IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Beau F

I say following the crowd because around where I play, everyone plays a Titleist.  That is the crowd I was referring too.  Also I if you look at my signature you'll see that I play the cheaper Srixon balls.  I'm sorry if I struck a nerve with you, I mean no disrespect.

I thought it was funny. Maybe the nerve was my funny bone?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:

Also I if you look at my signature you'll see that I play the cheaper Srixon balls.

I also like the AD333, it is long, straight and has a decent spin, but for balls in this category I prefer the Bridgestone e5, same results but just a little bit more greenside spin and above all a far better feel in putting. Best might well be the 2011 Pro v1x, but durabillity is a problem (for me) and it is also way overpriced (62 euro/dz.)

But there are so many days for "hackers" like me (or us), that it doesn't give a S#@T which balls we play ......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by Gerald

Quote:

But there are so many days for "hackers" like me (or us), that it doesn't give a S#@T which balls we play ......

Couldn't put it better myself!

I play Bridgestone B330s because

A: it feels the best when putting FOR ME

B: it chips and pitchs the best FOR ME

C: Iron and woods play was comparable to everything else I tried

and finally, I can get them for 1~2 dollars per ball from places like www.lostgolfball.com

I don't mind playing once used, small marks/scuffed balls but I do mind paying 40$ dollars for 12....thats just crazy.

Originally Posted by motteler621

yea I havent played the gamer but if I was low on cash i would give them a try, seems like a good ball for the price

Take it from someone who will never switch from the Pro-V's, and I've played them ALL! The Gamer is a really good ball for the price.

titleist.gif 910 D2 10.5 -- Diamana A'hina X
titleist.gif 909 F3 15.0 --  Matrix Ozik X-Con
titleist.gif 910 CB 4-PW -- Project X 6.0
cleveland.gif CG10 52, 56, 60.
cameron.gif   Studio Design 1.0   titleist.gif Pro V1    c2_beer.gif It's a Wisconsin thing.

How do the Srixon tour balls feel off the putter compared to the Pro V?  I've always thought about switching but its hard to give up something that feels good.

I might even try the gamer out at some point just to see if it really feels like a tour ball.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

How do the Srixon tour balls feel off the putter compared to the Pro V?  I've always thought about switching but its hard to give up something that feels good.

I might even try the gamer out at some point just to see if it really feels like a tour ball.

It doesn't feel quite like a Pro V1, but it feels very similar to the Pro V1x.  I don't spin the ball back with them, but it does stop in it's tracks (like most new Top Flites do). It's long and straight off the tee, so if you like to work the ball with your driver and long irons, you may need to get used to starting your ball a bit closer to your final target. Going the other way (Gamer V2 to a true Tour ball) is a much harder transition.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Do you know how you can spot a high handicapper post?  If they write that the only difference between their mid range ball and a ProV1 is price.   It’s like saying the only difference in a Corvette and Ferrari or Lamborghini is price… ridiculous!!!!!

I might be a little biased…but the ProV1 is the end all be all.  I have hit just about all the tour level balls and I always come back to the ProV1.  I tested several versions of the Titleist ProV1 prototypes over the last year and the new 2011 version is MONEY!!!  I would say if I was forced to play something else, it would probably be a Penta.

BTW a great "cheap" ball is the Pinnacle Dimesion (Blue Box) $14 a dozen.  It is my back yard range ball.

Originally Posted by Bigtank

Do you know how you can spot a high handicapper post?  If they write that the only difference between their mid range ball and a ProV1 is price.   It’s like saying the only difference in a Corvette and Ferrari or Lamborghini is price… ridiculous!!!!!

I might be a little biased…but the ProV1 is the end all be all.  I have hit just about all the tour level balls and I always come back to the ProV1.  I tested several versions of the Titleist ProV1 prototypes over the last year and the new 2011 version is MONEY!!!  I would say if I was forced to play something else, it would probably be a Penta.

BTW a great "cheap" ball is the Pinnacle Dimesion (Blue Box) $14 a dozen.  It is my back yard range ball.

I completely agree with you....about all your points.  I went through my own extensive testing last year to find the best ball for my game and ended up going with the Pro V1x.  In particular I like the 2007 and 2009 versions.  The 2011 version is little too firm for my liking.  I prefer a softer feel off the irons while keeping driver spin low.  I tested the Pentas last year but opted for the V1x instead; however, I recently found one and finished out my round with it for fun......I can't believe I passed this over last year.  I bought 3 dozen (buy 2 get 1 free) yesterday.  Soft feel, LONGER driver distance (for me), and amazing spin from <100 yards.  I still have a few dozed V1x's, but I'll be switching back and forth from now on.....

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

My pro recommended Srixon AD333's for me. I played them. I like them. I use them.

I feel no need to go out and buy a sleeve of balls just to see what they're like. Saying that however if someone gave me one to try out on a round I'd be happy to.

Use these as well, on a recommendation.  Very good ball for me, at $20/dozen.  Tried many others, and I have to say, there are a ton of good balls out there.  I used to hit Maxfli (now TM) Noodles and Callway Warbirds.  All good balls, really, for the mid handicapper.

I actually think that is part of the point.  As a mid handicapper, I can't really tell that much difference between a Srixon Ad333 and a Titlelist Pro V1x.  Maybe I as I get better it will be obvious - but until then, $20/dozen is about my limit (that is even a bit high).  More money spent on a Titleist won't improve my game.  I have to improve my game before my ball can improve my game.

With that said - there must a reason a ton of pro players use the Pro V1 series - they make their living off consistency and I doubt they would use a bad ball.

