• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gerald

Liked AP1 better than AP2 !!!!

26 posts in this topic

Not that I am going to buy yet another new set, but I compared Titleist AP1 and AP2 at a demo day, and although the sales guys told me the AP2 is made for my hc range, I hit the AP1 better.

Also the forged feel of the AP2 isn't as soft as like Mizuno's ...... so there isn't a lot of difference between the AP1 and AP2 .......... only when you want to feel a difference knowing that you have the AP2 in your hands ...... but else .....

Are there more low cappers using the AP1 instead of the advised AP2 ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I find that there is a pretty big difference between the two in terms of trajectory, forgiveness and feel.

The AP2s are slightly softer and easier to work for me, but it seems like you feel the AP1s are more of your type.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AP1s are a great club, probably my favorite GI cast club (favorite GI club is the MX-200).  If there had been no MX-200s when I was shopping for GI irons last year I probably would have gone with the AP1s.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben Curtis uses AP1 irons.

If a British Open Champion can use them why shouldn't anyone else?  :-)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Gerald

Not that I am going to buy yet another new set, but I compared Titleist AP1 and AP2 at a demo day, and although the sales guys told me the AP2 is made for my hc range, I hit the AP1 better.

Also the forged feel of the AP2 isn't as soft as like Mizuno's ...... so there isn't a lot of difference between the AP1 and AP2 .......... only when you want to feel a difference knowing that you have the AP2 in your hands ...... but else .....

Are there more low cappers using the AP1 instead of the advised AP2 ?



Usually when a guy in the proshop suggest something it leads to me walking away. The only suggestions in the past few years that were even remotely useful were from women. They tend to be better listeners and can tell the difference between a poser and a player (I'm somewhere in the middle).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Usually when a guy in the proshop suggest something it leads to me walking away. The only suggestions in the past few years that were even remotely useful were from women. They tend to be better listeners and can tell the difference between a poser and a player (I'm somewhere in the middle).


That is a bit what I thought when hitting both ...... Titleist is kinda marketing the AP2 for the better avid player 0-12 and the AP1 for 6-24, but as I saw it the AP1 is more like for the same 0 to maybe 18 orso.

The difference in feel is more between the ears than actually the case, anyway with none of the so called butter irons I about never had the butter feel, so for me it is about meaningless to go for forged.

AP1 means larger forgiveness, maybe a little more height on shots (which is actually 98% a PLUS) ........ don't know how many amateurs will tell you they can apply more backspin on a penetrating low shot, most of them CANNOT !!!!

I practice a lot form mats, so a none forged iron, might keep their specs longer .......

For the time being ...... I am quite fond with my Cobra S2, but I might buy the AP1 as soon as the 912 AP1 is coming along ,,,,,,

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually prefer the ap2. I like the playability of the ap2. the ap1 is forgiving, but I can't work the ball as much as I would like. The only reason I have the tm r9 tp irons is because it was almost $300 cheaper than the ap2. If I had the money, I probably would of gone with the ap2's.

and the workers suggesting one club over another are just trying to sell you to a certain club. he doesn't know your game, so how could he possibly know what club is good for you. you just have to try different clubs and figure it out yourself.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I actually prefer the ap2. I like the playability of the ap2. the ap1 is forgiving, but I can't work the ball as much as I would like.


Yet they are good enough for a British Open winner.......

Hmmmmm.

All this talk about "workability" makes me think that peope read a little too much sales literature.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

Yet they are good enough for a British Open winner.......

Hmmmmm.

All this talk about "workability" makes me think that peope read a little too much sales literature.

I am just speaking for myself. I'm not speaking for someone who won the british open. I am giving my own opinion on how I feel about these two golf clubs.

and why is it so bad for someone to read info about a certain club and not take it to be the right info? I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking for an iron set for around that price I would seriously suggest looking at Mizuno. I believe someone made a comment about cast holding up better than forged, and that is absolutely false.

If you are that serious about buying new clubs I would go with forged for two reasons. First, you should be getting the clubs fitted for you or else the only gain you are truly getting is a mental boost. Second, if you decide to get fitted, you will have forged clubs which can be bent several times to the loft/lie you want them to be. With cast you simply cannot do that.

I would take a look at Mizuno's new irons:

Game improvement set:

JPX 800 it has a decently thin topline for a game improvement club and the ball just jumps off of the face.

