IGNORED

Ace at a par 3 course.

xxsoultonesxx
Note: This thread is 4741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played 9 holes at a local par 3 course in Tacoma today, and I was wondering if it would not be quite as gratifying to hit an ace at a par 3 course instead of a regulation golf course. I mean these holes are all at least 100 yards (I suppose a couple could play just inside 100) but your odds of hitting an ace are much higher (9 holes, 8 of which are par 3, with one short par 4).

The opportunity to hit an ace might be higher... but it isn't any easier. You still have to swing the club. Think off all of the old-timers out there that have played tons of rounds of golf without a single ace and then tell them that it is easier to do at the local par 3.. yanno?

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

who cares if it is only a 100 yards. It's like hitting your approach shot from a 100 yards out. doesn't that feel awesome? heck yeah it does.It's still a hole in one. it counts. and you can always say, yes I had a hole in one. Trust me, If I get one on a par 3 course, I would be proud of it.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Heck, I'm whoopin' it up if I make an "ace" at miniature golf.  So, if I ever make a hole in one using a regular golf club and a regular golf ball on a "regular" golf hole, I'd probably take off my clothes and run around nekkid.  For the record, I have some buds that are single-digit handicaps and we played a championship golf course where there was a par 3 that was just a tick over 100 yards.  We all made bogey or worse.

Also, I remember Tiger making a hole in one during the par 3 tourney at the Masters one year.  The crowd was going nuts and he looked pretty darn happy to me.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

An ace is an ace. Sure, there are more chances to get an ace on a par-3 course than a regulation course in any single round - but you get a similar increase in opportunity if you play a regulation course 4x as often as someone else playing the same regulation course. If you got an ace in such a way, should it be less gratifying simply because you're playing more often? I'm thinking no.

Bill

If I had the choice, sure, I'd rather ace a 190 yard par 3 on a regulation course than an 85 yard chip shot on a pitch and putt.

But I'm not going to be choosy, and you damn well better believe I'm "counting it" either way.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

I guess I'll be the only one to say it would not be as gratifying. Sure if the holes are 140+ then that's another thing, but an 85yd half-swing sand wedge? I don't think so. I've holed approach shots from longer than that, so getting a technical "hole-in-one" would honestly not mean anything. There is a course around here that is a 9-hole par 3 course with no hole greater than 100yds. There's no way it would be as gratifying for me as on a "real" par 3 course or a regulation course.

I love playing my local Par 3.

It's 18 unique holes, the longest is 205 the shortest in 102.  Most holes fall in 130-160.

Originally Posted by nuck81

I love playing my local Par 3.

It's 18 unique holes, the longest is 205 the shortest in 102.  Most holes fall in 130-160.

I'd love a course like that.  The one I occasionally play is 18 holes, but most are 90-110 yards, longest is (I think) 140.  That would still be ok, but you have to tee off from mats, which ruins it.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

My only hole-in-one happened at an executive course on a 60-yard hole.

When you get to put a 1 down on your scorecard, that's pretty gratifying.

And it counts.

It might "count". As in "Have you ever had a hole-in-one?" Answer: Yes. But, at least among all the people I play with, telling that story would just get a response along the lines of "Oh so technically a hole-in-one, but not really".

To me that's like winning a fight with a handicapped person, or like a professional triathlete doing a small town sprint race and winning.

While It's certainly a good shot, don't get me wrong, but If it were me, I wouldn't consider it a true hole-in-one for the purposes that people generally mean when they ask.

Originally Posted by CyclistOK

It might "count". As in "Have you ever had a hole-in-one?" Answer: Yes. But, at least among all the people I play with, telling that story would just get a response along the lines of "Oh so technically a hole-in-one, but not really".

To me that's like winning a fight with a handicapped person, or like a professional triathlete doing a small town sprint race and winning.

While It's certainly a good shot, don't get me wrong, but If it were me, I wouldn't consider it a true hole-in-one for the purposes that people generally mean when they ask.

but it is a hole in one. it doesn't matter that it is a little par-3 course. it still counts. you still have to buy your playing partners a round. haha

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by zeg

If I had the choice, sure, I'd rather ace a 190 yard par 3 on a regulation course than an 85 yard chip shot on a pitch and putt.

But I'm not going to be choosy, and you damn well better believe I'm "counting it" either way.

For me, my "Dream ace" would be from an elevated tee between 150 and 165 yards with an 8 or 7 iron. Nice draw that releases a few feet into the hole. Long so that it feels like long shot, short enough that i can see it. Luckily this is a pretty common par 3 length and I have two that fit this description at my home course.

• Upvote 1
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Originally Posted by 2bGood

For me, my "Dream ace" would be from an elevated tee between 150 and 165 yards with an 8 or 7 iron. Nice draw that releases a few feet into the hole. Long so that it feels like long shot, short enough that i can see it. Luckily this is a pretty common par 3 length and I have two that fit this description at my home course.

if we are talking dream aces, I would say par 4 of any length. now that would be cool.

I guess I have another question, then. Where do you draw the line between a "pitch and putt" and a real par-3 course? I don't think I've ever played a hole shorter than 90 yards, and the course that I mentioned when I started this thread has one hole under 100 yards (plays around 90) and one 255 yard par-4, with a couple at 130 and one @195, with water, trees, bunkers, yada yada. http://www.highlandsgolf.net/index.asp (No course map, but you will get the jist)

They are also hosting the first annual Washington State par-3 competition.

My dream ace is the 8th hole at Classic golf club, which is 5 minutes from my house. I've come very(!) close twice now, and it is just a beautiful hole. It plays about 110-120 depending on the tees/pins, has a nice elevated tee over a nice floral pond.

Note: This thread is 4741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!