IGNORED

Good three piece ball

Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi im am wondering if anyone has played a good three piece ball i play the callaway hx which i like playing i have also tryed the hot plus but like the hx hot  better. I haven't really explored with many three piece balls so im not sure if there is better three piece balls that i have yet to discover. I have heard good things about the bridgestone e6 which gives you less spin of of your driver which helps your slices or hooks. But i am open to trying new balls just want some suggestions.

Srixon trispeed or trispeed tour… Hands down!

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Srixon trispeed or trispeed tour… Hands down!

are they good around the green do they create alot of spin off drives or wedge shots.can you tell me a little about them

You could look at the Titleist NXT Tour, they aren't too expensive but perform well off the tee and on the greens.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Top Flight Gamer, 20-25 bucks a dozen, awesome ball for the price

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by franky21

are they good around the green do they create alot of spin off drives or wedge shots.can you tell me a little about them

In my honest opinion, I found the Srixon Tri-speed TOUR to be the best ALL AROUND ball on the market. In fact the only reason I don't play it now is because Im trying to work into playing a softer ball. If I didn't want a super soft spinning ball I would definitely still be playing the Tri-speed TOUR. The Tri-speed TOUR is softer than the regular Tri-speed. The Tri-speed TOUR would spin well off my wedges and around the greens. It checks up very nicely. It is soft enough to spin it if you have the skill to spin a ball (most people don't). Checking up on the greens is no problem, but spin off the irons isnt as much as a premium ball (ProV1, Z-Star, Penta TP, Callaway iS/iZ) so dont expect that. But it makes up for it in other ways. It felt real good and solid to me off the driver face and putter face for that matter.

It is a very well made golf ball.

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Top Flight Gamer, 20-25 bucks a dozen, awesome ball for the price

Seriously?? Hahahahahaha

… Sorry, couldn't help it. When I think Top Flight I think of range balls or something I find and throw back into the water or bushes I found it in. If you're going to go to a Top Flight might as well play the Nike MOJO, its $20 for 24 balls…

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

You laugh at me man, it got the best value from Golf Digest. Don't dis a ball until you play it.

I appreciate your open mind on trying to find a golf ball that fits. But i can see by your golf ball choice that you like to play a ball you probably can't tell the difference in than a cheaper ball

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

You laugh at me man, it got the best value from Golf Digest. Don't dis a ball until you play it.

I appreciate your open mind on trying to find a golf ball that fits. But i can see by your golf ball choice that you like to play a ball you probably can't tell the difference in than a cheaper ball

true dat! most amateur golfers can't tell a cheap ball to an expensive ball. the only way I can tell is around the greens. I do notice pro v1 will check a lot more than a noodle.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

See, I don't know why people say that… SERIOUSLY!? You can't feel the difference in certain balls??? If you cant tell the difference between certain golf balls you're either not paying attention orrrrrrrrrr not paying attention. Hahaha They feel different, sound different, bounce different, FEEL different. If there was no difference in golf balls it wouldn't be such a huge portion of the market. Its like saying all drivers are the same if they have a titanium face… Now I know you dont think that… Do you?

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Nah, i don't believe that, but does your game really improve between the two golf balls. Can a 17 handicap or a 10 handicap really appreciate the difference, thats the question. That also goes into the type of irons someone places. If they play player irons or game improvement, that may be a big difference as well.

Thats why i say, why spend 45 bucks a dozen, when you can just play as good with 20 bucks. To scoff at Top Flight, just because there known for being driving range balls, or just there XL brand. There top Flight Gamers really have some serious technology, its a 3 piece, and it is a very good ball. If your going with a NXT, or a 25-30 dollar ball, that top flight will be very very close or maybe surpass those balls depending on the player.

For me, i buy last years model's of the premium golf ball, so i get 45 dollar golf balls for 25 bucks. Thats how i roll. But i play a low spin ball, so i look for at least 3 piece for short game feel.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Nah, i don't believe that, but does your game really improve between the two golf balls. Can a 17 handicap or a 10 handicap really appreciate the difference, thats the question. That also goes into the type of irons someone places. If they play player irons or game improvement, that may be a big difference as well.

Thats why i say, why spend 45 bucks a dozen, when you can just play as good with 20 bucks. To scoff at Top Flight, just because there known for being driving range balls, or just there XL brand. There top Flight Gamers really have some serious technology, its a 3 piece, and it is a very good ball. If your going with a NXT, or a 25-30 dollar ball, that top flight will be very very close or maybe surpass those balls depending on the player.

For me, i buy last years model's of the premium golf ball, so i get 45 dollar golf balls for 25 bucks. Thats how i roll. But i play a low spin ball, so i look for at least 3 piece for short game feel.

I believe so. However, I would not ever say that a golf ball has made me a better or worse golfer, because thats like blaming a club for going out of bounds. The golf ball is merely an item within your game that aids you in your current ability. There is a definite difference in golf balls between a premium "soft" ball and a mediocre ball. The ball I am currently playing is not a "premium" ball in the sense that its the best ball on the market or one of the top 5. Its just the ball that does the most for me that I find important. What I need is slowly changing, and so my ball may change as well. The reason Im not currently playing a premium or super soft ball is because at this time I cant seem to keep my driver spin down enough to handle a super spiny ball like a ProV1 or a Callaway iS/iZ. Trust me if I could I would!

If you take a bunch of the best golf balls on the market and chip each one 10 times you MIGHT be able to tell the difference between them. Likewise if you test a bunch of the middle range 3 piece balls against those premium balls you should DEFINITELY be able to feel the difference. Then try chipping a clunker ball like a cheap Nike or Pinnacle or something comparable. If there's no difference that you can feel and see between a good 3 piece ball and the premium balls then there is something seriously wrong.

