IGNORED

I bought a road bike!

Ben
Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Started cycling on a fitness/hybrid bike in late 2007.  Have lost 60 lbs.  Bought a REAL road bike this year and I'm killing it out there.  Did my first metric century a few weeks ago (62 miles).  Cycling has actually taken away some of my golf time but I'm in better shape because of it.  It's definitely addictive.  But that's a good thing.

IMG_8301.JPG

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

Started cycling on a fitness/hybrid bike in late 2007.  Have lost 60 lbs.  Bought a REAL road bike this year and I'm killing it out there.  Did my first metric century a few weeks ago (62 miles).  Cycling has actually taken away some of my golf time but I'm in better shape because of it.  It's definitely addictive.  But that's a good thing.

Wow, that is a hot bike!

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 1 month later...

Going for it this week. I want to ride at least 4 days, 10mi per day min. Did 10.5 yesterday and 14.25 today!

Got myself a bike rack, today was my first away ride in Santa Clarita, with a buddy.

PenandGeo.JPG

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hi Ben, looks like a fun bike to ride Sure can be addictive as I think you´ve already discovered!

This is my first post here but I read elsewhere your game had improved after picking up the bike. Curious to hear if you´re still increasing your rides and if your game is progressing along with it. I used to ride a lot myself, now it´s just the casual stroll but I do notice that I´m usually playing better if I´ve ridden the bike earlier that day. I think it´s because it helps me relax and free my mind but who knows.

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

Originally Posted by CBO

Hi Ben, looks like a fun bike to ride Sure can be addictive as I think you´ve already discovered!

This is my first post here but I read elsewhere your game had improved after picking up the bike. Curious to hear if you´re still increasing your rides and if your game is progressing along with it. I used to ride a lot myself, now it´s just the casual stroll but I do notice that I´m usually playing better if I´ve ridden the bike earlier that day. I think it´s because it helps me relax and free my mind but who knows.

Hey CBO, welcome to thesandtrap!

Rode four days last week for a total of 46miles. The funny thing is, I have no idea if its helping golf at this point. I work at a course and have been stuck in the golf shop far too much lately. Not really playing as much as I'd like. But, when I did play last, I left my clubs on the cart, but walked the course. I did feel like I was carrying around much less weight. I suppose there is something to be said for that. I played good too, 3under, but certainly not sharp. I'm excited for the times when I can put riding a lot together with playing and practicing a lot. I have a feeling golf will be pretty good!

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Cheers Ben! I've been reading along for quite some time now but as a beginner never felt I could contribute much. Riding bikes has been my life for many years though :)

Sounds like you're on the right track, I think you'll soon ride further and further as you get more used to being on the bike. Keep us updated on how you do on the bike and if you think riding it makes a difference for you out on the course? I can imagine a better overall fitness will be beneficial when walking a round so you don't get tired on the last few holes. Maybe some added strength in your legs can make for a more stable and powerful swing as well? Not sure how much actual power is involved in that or if it's more control and timing?

Anyway, enjoy the bike and be safe out there! It's a great sport as well :)

C

Birdies 4 Elephants - raising money and awareness for elephants while out playing golf :)

• 2 weeks later...

My dad is on his third Trek Madone I think...dude is crazy.  I mean it's a horse a piece, I spend too much on golf...but I don't drop $2,500 on the frame alone for a bike :P But at least he uses it, does a couple hundred miles a week. I joke that most people who see him don't likely think he's 54 because he's so scrawny and wirery from riding so much for so many years.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Ugh, I went on a 14mi ride tonight within an hour of totally pigging out on Korean BBQ. That was a bad move.

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Hey Ben - have been unbelievably busy at work but did want to respond.  I'm big on biking gear simply because of the miles that I ride.  When I've got the time not unusual to do 30-40 miles on an evening ride.  And 50-60 on Sunday morning is my normal ride distance.  When I wasn't golfing so much (I know - tragic) a normal Saturday ride was 60-80 miles.  At those sorts of distances proper gear is a must.  The technical material is nice for the wicking/evaporation properties.  Gets humid here (western Virginia) so anything made of cotton is a no-no.  The seamless nature of cycling shorts is a big positive as is the chamois - not so much for the padding (you get used to the saddle over time) but because of the low chafing risk.  Had a friend who wouldn't go bare under his cycling shorts and literally rubbed his legs raw one ride.  The jersey pockets are incredibly handy - food/chapstick in right hand pocket, patch kit and spare tube in the middle and phone in left hand (I'm a creature of habit!).  I also have been using cleated shoes for years - I used to race bicycles and the increase in efficiency is amazing.

As you build miles I'd recommend trying a pair of shorts (I prefer bib style).  After all, you CAN play golf with wooden clubs but you probably DO want to play with something more technically capable.  Either way - enjoy your road time.  Cycling is a great sport.

Originally Posted by Ben

Thanks Stealth. I think I'm set up pretty good. The dude I bought this off was the same height and body type as me, and I feel comfortable using the same set up he did. Other then the sore butt mentioned above, which is actually getting better as I ride more. Why are you so big on biker gear? I am looking to get a jersey, but really only to look cool. Quite honestly I'm happy with the lightweight long sleeve Ts I've been using or just regular Ts. As for shorts I just use gym shorts, not basketball style, but runner style, kinda mid-thigh. It was a little chilly out tonight so I paired those with a long leg base layer. Felt great. I should probably invest a pair in some padded shorts, but will wait until I get into longer rides.

This really is turning into something that will keep my interest. Although I'm nowhere near century rides, in the four days I've gone out, I've logged. 23miles. I could have done more tonight, but just wanted to get out for a little bit to work off the huge turkey burger I had for dinner.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by DarkPrince

I mean it's a horse a piece, I spend too much on golf...but I don't drop $2,500 on the frame alone for a bike :P

That's the fun part of both sports, you can keep spending money on new gear. Although it'll rarely make you any better it's fun to have and play around with ;)

When' it's not 9000* out with 9000% humidity (i.e. spring and fall) I'll ride this to work when I can.....

PICT2032.JPG

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

LOL, i was looking for a pic of my bike and all I have is

Trek-1500

They are a lot of fun and a good workout. Me and my wife used to ride a lot and then the baby came.

We'll get back into sooner or later.

For now I just run 10-15 miles a week with the son.

Time trial bars are an interesting addition for basic riding :P

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Originally Posted by DarkPrince

Time trial bars are an interesting addition for basic riding :P

They are just so much more comfortable compared to keeping your weight on your hands the whole time.

• 3 weeks later...

New bike. Bianchi Via Nirone 7. Yeah buddy!

Just over 78 miles since I bought it last Sunday

Bianc1-0.JPG

Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

Note: This thread is 3973 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!