The better comparison would be:  Sure, I can see that race car drivers all drive Formula 1 cars and not Camrys, but I don't need anything more than my Toyota to get me to work every day, 'cause I am not a pro.  Offset by the fact that If I used Pro V1's I wouldn't crash into the wall at 200 MPH and severly hurt myself.  Just my Ego when I lose a $4/ball.

When you're looking at AD333 (2 Piece ball) for instance, versus the Pro V1 (3 Piece ball); there is a huge difference. But if you cannot hit the V1 hard enough to compress it effectively, you won't be able to tell a difference between the two.  Both have a nice soft feel, but compression is a major factor.

With that said, I have a few other hobbies as well as golf.  Archery being one of them, I see a lot of guys that buy the best and nicest thing out there that is for advanced shooters even though they cannot properly shoot it.  It is the same thing in golf as in archery, whether they can properly handle the high end equipment or not, people will purchase it so that they can look good and try to win the pissing contest.

If you go to the Titleist website and go to the ball fitting program and HONESTLY answer the questions they ask, there are a lot of guys out there that hit the V1 and V1x when they should be hitting the NXT or one of their other 2 piece balls.  Once you accept that you are not as good as you think you are, and fit yourself properly, your scores will improve.  With that improvement is a progression to more advanced equipment due to your increase in skill.

Just my $0.02

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Beau F

When you're looking at AD333 (2 Piece ball) for instance, versus the Pro V1 (3 Piece ball); there is a huge difference. But if you cannot hit the V1 hard enough to compress it effectively, you won't be able to tell a difference between the two.  Both have a nice soft feel, but compression is a major factor.

With that said, I have a few other hobbies as well as golf.  Archery being one of them, I see a lot of guys that buy the best and nicest thing out there that is for advanced shooters even though they cannot properly shoot it.  It is the same thing in golf as in archery, whether they can properly handle the high end equipment or not, people will purchase it so that they can look good and try to win the pissing contest.

If you go to the Titleist website and go to the ball fitting program and HONESTLY answer the questions they ask, there are a lot of guys out there that hit the V1 and V1x when they should be hitting the NXT or one of their other 2 piece balls.  Once you accept that you are not as good as you think you are, and fit yourself properly, your scores will improve.  With that improvement is a progression to more advanced equipment due to your increase in skill.

Just my $0.02

How fast would your swing speed need to be to get the compression needed from a Pro V1 (with say, a Driver and/or a 7 iron?)

Still not gonna buy them till I'm improved, but just curious.

What pro v prototypes are there?

|callaway.gif X460 Tour Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 73g | taylormade.gif 2i Rescue 11 |  3i HiBore Hybrid |  710 MB |  Wedge Works 48/06 |  cg12 52/08  | vokey.gifSpin Milled 56/11 | nike.gifSV Tour 60/10 | cameron.gif Studio Select Newport 2 34" |

rangefinder : LR550

Originally Posted by Scotchd

How fast would your swing speed need to be to get the compression needed from a Pro V1 (with say, a Driver and/or a 7 iron?)

Still not gonna buy them till I'm improved, but just curious.

My best guess is with a swing speed of around 105-110 consistently for the Pro V1 and 115+ with the Pro V1x.  The higher swing speed will create further shots with the V1x because it is a 4 piece ball.  With the V1 there is a urethane cover, a mantle and a softer core.  The soft core allows for the ball to compress easy while the mantle is more firm to aid in the rebound in shape after ball strike.  The cover is mainly for feel.  With other 2 piece balls (a.k.a. distance balls) the core is more firm than in the 3 piece and the cover is thicker, creating a "harder" ball.

Back to the swing speed.  If you cannot consistently swing that hard and still have a good ball strike, it will be hard to see much difference.  Going to the 3 piece balls will not cure a slice, but they may feel a little better on short game (mainly due to a better cover).  Gripping it and ripping it is only part of the equation with these balls.  Developing as a player is a better way to see game improvements as opposed to hitting higher end balls.

i'll play whatever ball goes the lowest and spins the least on long shots and spins the most on shots under 50 yards.  That just happens to be the prov1x right now with the nike x ball a close second.

I backed up 5 shots off the green completely saturday on a 7-iron, 8-iron, a pw, and two sand wedges.  If someone can make a ball that only spins crazy when it's supposed to they can make it pink and charge $55 a dozen and i'll still buy them.

• Upvote 1

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

I'm a big pro v man and have played them for 3-4 years now and I was all out of them one day. I went to the pro shop picked up the Callaway Si golf ball. It's a superb ball lovely feel and doesn't mark as much as the prov ball. I also used the taylor made pentra ball also a good ball. There's alternatives to the Pro V1's out there and less expensive but equally good.

I use the ZStar XV, its got low spin off the driver, it works good for me.  Personally I really like the ProV1X, its a great ball, but I guess I just like to be a little different, the ZStar XV is a great ball, I do not see any more benefit using the ProV1X, so I will stay with the Srixon.  I am a 17 handicapper, I could use any ball and probably not find a big huge difference, I like to stop the ball quick, I drive as good if not better with the ZStar, its not a huge cost for me, so I don't see why I would not use it.  I think just pick one ball and use it, even if I am having a bad round and losing a few, I only carry one ball and they are all new, so it gives me motivation to hit them straight.

I think it is unreasonable to say "he's a high handicapper use anything"  There is some benefit in using one type of ball and if the high handicapper can afford it, why not use it.  My other passion is fishing and its way more fun to catch a fish on a GLoomis stick than it is on a $39.00 Dicks special...I feel the same with golf!

Just my two cents worth...

Note: This thread is 4617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!