I guess you could be right if you are saying that there is no difference between all the golf balls that are produced similarly. Maybe. But Im still going to say that I would take a Srixon Tri-speed TOUR over any other 3 piece balls. Im basing that off of my personal experience with different balls, and the fact that most would not do what I personally wanted it to do and the Srixon would. This includes the Nike Vapor, the Titleist NXT Tour, and the Bridgestone e6.

People put different necessities for their golf ball in different priority order. Some have to have a soft ball because they want green side control. Others want distance. And some like myself want low spin and control. Others want a little of everything (which is where a 3 piece comes into play). Now like I said, once I figure out my swing a bit better and get my spin numbers down I will definitely be going to a softer ball, but for right now Im still playing the Bridgestone TOUR B330RX and trying some others. I just bought a dozen of the Taylormade Penta TP balls to try out, because last years ProV1's were on sale for $39 and these were on sale for $37. Im still a frugal golfer at heart, I just cut corners differently than others.

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

By the way, Im not a fan of Nike golf balls, but there is a good read in this thread section about Nike golf balls, and it explains quite a bit of technology being used these days. Might shed some light on some things...

Anyways,

I think that golf ball fitting is vastly approaching the necessity that shaft fitting has on our games. Lots of people doubted that for a while too. And some still don't get fitted for the proper driver shaft. Its not just about flex or stiffness.

See my thing is that I want to optimize every aspect of my game with the right equipment so that I have absolutely no excuses when I mess up. Hahaha

In my Ogio bag.

And a yellow ball.

Except that you'd be playing a markedly inferior ball.  This statement goes a long way toward discrediting your opinion on ball selection.

To the OP-premium balls spin more, but not as much a marketing/price would have you believe.  If you can't spin a cheap ball you won't be much better at spinning a 3 piece or urethane covered ball.  But you're a 20 handicap, so I assume you have the ability to spin the ball reasonably well.  The Top Flite Gamer is a really solid all around 3 piece ball, especially at $20/box.  I actually get plenty of spin with 2 piece D2 Feels and Wilson Staff Fifty Elites, but I understand the desire/need under certain conditions/courses to play a higher spinning ball.  The Bridgestone e5 is a 2 piece but it has a urethane cover, spins/checks up a lot.  Can't recommend the NXT Tour at $30/box, there are other 3 piece balls that perform as well or better and are cheaper (Gamer, e6, HX Hot Bite), or you can get top of the line urethane covered balls for $30/box (Nike One Tour/D, TM TP Black).

Seriously?? Hahahahahaha

… Sorry, couldn't help it. When I think Top Flight I think of range balls or something I find and throw back into the water or bushes I found it in. If you're going to go to a Top Flight might as well play the Nike MOJO, its $20 for 24 balls…

Not withstanding the opinion of someone who has not played it, the Gamer v2 is an excellent 3 piece ball for the price.  I also like the e6 and TM Burner TP as far as 3 piece balls go.  There are plenty of excellent 2 and 3 piece balls on the market depending on what characteristics you are looking for.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

See, I don't know why people say that… SERIOUSLY!? You can't feel the difference in certain balls??? If you cant tell the difference between certain golf balls you're either not paying attention orrrrrrrrrr not paying attention. Hahaha They feel different, sound different, bounce different, FEEL different. If there was no difference in golf balls it wouldn't be such a huge portion of the market. Its like saying all drivers are the same if they have a titanium face… Now I know you dont think that… Do you?

happy to entertain you. when I first started playing golf, I couldn't tell the difference between a range ball and pro v1. now of course I can. I just think that a novice player wouldn't be able to tell a difference in golf balls. people I have played with have told me they can't tell the difference in a golf ball. so, they play with whatever golf ball. even if they find it on the course. or a range ball for that matter. I would love to see a test where they pick out a 100 random amateur golfers and line up 3 golf balls. a pro v1, cheap golf ball, and a range ball with no logo's. tell them to hit it and have them determine which are which. I might say 50% would get it right, and half of them who get it right are probably guessing.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Well this year i am giving Sxrizon a try, last years model of course. I don't understand paying 45 bucks for the ball to be more white, nice try Sxrizon. I played Nike Tour'D last year, i found it to be a shorter ball off the tee than other balls. So far this year, Sxrizon holds up really well. I played it in as windy of a day as i would see, last saturday. I was able to drive it into the wind with ease, i was impressed. I play the Z-StarX. I don't know why, i never liked ProV's.. The only time i play the is when i find brande new ones in the trees when i go ball hawking.

But, three piece balls are a nice middle ground now to get good spin on the wedges. The premium ball will have a softer cover, and spin a bit more on wedges. I can't remember the spin differential between the different cover types. What i like about the Gamer, is that its a low spin driver ball, and a pretty decent spin on wedges, and has a good feel off the putter.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

I'd recommend the Gamer v2 and, even though it's not a 3-piece ball, Bridgestone e5. I've notice all the Bridgestone e-models in new packaging this year with last year's packaged balls selling at a discount rate, so you can pick up some e-series for $22/box from just a local Dicks Sporting Goods. [quote name="SVTGolfer" url="/forum/thread/44743/good-three-piece-ball#post_583643"]

Seriously?? Hahahahahaha

[/quote] When Callaway bought Top-Flite they made a sincere effort to redesign the balls. The idea that Top-Flites are "Rock Flites" is outdated by a couple years. The D2 Feel was, IIRC, the first nice, soft ball they offered. The original Gamer was even better and replaced by the Gamer v2 which is just as good. It really is a good ball, comparable to more expensive mainstream balls like the NXT Tour.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Note: This thread is 3194 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!