IGNORED

Camilo and Taylormade?

Note: This thread is 4780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Is Camilo using the r11? i havent noticed until this weekend at the WGC that it looks like he is using the r11...wasnt he a big COBRA fan?

Driver taylormade.gif SLDR 12* Stiff Shaft Set Neutral
Woods- 4 Wood taylormade.gif R9 X-Stiff
Irons- adams.gif A3 Idea Steel Shaft
Wedges- Cleveland CG12 60* and 52*

Putter- Rife Antigua Island 31.5" with XL Grip

He switched to Taylormade this season. Why? I don't know. I think Taylormade stuff is crap. Even though a lot of pros play it I still think given the option to play anything they would NOT choose Taylormade clubs. But since money talks, they play what pays...

I noticed today that Camilo is playing the Burner 2.0 irons also… I thought it was really odd that a pro would be playing a "game improvement" iron like that and not something more blade-ish…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

He switched to Taylormade this season. Why? I don't know. I think Taylormade stuff is crap. Even though a lot of pros play it I still think given the option to play anything they would NOT choose Taylormade clubs. But since money talks, they play what pays...

I noticed today that Camilo is playing the Burner 2.0 irons also… I thought it was really odd that a pro would be playing a "game improvement" iron like that and not something more blade-ish…

He switched because some companies write big checks. Him playing the 2.0s would probably be a result of him testing a lot of irons and determining those fit his game the best. Some amateurs should follow in his foot steps instead of thinking that since the handicap has dropped they need to switch to a "players iron".

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

I like to think that pros don't switch for the money, but in most cases, money is what makes golfers change sponsers. tiger woods did it and nike golf took off like crazy. the more pros use a certain companies clubs, the more revenue. I don't blame pros for switching. A lot of average americans hate it when a player switches teams for the money, but heck, I believe most people would switch for the extra million dollars.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I like to think that pros don't switch for the money, but in most cases, money is what makes golfers change sponsers. tiger woods did it and nike golf took off like crazy. the more pros use a certain companies clubs, the more revenue. I don't blame pros for switching. A lot of average americans hate it when a player switches teams for the money, but heck, I believe most people would switch for the extra million dollars.

Give me 10,000 and I will switch right now to TM.

Seriously, this is a job and in the end a financial decision.  If switching to TM from Cobra is going to give him more endorsement dollars and not hurt his game then it's an easy decision for him.  Further, if he thinks this will help his game then he could move up in the world rankings and win a few more tournaments then maybe he wanted to switch.  Either way, you have to think that he has weighed this carefully so that it works in his best interest both short and long term.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Don't be so foolish to believe these guys don't switch endorsements for $$$$. Golf is a business for professionals. I commend Camilo to switch endorsements if he can capitalize on the opportunity. SVTgolfer, you are entitled to your personal opinion, but to dub a manufacturer like Taylor Made to be crap is a pretty lofty statement. TM may not make a product that is conducive to your game, but to say they are crap is unrealistic...

• Upvote 1
Driver: Taylor Made R9, Woods: Callaway Hyper X 3 wood, Hybrid: Cleveland Mashie 20 degree Irons: Callaway X-20's, Wedge: Cleveland 588 56 degree, Putter: Cleveland CC 6 Classic Black Platinum, Ball: Noodle, Shoes: Contour

Maryland Golf and Country Club in Bel Air, MD.

Part of this could also be related to the sale of Cobra Golf from Titleist to Puma. It seems quite a few Cobra staffers seem to have made the switch around the same time that it was announced that the sale was a possibility and then when it actually happened.

:cobra: Fly-Z+ White
:callaway: XR 3 Wood
:adams: Idea Pro Black 21*
:callaway: XR 4 Hybrid
:callaway: Apex 5, Apex Pro 6,7 Apex MB 8,9,P
:tmade: 50° Gap Wedge
:callaway: Mack Daddy 2 54° 58°
:nike: Method 001 33"

Camilo is playing the Superfast/Burner equipment configuration...probably because they gave him a shit-ton of money to play/advertise those specific products, which are their highest sellers since they're the most game-improvement.