"Players" irons:

MP 52/53, almost the same clubs the 52s and the 53s they provide a ton of forgiveness with some workability

MP58, almost the exact same club as the AP1, but with a little more workability due to the size of the club face (slightly shorter)

I was dead set on buying the AP1s until I hit the Mizunos, and I'm glad I chose Mizuno they make a great set of clubs

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I am just speaking for myself. I'm not speaking for someone who won the british open. I am giving my own opinion on how I feel about these two golf clubs.

and why is it so bad for someone to read info about a certain club and not take it to be the right info? I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.



I think the point was more in the fact of people using the word "workability" considering that most golfers can't actually work the ball. So most golfers take the term "workability" from literature and claim that's why they like one set over the other. Whether you can work the ball or not I don't know but the majority of people playing golf can't work the ball no matter what clubs they are playing.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by golf4fun12

and why is it so bad for someone to read info about a certain club and not take it to be the right info? I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.

Because when this reading is not done selectively, it perpetuates myth and untruths which are the cancer of golfing forums.

For example:

1) OEM shafts are "crap"

2) Forged irons have superior "feel" to cast irons

3) It is not possible to "work" the ball with GI irons

4) Most pros use "players"' irons

These are just statements that are parroted and repeated and despite evidence to the contrary, people refuse to believe otherwise, thinking that it implies authority and knowledge.

They'll walk into a golf shop and strike up a conversation with an attendant, saying thay love the "workability" of the AP2, but appreciate tye "forgiveness" of the AP1, having never hit either.

Here we have a thread where the OP says that he is surprised that he prefers a club designed for his particular skill level, but we find out that players at the highest level of the game also like that club.

What more information do we need?  If you like it, great.

It's like threads where people claim that Pro V1s fly further than other balls - again, nonsense - or that such and such a driver is more "accurate" than others.  Then we have people demanding to know what shaft Tiger is playing, as if it's going to suit them.

I enjoy reading the reviews of clubs that others have written, and have made some decisions based upon those reviews.

I draw the line where people repeat others' findings and mix them up with marketing BS and use this to advise others, when in many cases you can be pretty sure that the person has never seen one of these clubs, let alone done testing extensive enough to form an opinion.  New golfers become confused, and when they are 3 weeks into the game, they have their heads filled with BS about forged irons "feeling softer" etc. and then they actually claim it to be true lest they be exposed as emperors without clothes.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I wouldn't say that, but maybe it depends on the vintage.

post-93643-12674854955416_thumb.jpg mizuno_mp58_back_angle.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD616

MP58, almost the exact same club as the AP1, but with a little more workability due to the size of the club face (slightly shorter)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give this man some thread points!!!

Originally Posted by Shorty

Because when this reading is not done selectively, it perpetuates myth and untruths which are the cancer of golfing forums.

For example:

1) OEM shafts are "crap"

2) Forged irons have superior "feel" to cast irons

3) It is not possible to "work" the ball with GI irons

4) Most pros use "players"' irons

These are just statements that are parroted and repeated and despite evidence to the contrary, people refuse to believe otherwise, thinking that it implies authority and knowledge.

They'll walk into a golf shop and strike up a conversation with an attendant, saying thay love the "workability" of the AP2, but appreciate tye "forgiveness" of the AP1, having never hit either.

Here we have a thread where the OP says that he is surprised that he prefers a club designed for his particular skill level, but we find out that players at the highest level of the game also like that club.

What more information do we need?  If you like it, great.

It's like threads where people claim that Pro V1s fly further than other balls - again, nonsense - or that such and such a driver is more "accurate" than others.  Then we have people demanding to know what shaft Tiger is playing, as if it's going to suit them.

I enjoy reading the reviews of clubs that others have written, and have made some decisions based upon those reviews.

I draw the line where people repeat others' findings and mix them up with marketing BS and use this to advise others, when in many cases you can be pretty sure that the person has never seen one of these clubs, let alone done testing extensive enough to form an opinion.  New golfers become confused, and when they are 3 weeks into the game, they have their heads filled with BS about forged irons "feeling softer" etc. and then they actually claim it to be true lest they be exposed as emperors without clothes.



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Shorty

They'll walk into a golf shop and strike up a conversation with an attendant, saying thay love the "workability" of the AP2, but appreciate tye "forgiveness" of the AP1, having never hit either.

HAHAHA!!

