IGNORED

Golfing When Your Muscles Are Tired / Fatigued

Sai-Jin
Note: This thread is 1476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can play 2 days in a row - whenever I play 3 days straight I play crappy the third day - just feel extremely tight & sore in the shoulders - only time I get the shanks - happens every time

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

For me when I get physically tired I don't follow through on my swing. However, if I am mentally tired my whole game suffers from bad decision making to giving up on shots to just having a bad attitude from playing bad.  If I am physically tired I can usually push through.  If I am mentally tired I just give up.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

When i get tired, its usually my legs that get tired. Just from walking and I drive my legs pretty good in the swing. So what happens is, my legs don't react well and i start to flip at the ball, and I hit pull cuts or big slices.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

You may have other issues that's making you fatigue after 2 - 3 days of golf.

Playing and practicing (sometimes both) every day is not an issue for me and I walk most rounds.  It's only an issue when I play while I am sick.   When I played through a 6 week long pneumonia I was suffering, my average score went up by 3 - 4 points.   I probably shouldn't have played then.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, Mike Boatright said:

I'm in pretty good physical shape and get tired from hitting to many golf balls then playing. So yes your arms get tired they need rest.

I've never had my arms get tired from playing too much golf, mostly my legs and back.

Joe Paradiso

3 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I've never had my arms get tired from playing too much golf, mostly my legs and back.

For me it's my shoulder joints and arms from hitting 200 golf balls then the next day play 18 and so forth. My back does get a little tight.

Feet and back. Usually around the 13th hole. I can gut it out for two more but after that it's getting tough to walk it.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I seldom get physically tired from too much golf. I have played 4 consectutive rounds in a week more than most folks. 5 rounds in a week, or a long 4th round, I am sore for a couple of days afterwards for sure.

I have golfed in a few marthon charities to see how many holes in a 24 hour stetch we could get in. 

What happens to me is I get complacent (mentally fatigued? Boredom?) and start goofing off which messes with my scores. I'll start dropping balls in strange situations just to see if I can get to the next tee box with decent score. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I've been playing with sore muscles for the past year or so. Sometimes I play well sometimes not so well.

There are days where I hit hundreds of balls, not on purpose. People leave buckets at my range but they are unlimited for me anyway, and I'll just keep hitting while waiting for my kids. Then I would just play while sore for the next few days. The most I've hit recently on any day is 6 or 7 large buckets, the wide mouth kind. It's like eating potato chips***.

***This is highly counter productive to improvement, but just have the right conditions (unlimited range balls) to do it I guess. My kids do not practice even 1/4 what I do and are both better golfers. Practicing properly is one of my goals this year, which includes self control. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm 69 years old and not in top condition, but 2 years ago my brother and I played 8 rounds in 7 days, with one day off in the middle because it rained all day (8 rounds in 6 playing days).  We played 36 holes 2 of those days and 18 holes each of the other 4 days.  Two of those playing days also included a 2½ drive before we started playing.  I grant you that we weren't walking, but still....

You young guys shouldn't be having any problem with 3 or 4 days in a row.  My buddy and I used to walk and carry 72 holes on the weekend when I was in my early 40's before I met my wife.  I was also a backpacker and hiker back then too, hiking as much as 16 mountain miles in a day.  

I admit that hot, humid, weather can really take it out of me, and maybe I'd be less inclined to do marathon golf under those conditions, but I can still play multiple rounds in a day and multiple days in a row without being excessively tired.  I play all the time in 95°-100° temps here in the summer, but it's dry so it's not quite as debilitating.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm 63 and not about to pretend that I'm 23! Back in that day, I walked and carried my sticks! Time has taken it's toll. For those who it hasn't, hurray for you. I've had multiple knee, ankle and leg injuries, so I just can't walk the course anymore.

What I've found is that, when I lose my legs, I lose my swing! Also, after a day of golf, or a long session on the range, my left shoulder hurts like crazy! I played every sport imaginable in my youth, and have the bumps and bruises to prove it.