His Burner 2.0's are NOTHING like the ones you buy off the rack. For a few weeks, he was playing a set that didn't have the stupid black finish on them, but now he's got a black set. He gave an interview somewhere where he talked about how the sole grinds, effective bounces etc. of the clubs are highly customized. You can check out C.V.s gear here on this slide show from Golf.Com.

BTW - it's not as if the Cobra equipment he was playing was any good, so playing the lesser TM stuff, even while tweaked, is probably still an improvement.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

Dude, are you serious?  Next time you're watching golf, notice how many pros sponsored by manufacturers other than Taylormade and hitting the (obviously white) TM Burner or R11.  Off the top of my head, Fred Couples (Bridgestone) and Luke Donald (Mizuno) are using TM by choice even though they're sponsored by other companies.  There are a lot of other pros doing the same thing.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Quote:

His Burner irons are very different do the ones you find in golf stores. They have a different finish and less offset than the standard version so that they set up like more of a player's iron.

The 2.0s actually look decent at address and with the changes in Camilo's irons, they probably compare to the Cobra CBs he was playing.

Because when Camilo bombs 200+ yard shots with a 5-iron, it surely benefits TaylorMade's marketing strategy.

Originally Posted by nickel_aTm

Dude, are you serious?  Next time you're watching golf, notice how many pros sponsored by manufacturers other than Taylormade and hitting the R11.  Off the top of my head, Fred Couples (Bridgestone) and Luke Donald (Mizuno) are using TM by choice even though they're sponsored by other companies.  There are a lot of other pros doing the same thing.

Or even still hitting the R7...it wouldn't surprise me to see one painted white with a pro shaft painted to look stock.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Give me 10,000 and I will switch right now to TM.

Seriously, this is a job and in the end a financial decision.  If switching to TM from Cobra is going to give him more endorsement dollars and not hurt his game then it's an easy decision for him.  Further, if he thinks this will help his game then he could move up in the world rankings and win a few more tournaments then maybe he wanted to switch.  Either way, you have to think that he has weighed this carefully so that it works in his best interest both short and long term.

heck yeah, give me 10,000 and I will play whatever.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

I hit the Taylormade Tour Preferred Musclebacks today. They felt pretty rough compared to the Titleist, Mizuno, and Nike offerings. I can see why he's not playing them.

titleistprov1x |nikeneo |●| callawayx-forged 54/60 |● |mizunoMP68

adamsproblack 3H |●| mizunoMPtitanium5w/3w |●| mizunoMP630FT

Hahahahaha, I knew saying that Taylormade was crap would ruffle some peoples feathers… There's so many devote, brain washed followers… Hahaha

But seriously, it is crap. Its mass produced and feels cheap. Taylormade  acts under the rule "quantity over quality." Most people that buy it have just seen too many commercials OR had it stuffed down their throat at the golf store by uneducated sales people. I have tried Taylormade products, several times. I gamed a 2010 Raylor hybrid, which I promptly returned. Ive hit the Burner drivers (which suck!) and the R9's several times (which were just ok) but I didn't like them enough to put them in the bag. I purchased some R9 TP's several months ago, played them 5 times, and got rid of them (they were terrible!!) and recently I have hit the new R11 driver, and it feels decent, but there are other drivers that are better (Adams, Ping, Titleist, etc…) and they don't look gay. That R11 looks like a big freakin goose egg. Its fugly!

It all comes down to marketing. Titleist does it with their ProV1 and Taylormade does it with their drivers… AND THEY SELL BECAUSE OF IT!! People will believe anything they see on TV or read in a magazine. If you claim anything is the #1 whatever "in golf" or "on the tour" people will buy it, doesn't matter if its good or not. NOW, part of that marketing strategy is paying pros to play their products. This is not new, business' have been doing it since the beginning of modern business!

Im not a band wagon type of person. I like to play what works, not what everyone else "says" is the best.

