IGNORED

Young golfer looking to excel....W/S fg tours? or ci9s?

Note: This thread is 4690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm a rather young golfer...coming up on 1 year this summer. My first set of irons were the rather nice SGI Wilson Deep Red II Distance 3-SW. Cheap, Brand new on ebay, and easy to hit. I live in an area where snow ruins the golf fun for me but lucky enough to have a "golf dome" 74 or so yards long. So mostly meant to work on contact, consistency, trajectory, ETC. I've picked up the game rather quickly shooting mid 80s. (don't care to take the time and find out my handicap. why make golf more complicated?) But after working on my contact and recently buying a tour striker which has improved my pressure upon contact with the ball, i realized that i reached my all around potential with my DR2D's,and forgiving qualities were rather TOO forgiving and i needed more precision.

I'm sold on wilson irons. own the fairway. its true. so im not really willing to hear about mizunos and bridgestones and nikes or callys. I need a club to take me to the next level and i dont mind a club that needs "playing into". Ive found out my swing is stuck in Reg flex and the fatshaft i play thats regular plays more like stiff. Ive tried the Fg tours in only stiff recently and loved them. Beautiful clubs and look like they are forged from diamond. crisp at contact. and i also hit the Ci9s in reg. and they also felt buttery soft, and noticeable "CRACK" on off center hits which i like. I need to know if ive done a shotty job. and i like the looks of these as well. Busy looking? nahh not even the slightest with the stupid "RAZR" and nike emblems. I just need help.

Fg tours are supposed to have lower flight which means slightly more run-off.

ci9s are the opposite.

feel are completely different yet i feel i could excel with either club and at address there is little difference really...both players clubs.

ANY HELP AT ALL WOULD BE AWESOME. why you like them. tried both? consistency? distance losses or gains? rifle shaft opinions? and obvious R300 shaft opinions...? or even the difference out of rough lies. just really any help would be great. I'm young... college kid. but im willing to pay money for clubs since i'll have them for at least 2 seasons maybe..and custom fit (1' long 1' up i think)...love this game and want to love it more =)

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

A quick search of the forum brings up some members who've used the CI-9's: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/34020/wilson-staff-ci-9-irons and a search for the FG Tour's is here: http://thesandtrap.com/search.php?search=wilson+fg+tours+irons¤ttab;=All&start;=0.

Do you have a golf shop that will let you demo both sets of clubs so you can determine which would be better for your game? Do you have access and a relationship with a good club fitter that can ensure your clubs are properly fitted?

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i have tried both of these and ive learned the benefits of fitted clubs for a player of my height but im more interested in hearing everyones thoughts on how these perform and if theyre were anything as far as pros and cons. i feel these irons are almost too similar with some very big differences along with feel and trajectory...but both mid size head...with ample forgiveness.

just wouldnt mind hearing opinions on these irons. reviews are great but its hard to find people who like either to admit to a flaw.

thanks

• 1 month later...

I just ordered the FGs.  We had a demo day at our club a few weeks ago and I fell in love with them.  Great feel, great ball flight.  I found the DG shafts weren't right for me.  Tried the KBS and the PX and for my game the PX 5.5 delivered the best and most consistent ball flight even on less than perfect swings.  I think these will be about 1/2 club longer than my Titleist 804s.  Remember the FGs have traditional lofts and are not pumped up.  The PW is 47 degrees.  Take the time and get fit!  I would not have bought the FGs with the DG shafts.

I also tried and liked the Cobra S3 Pro and the TM Tour Preferred CB.

Good luck in your game.

I gotta be honest and please don't take offense but.... limiting your search to one single brand is really dumb.

The idea of golf is to score low numbers, not to rock a certain brand.

Pretty much every major brand (and several not so major brands) makes a quality product but each line of clubs is different and assuming that because one set did well for you another from the same company will do even better is not good logic.

Everyone has their brand loyalties but that doesn't mean you cant look at your options.

