IGNORED

Is Bridgestone Taking Over???

Note: This thread is 4755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I went to play in my monthly mens club tournament this morning, and as my foursome is teeing off I realize that 3 of us are playing Bridgestone balls and only one is playing a Titleist ProV1… Hmm… Is Bridgestone making a bigger dent in the golf ball market than most people realize??? Im starting to believe it.

….. Thoughts?

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

I don't think they are taking over. pro v1 is established in the golf world. bridgestone has great balls, but people like to play the pro v1 cause people think highly of them.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Bridgestone is very big on their ball fitting program.  You can frequently get a free sleeve of balls just for trying yours against theirs, hitting driver in front of a crowd (which can be fun on its own).  I know this had convinced me to switch to the e6, and later to the B330-RX.  I suspect I'm not alone in trying a free sleeve of balls and deciding I liked this model better than what I had been playing previously.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know I switched to a Bridgestone ball. But Im the type of player that doesn't play what I see on TV commercials or what the golf shop tries to sell me. I play what works for me. Which means my bag tends to change a little more often than some others. But once I find something that works it stays for a long time.

… To be completely honest, right now Im kind of torn between the Bridgestone Tour B330-RX and the new Srixon Z-Star "XV" since its made for a slower swing speed like mine at about 90 mph. Its basically the direct competitor to the Tour B330-RX ball.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

I'm a big fan of the e6, and the B330 RX. I still like Titleist NXT/NXT tour's quite a bit. I would say Bridgestone has a decent share of the golf ball market. I have a set of their irons that I really like (J36 combos).

I wouldnt say that Bridgestone has taken over, but they are definetly nipping at Titleist's heels.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• Administrator

Bridgestone makes a good ball. I don't think they're "taking over" but they're all slowly gaining ground on Titleist.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've played Bridgestones for at least 4 years now - really enjoy the 330- RXS. Have a dozen 330-RX to try.

Most friends who are lifelong golfers play the ProV1 ... most golfers, I think, are a conservative bunch, and unless they show up on these forums, they are likely to stick with Titleist for no other reason than the ball has the name "Titleist." It's a fine ball, but many golfers, especially those with swingspeed under 100, would find the 330-RX or RXS an attractive choice. I try a few ProV1 logo overruns each year to compare. Still, I buy the Bridgestone as I can frequently find them for $35 instead of $43 for the Titleist.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

Since Bridgestone won its settlement with Titleist as to its patent infringement regarding the ProV1 -- made me think that Bridgestone is the true mastermind behind previous ProV1s.

That was in 2005 or so and patent law is a goofy minefield... plus, IIRC, they settled. We may never know who was actually right. Look at how much the Callaway lawsuit - that I believe Titleist is winning - is costing them. If a settlement costs less than winning a lawsuit, settlement makes sense.

http://thesandtrap.com/b/balls/bridgestone_sues_titleist

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you like me like the reduced driverspin of the B330-RX, but would like a softer feel in putting and more spin around the green, you should also try the B330-S even though your ss is too low ....... I am about sure you will like it more than the B330-RX

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

I know I switched to a Bridgestone ball. But Im the type of player that doesn't play what I see on TV commercials or what the golf shop tries to sell me. I play what works for me. Which means my bag tends to change a little more often than some others. But once I find something that works it stays for a long time.

… To be completely honest, right now Im kind of torn between the Bridgestone Tour B330-RX and the new Srixon Z-Star "XV" since its made for a slower swing speed like mine at about 90 mph. Its basically the direct competitor to the Tour B330-RX ball.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by Gerald

If you like me like the reduced driverspin of the B330-RX, but would like a softer feel in putting and more spin around the green, you should also try the B330-S even though your ss is too low ....... I am about sure you will like it more than the B330-RX

I was actually thinking about giving the B330S a try, BUT isnt there a B330 RXS? I have not put enough time into researching it to comment in depth, but if its just like the B330RX but softer it may be a good fit for me too. I still havent burned thru the 2 dozen B330RX balls I bought over a month ago. Crazy huh!?

