'd save some money buy the 909, and buy a shaft off ebay that you like/tried and save a dollars.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I don't know about the feel on the 910, it felt pretty good to me when I hit it during the fitting. Probably the best thing to do is to go to Golsmith and hit the 909 and 910 in the track man and compare and see if there's any difference regarding distance/trajectory/launch angle/spin rate. I don't think the head from the 909 is very different from the 910 except for the adjustable hosel. So if I need standard settings only I not sure is worth it to spend the extra $200, probably I can save that when the time comes for the mp-53s....

:sunmountain: C 130 Cart Bag :titleist: 910 D2 Driver 8.5° Fujikura ROMBAX 7Z08 Stiff (280 yds)
titleist.gif 909 F2 #3 13.5° Blueboard S- (260 yrs) titleist.gif 909 H 17° Voodoo S (240 yds) :mizuno: MP 58 4i to PW PX 6.0 (210-200-185-170-160-145-135 yds) vokey.gif  50°/6 (120) 55°/10 (105) 60°/4(90)

:nike: Untitized Tiempo putter Ball: any top ball on sale, currently Srixon Z Star Tour yellow.

what is your swing speed?  are you swinging up on the ball?  or are you swinging level through the ball?

are you switching because your current driver isn't "performing" anymore? are you losing distance compared to when you first bought it?  and did the Nike outperform the last driver you had?  do you feel that you'd be "missing out" on something if you didn't buy the Titleist?

i'm asking because i'm running the numbers you gave through the trajectory software and trying to figure out how they came up with those numbers and the recommendation.

brad

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

HI Brad,

I started playing approx 3 years ago and during my first season I bough my set of nike irons as well as the SUMO2 driver and FW#3. Last year I replaced the FW for a Titleist 909 F2 13.5 and there was a huge difference in how consistently I hitted it compared to the Nike. Another thing is that it is starting to anoy me the square head and that's why I was looking for a new driver. I'm hitting it OK although I'm not getting much roll at all. I took it to the fitting day and the spin rate was in the 4000. My swing speed is around 105-107. During the fitting day I tested multiple drivers including the R11, Nike VR pro, Callaway octane, PING G15 and the TItleist. THe one I hit the best was the Titleist D2 910 10.5 degrees with a Ka'ali stiff with the numbers I mentioned before. COmpared to my driver I gained 15-20 yards. The next one in like was the PING G15 with a Serrano stiff. Most importanly I was very consistent with the ball flight driving it to the middle.

I hope I answered your question.

Quote:

I don't know about the feel on the 910, it felt pretty good to me when I hit it during the fitting. Probably the best thing to do is to go to Golsmith and hit the 909 and 910 in the track man and compare and see if there's any difference regarding distance/trajectory/launch angle/spin rate. I don't think the head from the 909 is very different from the 910 except for the adjustable hosel. So if I need standard settings only I not sure is worth it to spend the extra $200, probably I can save that when the time comes for the mp-53s....

Your Golfsmith has a Trackman indoors?!?! The ones I've been to have those Vector machines.

Obviously in times when Bubba launches the ball super high with super low spin, everything isn't straight forward in fitting for optimum. Isn't that launch angle/spin rate both on the lower end?

SS 105-107 = 280 yards

« Keith »

I would say it is not so easy to say 105-107=280 ....... there are so many variables, but it is a best about x2.5 ..... so something like 260-270 but that would mean a smash factor of very close to max 1.5 ...... the average better hacker (6.9) might reach about 1.4-1.45 ....... so it would be fair to say 235-250 .....

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

As you said, the local Golfsmith has a Vector machine which to me is crap since I went there to test some clubs and my swing speed there was between 115-120 and per that machine I was sometime carrying the ball 300 yds with 15-20 yards of extra roll. So to answer your question, no, I was not fitted at Golfsmith. The fitting I had was in a golfrange with some pro's which brought a TRACKMAN and as I said before I tested my driver as well as the others I mentioned. Distances there where much more reasonable and concurred with what I see on the course, and the swingspeed there varied anaywhere from 104 to 111, most of them being in the 105-107 range.

Regarding the distances I have posted are all the distances I tracked with rangefinder and GPS here during the summer when it is dry and the air is thin. There is almost no altitude here, so that is not a factor. And the 280 distance it is NOT the carry distance if not the TOTAL distance (carry +roll) with a good drive when I get the ball clean. Obviously now during the winter I would be very happy if I can drive the ball 240-250 yds.

Does any of you have any comments to the original questions?

OK back to your original quest........

I would not spend $400 for a 910 if the 909 D2 brings you what you need, I actually bought a 909 D3 9.5 DVS 60-s for the same reasons......

I rather learn to hit a decent shot than use the help of an adjustment, but that is just me, I don't mind hitting 1000's of balls to get things right !!!!

I good swing is better, than a wrong swing plus adjustments IMHO......

But it is just me ;-)

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

i also swing in the same range as you and when i run the trajectory profiler 13* launch angle with about 3,000 rpm spin is about the max carry and roll out you can get.  it's not just the "take-off" that gets the total distance it's also the landing angle (around 35)*.  the Trackman does not, nor does any other launch monitor, measure the actual spinning of the ball.  all launch monitors use a logarithm (math) to deduce ball spin based on the way they track the path of the ball.  launch monitors can be set up incorrectly and give incorrect results.  if you can't get to a clubfitter then your best bet is to hit a bunch of drivers on the range and course and buy THE CLUB that you hit CONSISTENTLY well.  NOT another one LIKE it, THE CLUB that you just hit consistently well.