My favourite irons have low forgiveness, because I favour form forging over function.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well, everyone has their opinions. no point in arguing about it.


when I first started to get serious about golf, I did all the reading I could on different golf clubs and why I need this bounce or why a hybrid would be a better choice over a 3-iron and so on. now.....doing all that reading and actually trying different club combos on the course will be different depending on the person. I find it easier with a hybrid instead of a 3-iron. I also find it easier to "work" the ball with the tm r9 tp irons rather than my old r7 irons.

about the pro v1's. few months back, I played a few rounds with the callaway tour is/ix and found that I do hit the pro v1 a little further. sometimes a club length difference on my approach shot. I just don't read about golf stuff, I go out and find out for myself. but reading about these little questions many golfers have is always a great place to start.

for the people who go into a shop and talk about how they love a certain club because of this and that having not tried it out, I don't have anything to say but who cares. It's not me. I am not about to start talking about something I don't know about. I know I can work the ball better with the ap2 over the ap1 because I have played rounds with them.

your last paragraph you wrote......how can you possibly know where to draw the line between someones "real" review on a club he has tried or someones rant about a club he has never hit before in his life? it's the internet. hell, I could be bullshitting you right now and you would never know. I just don't see how you can judge a review on being real or just someone repeating what someone has already said. the internet is all about plagiarizing. that's why all professors I have ever had to write a paper for has always put, no internet sources. because the internet is to unreliable.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well ......

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I'm sure golf company's aren't going to lie about their product to people. some people need the help on deciding what club to pick. and if reading up on some reviews helps, go for it.


....... actually all they do is lying about their products !

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Quote:
O I just don't see how you can judge a review on being real or just someone repeating what someone has already said. the internet is all about plagiarizing.


You look at the quality of what has been written and how detailed it is, how things are quantified, and what methodology has been used.  You read between the lines.

On the other hand, if I read  comments by someone about, for example a forged iron's "feel", notice that their handicap is listed here as "12" and notice other posts about how they take "breakfast balls" and drop a ball near where it went out of bounds to "save time", you know that their comments are not worth reading, because they are deluding themselves about how they actually play this game.

I bought a Leupold rangefinder based on the reviews on this site (despite suspecting some level of sponsorship) without having ever seen one. Also, not being a shooter, I know nothing about their other optical products.  I respected and trust the person who wrote te review, and am really pleased with it.

On the other hand, as noted before, if I read someone who says that OEM shafts are "crap", I know that they are full of BS - despite the knowledge that a premium shaft can be of great benefit to a lot of golfers. When you get the blanket parroting, you know what's what.

The OP is symptomatic of the problem. FOUR exclamation marks after the statement "I like Ap1s better than AP2s"

That says it all.  What should be  a simple statement of fact becomes a confession which he can barely believe himself. And he's obviously  a legitimate golfer.

He prefers AP1 Curtis prefers AP1 Others prefer AP2 . My friend hated MP58 but loves MP63.  I like MP57 but not as much as MP60. I don't have to align my opinions against marketing crap like "grain flow" forging and "the sound of feel" nonsense.  Nor does anyone else. We only need to respect our own judgements and not require ourselves to buy what we are pushed to buy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Golf Evolution
  • Posts

