IGNORED

Shopping for Super Game Improvement( SGI) Irons

Note: This thread is 4765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Find any set of cavity-backed Mizunos in good shape.  MX-19, MX-20, MX-25, MX-200/300-any of them are plenty forgiving, feel great, and you won't quickly grow tired of them.

The sole grind has a lot to do with the playability of the club -- but MPF doesn't measure it.

Something to consider.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would hit a bunch of different clubs, but be sure to pay close attention to Adams IdeaTech...

Driver: Taylor Made R9, Woods: Callaway Hyper X 3 wood, Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 20 degree Irons: Callaway X-20's, Wedge: Cleveland 588 56 degree, Putter: Cleveland CC 6 Classic Black Platinum, Ball: Noodle, Shoes: Contour

Maryland Golf and Country Club in Bel Air, MD.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Quote:

Solid Post !!

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

went back thru the listings to 2007 and didn't see my 770CFES although the 870Tis are in there.  surprised to see that they are "conventional".

KZG Gemini 9* Aldila Proto By You
Leyland COPlasma 3wd
Golfsmith Q4 19*
Louisville HyLofter 24*
Wishon 770CFEs w/Nippons
Alpha P2 wedges
Louisville EWP putter

I just bought a set of Adams V3s (w/forged irons), but I would probably try to persuade you - a newer player - toward one of Adams' other hybrid sets with over-sized heads.  The V3s are actually fairly smallish in the head design (the hybrids especially), so a brand new player might struggle with heel and toe shots.  Their A7OS Max clubs lean more toward being SGI than the V3s IMHO.  They're also available in hybrids throughout the set (3h-9h plus PW), and are probably a good bit more forgiving.  Adams touts them as their 'maximum forgiveness' clubs:

http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/a7OS_max.php

Just my $ 0.02

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

No one has said this yet but when I was shopping for SGI irons, I ended up walking out with Nike VR full cavity with the TT r300 high launch shafts. Extremely forgiving and nearly impossible not to get the ball in the air. They took my HC from the mid 20's all the way down to an 11. I have since switched to AP2 710's. I actually still have the irons for whatever reason. They're for sale now too!

Quote:

The sole grind has a lot to do with the playability of the club -- but MPF doesn't measure it.

Something to consider.

Good point. Sole grind can be expressed in two radius measurements: Heel to toe, and front-to-back. Also, some custom wedges have dynamic sole grind (a Cleveland term), which means metal is shaved away from the sole heel and toe area (called relief) to allow players to open up or close down the clubface more. Last time I looked, Vokey offered 7 basic sole grinds.

I would suggest that dynamic sole grind affects playability in terms of versatility, and is mainly of interest in specialty wedges which some but not all golfers use. MPR is concerned with overall playability of irons on standard full shots.

If you're interested in different ways to measure golf clubs, see if you can find a copy of Maltby's 2005 book, The Maltby Playability Factor (MPF) Irons . A new version is coming out, and you can get the 2005 ed. for a dollar or two if you can find it. Book is 272 pages long, full color, and has all kinds of photos and engineering drawings of vintage through modern golf irons.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!