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

I aagree with both of you Tweeky and Gerald. I don't mind hitting tons of balls in order to improve my swing either. Most likely the best option is to go and try the 910 and 909 side by side and see if they perform the same for me and make a decision then. I would asume that there's not going to be much of a difference. Thanks for your input.

• 4 weeks later...

I am 14 yrs old but i hit it pretty far for my size and a few days ago I demoed the 910D2 9.5 w/ Aldila RIP Stiff  next to my 909Dcomp 10.5 cut down 3/4 inch. I carry about 240-255 and when I try to pound it It totals around 275. I am at 4500 feet though so. Anyways, I am facing the same problem you are, my Dcomp probably won't work for a whole lot longer with the regular flex and 10.5 loft. I want my driver to be tuned more for distance as my accuracy is not lacking and this year I am competing from farther tees back. But what i found side by side is that the 910 when I swung up on it, I got the trajectory I wanted without too much spin so the ball would get good roll. I think that shaft makes the 910 45" long which felt like a good length and as accurate if not more accurate than my 909. I was hitting the 910 about 20 yards longer, probably because of the slightely longer shaft and lower loft. So if I find a 909 D2 9.5 stiff I might take a look into it.

But I am not crazy about adjusting the golf club to hide your swing problems, I would probably keep the club at standard setting if i got it.

Who has mentioned adjusting the golf club to hide swing problems? I think adjustable drivers are a good idea. You can have one club adjusted for different players instead of 4 different models. If you change your swing, making it faster or changing the launch conditions, you may want to adjust the loft up or down. Not to hide a swing flaw, but adjust the driver to a different impact position.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just switched from a Titleist 909 D3 to a Taylormade Burner 2.0 TP. The 910 D3 was first on my list of drivers to test out because I have hit Titleist drivers and liked them (up until my 909) for the past 4-5 years. It only took 3 balls with the 910 to realize how much I disliked it. I think it has to do with the fact that it can be adjusted at the hozzle. The driver seemed to have a different feel to it that I absolutely did not like. I am a feel player and the feel of that driver did not suit me at all. The Taylormade driver felt much better. I am not trying to sell you on the Taylormade driver by any means. Just simply giving my experience with the 910 that I hit. Good luck with your decision!

Titleist 905T 9.5* (Mitsubishi Rayon JAVLN FX V7)

Titleist 909F2 13.5* (Oban Devotion 7)

Titleist 906F4 15.5* (Aldila VS Proto 80-S)

Cobra S3 Pro Forged-M 3-PW (DG SL300's hard stepped)

Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54* & 60*

Scotty Cameron Circa 62

Titleist 9.5 S83 Staff Bag

FJ Icon, Sport, and DryJoy's

I really wanted the new 910, it's a beautiful driver and I love the feel.  Went to the shop to trade in a few clubs towards one but ended up finding a bunch of 909 D2s in the used section.  I hit 4 different setups of the 909 and about the same of the 910.  In the end I went with a 909 D2 9.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff shaft.  Numbers were very similar to the best of the 910s I hit.  As cool as the adjustability is I don't think I need it right now.  My driver swing is pretty crap at the moment anyway so I like having a pretty neutral setup as I work on fixing my swing.  Also...I'm afraid I would just keep tinkering with the damn thing and never really settle in with it.  Overall I'm pretty happy with my used 909.  It was marked at $150 so rather than adding $235 to my trade in clubs to get the 910 I walked out with the 909 and a box of Pro V1x balls for no money out of pocket.  After two rounds with it I'm driving the ball better and straighter then I have before.

Driver- titleist.gif 909D2 9.5* 
Fairway Wood- titleist.gif 909F2 15.5* w/ Diamana Blue stiff
Hybrid- titleist.gif 909H 19* 
Irons- mizuno.gifMX-200 4-PW, vokey.gifSM 50.8 bent to 51*, SM 56.11, and TVD 60*M
Putter- cameron.gif Newport 2.5 

Originally Posted by Zeph

Who has mentioned adjusting the golf club to hide swing problems? I think adjustable drivers are a good idea. You can have one club adjusted for different players instead of 4 different models. If you change your swing, making it faster or changing the launch conditions, you may want to adjust the loft up or down. Not to hide a swing flaw, but adjust the driver to a different impact position.

I concur with Zeph's comment - unless one is perfectly happy with their swing today, it is likely that you'll be constantly tweaking to get better, and that club that optimizes launch for you today will not fit you tomorrow, so that $400 driver may cost a lot now but save you money a couple years from now.      I'm kind of surprised that more of the club manufacturers don't tout that the adjustability is not just to optimize your current launch conditions but also to give you a club that can adapt with your swing changes as you try and improve.     Of course as I think about it more, I guess I'm not surprised as this "selling feature" would lead to people not upgrading to the latest and greatest as often.

• 2 months later...

finally deicided towards the 909, I found a used 909 D3 9.5 degrees in excellent condition with a Fujikura Rombax 7Z08 stiff for $140 on ebay. This club is superb, excellent penetrating ball flight, super long. can't be happier. This combination is what I was after and it would have been around $500 to have it new in a 910 since is considered an upgrade shaft and they upcharge you for it. I'm not going to have the possibility to tweak it, but I think I can deal with it.

The good shafts will make a lot of difference ..while the head not that much. Glad that you found one that work best for you.
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Note: This thread is 4337 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!