    • 2016 TST Initiative: Forward Tees Tournament
      In Lowest Score Wins, we recommend that golfers play from the forward tees in order to experience "breaking 80" for the first time, or shooting 65, or having more birdie putts than they've ever had, or whatever. This year, in 2016, we're taking it one step farther: we're encouraging everyone here to work with the head pro at your home course (or, if you play multiple courses, the head pro at each of them!) and to set up a serious "Forward Tees Tournament." A Forward Tees Tournament (FTT) will be: FUN! Enlightening Unique Challenging I'll give anyone who creates and/or participates in a FTT this year the special achievement/award seen to the left. Anyone with this award will be entered to win a TST prize to be determined at the end of the year (and I'll do my best to make it a fairly good prize, but that shouldn't be the main reason why anyone should do this). You can play: With or without handicaps. With or without brackets/divisions/flights. Stroke play or match play. 18, 27, 36, 54+ holes. One day, two days, three days. Etc. I think golfers will love playing in this type of tournament. I think it will challenge them to think about how they play and score. I think it will result in faster play, more fun, more birdies, more chances to hit 7-iron into par fives and feel like a Tour player for once, and… lower scores (or higher scores for the dumb players!). So there you have it. What can you do from here? Pledge here in this thread to talk to your head pro. Recruit your buddies and local golfers to play in your event. Work with your head pro to make the event a success. Play in the event! Post here after your tournament has been played to claim your super-exclusive award/achievement! I'm in. I'll be doing this, hopefully at multiple courses this year. Are you?
    • Posting old scores
      I haven't had an official handicap for about 15 years because in the past several I've only been able to play 6-8 times per year. This year I joined a club so that I could play in tournaments and since I need five scores to get a handicap, I entered some scores in GHIN from my last few rounds in 2015 (since I play so rarely, I can remember them). When I was doing this, I forgot to change the date when posting a score from August so it defaulted to today and is now my most recent reported score. GHIN won't let me change the entry but says to "contact my club" to fix it, which seems like a hassle for everyone involved. It's not my lowest score but it's close, so it will probably be included in my handicap calculation for quite a while unless the date is changed. How big of a deal is this?
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Another thing is sometimes to 'give up' on par. For example, as a bogey golfer, if I hit a bad tee shot and end up say 220yds from the hold on a par 4 rather than the usual 130yds, play the hole as if bogey is the new par. You've made the hole more difficult for yourself and rather than trying to hit the green with a 3 wood (a green designed to be hit with a mid/short iron), take 2 shots to get on the green and 2 shots to get down. 1 220yd par 4 is an easy hole (could even make birdie (which becomes par and a great save) whereas a 220 yd par 3, not off the tee, is asking for trouble. Not always the best way to play golf (read Lowest Score Wins) but the best way to avoid blowing up.
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      Find it yourself please. I don't think that would provide much insight. Courses, technology… all very different. Too many differences. People who qualify for the Opens rarely actually compete for them. The winners and top finishers almost always come from those who qualify automatically. I'm not. Very few foreign golfers played on the PGA Tour in the 60s. It's been steadily growing - and travel has made it easier, too - through to now. And even now we're starting to see Asian golfers really take over. The only Asian golfer many could name who competed against Nicklaus was Isao Aoki. Maybe Jumbo Ozaki. I'm just talking about the number of golfers. There are a ton more now. I don't care. I realize perhaps your condition forces you to take everything literally, but I wasn't being literal here. The PGA Tour takes the best 150 players or so out of X. As X grows, the amount of separation between those top 150 players narrows. We're in a very narrow phase right now. When Jack was playing, the gap was significantly wider. No. Tiger was quite a bit more dominant and "above" even MORE highly competitive fields. Both halves of that are true: Tiger won by larger margins and against stronger fields. I agree. And I've said similar things. No…? You don't say? (On page 273 of a thread doing just that…)? You seem to be the only person who regards WGCs as weaker fields that offer a "competitive break." It says a lot about how others should consider your opinions on strength of field. You're assuming or haven't read many of my posts in this thread, because I've said several times that I'd put it within a few points of 50/50. Maybe 55/45. Hardly what I'd call "strong." Of course we're both "estimating." Tiger's record, IMO, against significantly stiffer competition, puts him ahead. Not by a lot. Not really. If only 30 players had a realistic chance to win a tournament, adding players beyond that 30th player does little to affect the strength of the field. The WGCs could add 200 club professionals that would never win and… the strength of field would remain exactly the same. Where have I said this? Because even if I did, it doesn't support whatever you're trying to force it into supporting here. The odds of a club pro beating anyone on the PGA Tour these days are slim to none. They were slightly more likely back when fewer "A" players played the PGA Tour… like in the 60s and 70s. A "C" player's game almost never varies enough - not for four days - to beat even 10 or 15 "A" players. Here's an opinion, but one I could probably back up if I cared enough to take the time (I do not): a modern WGC has a stronger field than many (perhaps all) of the majors Nicklaus won. I've said this before, and will say it again here: In Jack's day, there were maybe 10-15 "A" players, 25 "B" players, and the rest were "C" players. Today there are 100+ A players and the rest B players. I'm also going to request, mostly because of the number of times I've had to repeat myself in this thread, that you not quote or respond to me, @natureboy, in this thread. I'm not keen on repeating myself about something that, ultimately, I don't care that much about. It is what it is, their records are what they are, and they could only beat the guys they played against.
    • How to eliminate blowup holes
      Never try to hit through trees, always just get back to the fairway.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today
  • Blog Entries