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

I use the 2009 Pro V1x, but I would prefer a bit more spin and foremost a softer feel and sound while putting ....... balls are a personal thing, but the ball I was looking for should have the Pro V1x reduced sidespin on long shots and the greenside spin and putting sound and feel of the Pro V1.

I was trying the 330-RXS a while ago, mainly because I wanted a "Hop & Stop" ball and it really does spin a lot, but from the driver it had too much sidespin for me ...... I have a natural baby fade, but with the 330-RXS it was more like a fade ....... nothing wrong with the more lofted irons as a fade or baby fade is a great shot to the green. So one of the guys said ..... I might like the 330-RX better.

So I tried the 330-RX ...... I like the lesser side spin, but the "Hop & Stop" is less and the putter sound is a bit clicky, I prefer the softer putter sound of the 330-RXS.

I contacted Bridgestone and told them I like the spin and the putter sound of the 330-RXS, butt needed the reduced driver spin of the 330-RX.

My driver ss is about 100-105 mph ...... so I never looked to the 330 and 330-S, but they advised me to try out the 330-S !!!

As it isn't compressed as much with my driver speed it would have less sidespin in the longer shots, from mid irons to wedges it really bites and it would have the putter sound and feel that suits my game.

So I did try a sleeve of the 330-S and it is right on the spot.

But like you I have a bunch of my current balls (as I bought the 2009 Pro V1x stock of my clubfitter ---- about 6 dozen ----- so I will be playing these for .....) and the new 2011 Pro V1x also looks to have what I was looking for, so by the time I am out of 2009 Pro V1x balls, I'll compare the 2011 Pro V1x balls with the 330-S ......

Most low cappers at our club are using the Pro V1x (same as our teaching pro) and I don't see a lot of other balls ...... allthough most will like the Bridgestone 330 series aswell............ and about 95% of the recreational golfers don't worry too much about balls and play whatever is cheapo !

• Upvote 1

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Among us amateurs I think it's gaining ground, but it's a long way up to the pros where Titleist still rule.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I don't think they are taking over. pro v1 is established in the golf world. bridgestone has great balls, but people like to play the pro v1 cause people think highly of them.

A lot pf guys I know play the Pro V1 even though it may not be the best ball for their games.  They play it mostly because their egos won't let them admit that they don't have the game for it, or they can't help wanting to emulate their favorite pro.  This isn't true of all - plenty of guys I know have the swing speed and the game to play any premium ball they want.  But I feel that some just can't let go of their glory days and admit that there are other balls which are better suited to their games.

These days there are some great balls available in the selection just below the premium level, with better performance for the average player and a much better price.  Every manufacturer has several choices and anyone who doesn't at least try a few may actually be hurting his game by playing a ball which is wrong for him.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'd like to try their tour balls, but around here they're not any cheaper than a ProV1 and they're more than FG Tours. I've played a couple from their lower lines and they're okay. Very similar to the Callaway Top Flites but costing 25% more (at least). I'll pass.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I tried some e5's this weekend but did not play well enough to have an opinion! The one or two good shots I hit felt pretty good, and I did like the feel off the putter. Hoping to get a better test later this week.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I played the e6's today and actually really liked the feel of them off the club. Had terrific success with my wedges today, not a lot of run with this ball(for me at least). I did lose one on the 18th, hit a tree and couldn't find it. All in all 1st time using a Bridgestone ball and will play for a bit with them. Still like the Srixon Ad333.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I think I finally found the perfect ball for me... and that is the Bridgestone b330-rx. It doesn't have much spin off the driver, but it will stick on the grin with my iron shots. It is very soft off the putter, though. I first used the e6, but got frustrated with it running off the table too often. I believe the b330-rx has the best combo of distance and feel for my game. The only negative is that they cost more than prov1's at my retail at 42 bucks.

"drive for show, putt for dough"

Note: This thread is 4755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!