One thing that I've found advantageous after a round of golf is this. Do not come off the course on a hot day and sit in an air conditioned environment after your round! That will tighten and stiffen me up more than anything! I'd much rather sit outside, provided it's in the shade, and "cool down" more naturally! It's a matter of course to sit and have a beer or two, go over the card, and settle bets after the round, but why do so in a refrigerator!

30 rounds in 19 days, no day off. But that was easy because we took carts (Florida). At home I walk and carry. Last weekend 63 holes in two days, wanted to play again next day but did'nt. Today all fired up to play 18 and tomorrow and the day after.

Edited by MacDutch

14 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I'm 69 years old and not in top condition, but 2 years ago my brother and I played 8 rounds in 7 days, with one day off in the middle because it rained all day (8 rounds in 6 playing days).  We played 36 holes 2 of those days and 18 holes each of the other 4 days.  Two of those playing days also included a 2½ drive before we started playing.  I grant you that we weren't walking, but still....

You young guys shouldn't be having any problem with 3 or 4 days in a row.  My buddy and I used to walk and carry 72 holes on the weekend when I was in my early 40's before I met my wife.  I was also a backpacker and hiker back then too, hiking as much as 16 mountain miles in a day.  

I admit that hot, humid, weather can really take it out of me, and maybe I'd be less inclined to do marathon golf under those conditions, but I can still play multiple rounds in a day and multiple days in a row without being excessively tired.  I play all the time in 95°-100° temps here in the summer, but it's dry so it's not quite as debilitating.

Rick,

I'm disappointed that you didn't strap on the galoshes and tough it out! :-P

I agree with Rick. Apart from injury, soreness can be loosened up at the start of a round. I wake up stiff everyday, but warming up eliminates the rust. Most of my workouts are geared so I will not fatigue in a round too. Then proper hydration and nutrition should help out the rest.

I like being a bit tired at the end of walking 18 because my body is telling me I did something. I just take an extra practice swing on 18 or move around to stay loose while others are getting ready to hit. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

There's tired in the sense of having difficulty completing the round and then there's tired in the sense of having things effect your swing that otherwise wouldn't. As lousy as my physical conditioning is, I'm still young enough to bang the ball around anytime, but my form can suffer if I'm on the back nine at the end of a long day. Steady head, tempo and stuff like that just has to be a bit off and ugliness ensues. ... Of course, fundamental problems with my swing probably play a heavy role in that.

• 3 years later...

The humility on this forum lol. I’m 31 and in decent condition. When I get tired I start coming too out to in causing....the shanks. 

I obsess over the flaw only causing me to hit more balls and hit worse shanks. I can find a correction (swing thought) that usually helps me get around. 

My point being, your golf swing is fluid. You will always need to make adjustments depending on the day. You know your body, listen to it. 

I’d be interested to know the swing speed of these guys on here playing 7 days a week. If your just out there swinging easy, it is probably not an issue. If you are taking hacks and trying to get solid power out of every shot, you should be tired after a few days in a row. 

Don’t be scared to play though, just learn to adjust your game accordingly. 

Edited by BillyShakes

5 hours ago, BillyShakes said:

The humility on this forum lol. I’m 31 and in decent condition. When I get tired I start coming too out to in causing....the shanks. 

I obsess over the flaw only causing me to hit more balls and hit worse shanks. I can find a correction (swing thought) that usually helps me get around. 

My point being, your golf swing is fluid. You will always need to make adjustments depending on the day. You know your body, listen to it. 

I’d be interested to know the swing speed of these guys on here playing 7 days a week. If your just out there swinging easy, it is probably not an issue. If you are taking hacks and trying to get solid power out of every shot, you should be tired after a few days in a row. 

Don’t be scared to play though, just learn to adjust your game accordingly. 

Welcome to The Sand Trap. FYI, the last post in this thread was four years ago. Good advice though.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 1476 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!