… And Taylormade is crap… LOL

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Hahahahaha, I knew saying that Taylormade was crap would ruffle some peoples feathers… There's so many devote, brain washed followers… Hahaha

But seriously, it is crap. Its mass produced and feels cheap. Taylormade  acts under the rule "quantity over quality." Most people that buy it have just seen too many commercials OR had it stuffed down their throat at the golf store by uneducated sales people. I have tried Taylormade products, several times. I gamed a 2010 Raylor hybrid, which I promptly returned. Ive hit the Burner drivers (which suck!) and the R9's several times (which were just ok) but I didn't like them enough to put them in the bag. I purchased some R9 TP's several months ago, played them 5 times, and got rid of them (they were terrible!!) and recently I have hit the new R11 driver, and it feels decent, but there are other drivers that are better (Adams, Ping, Titleist, etc…) and they don't look gay. That R11 looks like a big freakin goose egg. Its fugly!

It all comes down to marketing. Titleist does it with their ProV1 and Taylormade does it with their drivers… AND THEY SELL BECAUSE OF IT!! People will believe anything they see on TV or read in a magazine. If you claim anything is the #1 whatever "in golf" or "on the tour" people will buy it, doesn't matter if its good or not. NOW, part of that marketing strategy is paying pros to play their products. This is not new, business' have been doing it since the beginning of modern business!

Im not a band wagon type of person. I like to play what works, not what everyone else "says" is the best.

… And Taylormade is crap… LOL

You have a lot of opinions which are based on nothing beyond your obvious lack of skill.

You aren't "ruffling feathers", you're just showing yourself to be ignorant and foolish.

I choose not to have TM clubs, but they aren't "crap".

Just because you don't have the ability to hit the sweet spot of any golf club on the planet, apparently, doesn't mean that those clubs are "crap".  That description pretty clearly defines something else....

Strange how so many pros seem to love the R9 and R11 - but you don't rate them.  I wonder whose opinion I'll listen to?

Please explain in detail WHY "Ping, Titleist etc...." are "better".  Methinks you'll be basing you opinions on marketing hype, the thing you purport to despise. Are they not mass produced?

Of course they are.  What a moronic argument you present.

All of these "terrible" clubs have one thing in common; you can't hit them.  Funny that.....

And what on earth are " businesses'  " ?

• Upvote 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

You have a lot of opinions which are based on nothing beyond your obvious lack of skill.

You aren't "ruffling feathers", you're just showing yourself to be ignorant and foolish.

I choose not to have TM clubs, but they aren't "crap".

Just because you don't have the ability to hit the sweet spot of any golf club on the planet, apparently, doesn't mean that those clubs are "crap".  That description pretty clearly defines something else....

Strange how so many pros seem to love the R9 and R11 - but you don't rate them.  I wonder whose opinion I'll listen to?

Please explain in detail WHY "Ping, Titleist etc...." are "better".  Methinks you'll be basing you opinions on marketing hype, the thing you purport to despise. Are they not mass produced?

Of course they are.  What a moronic argument you present.

All of these "terrible" clubs have one thing in common; you can't hit them.  Funny that.....

And what on earth are " businesses'  " ?

Yeah it is pretty rough to judge a company by just your experiences. Having said that, I haven't really tried TM stuff for a year or two. I used to use one of their burner hybrids which with the right shaft was a great club and of course I like my TM 3 wood too. I never liked the feel of TM's drivers though, the R9 felt dead and using my current driver combo, I dont think I'd ever change it. You can say I am a bit of a titleist fan boy, but I love the solid feel of their clubs.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

sure, some companies have a better product than others. but, you can't blame a company for their ad campaigns. they are advertising their products to the consumers. who in turn, go buy that product because of a well planned out ad. and that is marketing at it's best. be able to sell someone something that doesn't even work. which there are thousands of items in our world that sell like crazy but don't work at all.

I don't believe a golf company is going to claim they are number one in something unless they are. it's like the weekend box office. only one movie can be number one.

Note: This thread is 4780 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!