IGNORED

The Speed Freak

GolfBookie
Note: This thread is 4759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This thread really makes me appreciate my locked in 7:00 am tee time on Saturday. Lots of great suggestions that all golfers should read before they play in this thread. I think slow play all boils down to people thinking they're on the PGA Tour lining up putts for an hour, standing over the ball, etc. Mostly because the shot usually sucks and now you gotta get back in the cart, drive 50 feet, stand over the ball for an hour again, etc. 9 times out of 10, that's why it happens. Or looking for a ball forever in the weeds. Don't stand there for five minutes looking for your ball, drop and take your stroke. Plus, when it's super thick up to your waist weeds, you're not going to get it out anyways.

My rounds, walking, usually take 3.5 hours or so. Everyone walks to their ball and hits it. No waiting around or hovering over the ball for an hour. If you're on the green first and have a long putt, roll the putt. If you're ready to tee off, go. We have no order, it really doesn't matter.

I sometimes play casually late in the evening with speed freaks?  These guys main goal is to get in as many holes as possible.  My goal is to hit good shots and improve my skills.  I am quick to my ball and ready to go when it is my turn.

I am not fast over the ball. These guys will play out of turn even when it is not safe, be moving and talking when you are hitting your shots and putts, often are in unsafe positions. They are proud of their speed and think every one else is the problem. If they have to wait they get really grumpy and obnoxious. Groups who play slow is a real and is more frequently the problem, but these guys have no clue that they are acting rudely, because they are self absorbed and self righteous and unable to see any point of view but their own. I accept their offers to play rarely, I know they think I am unsociable, but it is really they who are, because enjoying the game and company is the first goal not fast play.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

1) PLAY READY GOLF!!!

2) "HONORS" MEANS NOTHING!!!

3) THINK ABOUT WHAT SHOT YOURE GOING TO HIT BEFORE YOU GET THERE!!!

yeah, you guessed it, im siding on the speed freaks side.  nothing makes me more uncomfortable that having a group coming up behind us because 2 jackwagons in my group dont do the above things, especially #1 an #3.

i have played in 4:20 and went home thinking how it took too long.

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Another one is to stand still and be quiet when others are hitting. I've had to stop and regroup a lot of times because people in my flight is walking inside my line of view or talking. Sometimes they talk low so I won't hear it, but it's no use, when it's that quiet, you can hear everything.

I pick my club and start thinking about where to hit the ball, hit it, put the club back, then stand still and quiet until everyone has tee'd off.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

well, I don't play honors. I like to keep it casual by playing ready golf. if someone wants to play honors, then yes, I will play honors with them. but 95% of golfers I run into want to play ready golf.

I hate when I am about to swing and my playing partner, who ever it is, walks behind me and is standing there in my line of sight. bugs me and I lose focus on the ball. I know a lot of people will agree with that.

this is a true story.....I try not to let speed freaks bug me. and usually it doesn't at all. I kept my mouth shout this time but another guy I was playing with couldn't keep his mouth shout anymore. the speed freak guy was complaining about how slow it was and that we needed to speed it up even though there was a group in front of us. after 3 holes he started rambling on about this. so on the ninth hole, I felt that we were moving pretty fast, but the speed freak didn't feel like we were. I think he was having a bad day, his golf game was actually pretty good. he still complained about slow play. after nine holes, the marshall was there taking track of how long we played the front nine. a hour and 45 minutes. speed freak couldn't believe it. but it was true. bad day for the guy is all. I would get upset if he was yelling at me to speed up. but he was just yelling to himself really. but it was funny when he realized how fast we were moving

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by NEOHMark

Don't let it bug you - maybe that's just his version of 'ready golf' in his mind (foolish as it is to be standing at the target).  I played yesterday with three riders - and I was the only walker.  If I was safely on the other side of the fairway, it wasn't unusual for me to start walking slightly ahead them - by maybe 20-30 yds.  I'd wait there for the guy away to hit, and then start walking to my next shot.  Almost always, they'd beat me to to the spot on the hole where my ball was lying simply because they had the wheels.  I wasn't pushing them by any stretch - by walking a bit ahead while they would prepare to hit and hit.  It was more like me just trying to keep up.

yeah, sucks to be the only one walking. I have had this happen only a few times. does make me push it a little more than I usually do. I don't mind the 20-30 yards in front. Ithe last time this happened to me I didn't walk 1 yard past the tee box cause of the level of skill they had in golf. not good. so I stayed well behind them. and then briskly walked to my ball. The speed freak I play with is sometimes more than 100 yards down by the time I hit my drive. makes me nervous cause I dont want to miss and kill the guy. just cause you are off the fairway doesn't mean you are safe.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Note: This thread is 4759 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!