That said its your money spend it how you like it. If i were you id get the FG Tours if your really limited to Wilson. Thatll give you room to grow and playability in the meantime.

In my opinion though Wilson makes very nice entry level game improvement Irons and very nice muscle backs but everything in between they are well behind the other manufacturers. In terms of high level cavity backs like the FG Tours they just aren't as good.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

I gotta be honest and please don't take offense but.... limiting your search to one single brand is really dumb.

Pretty much every major brand (and several not so major brands) makes a quality product but each line of clubs is different and assuming that because one set did well for you another from the same company will do even better is not good logic.

I have to second this, if you take a look at just about everybody's signature on here you'll see a mix of brands that's unique to them.

Take a moment and read through all the "just got new irons" threads and you'll notice that in almost everyone the OP usually says something like

" I always shoot brand X, for some reason I tried these brand Y irons yesterday....I didn't know what I was missing!!!!"

You're not sponsored so take advantage of it, try everything, you don't have to buy from the big price store, you can get fitted and then find what you were fitted for from a cheaper alternative retail source.  Then perhaps you'll progress enough to make it on tour, get sponsored, and never have to buy clubs again.

Quote:

In my opinion though Wilson makes very nice entry level game improvement Irons and very nice muscle backs but everything in between they are well behind the other manufacturers. In terms of high level cavity backs like the FG Tours they just aren't as good.

Hmmm ....... in terms of high level cavity backs the Wilson Staff FG Tour is at the very High end !!!!!!!

Wilson has gone through a bad period, but yet they are very much at a nice level they used to be 20-25 yrs ago, but they just don't have the marketing force and money of Callaway, Mizuno, Cobra, Titleist and TaylorMade...... Still I think and feel they now produce very nice irons.

I played the Ci7 and FG Tour last year and they are excellent products, my swing wasn't at the level I could hit the FG Tour consistent enough last year, but now they would form no problem...... The FG Tour is more like a Players Cavity, but is quality for sure !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

Everyone has their brand loyalties but that doesn't mean you cant look at your options.

That said its your money spend it how you like it. If i were you id get the FG Tours if your really limited to Wilson. Thatll give you room to grow and playability in the meantime.

well i tried mizunos and no offense to pretty much almost everyone in the world but i did not like them. and i did not think they were as sweet on center hits as the Fgs. And it isn't the performance, because performance although slightly shorter in distance. I'm all about the looks and other clubs like Adams cb2's or Titleist Ap1's or the mizuno mp 53's just didn't help me in terms of comfort. I didn't feel right sitting over them. I'm also more of a traditionalist and the FG's have that traditional look.

In terms of the top 3, the Ci9s unfortunately fell out of contention due to feel. I wanted buttery forged irons. And the 3 I had against each other were the FG's, Bridgestone J38 Dual Pocket Cavity irons, and the Mizuno JPX-800 Pro. The Bridgestone's lost the three-way battle because they were a little uncomfortable in terms of address. They were longer from heal to toe which has its purpose in forgiveness but just was not ideal to my eye. I did not get a chance to try out the JPX-800 which I don't mind one bit. Could've made the decision much more agonizing, so I went with the FG's. And so far as I've come, they do need some adjusting in terms of my swing. They are 1" long and 2 deg up. Making my swing slightly more vertical. But, its all come down to the offset in short to mid irons. I'm not turning my hands through contact. It's nice to actually feel what I'm doing wrong. So with a bit of time I could dial these in. The Shaft is quite lighter than I expected to get out of the Mizuno shaft analyzer "thing". NS pro 95g reg. Very light. Kindve hinders the control of my trajectory height, but once I get these irons down I'll consider switching the shafts out for a light weight stiff flex in either Rifle Flighted or PX Flighted.

Originally Posted by Gerald

Quote:

Hmmm ....... in terms of high level cavity backs the Wilson Staff FG Tour is at the very High end !!!!!!!

Wilson has gone through a bad period, but yet they are very much at a nice level they used to be 20-25 yrs ago, but they just don't have the marketing force and money of Callaway, Mizuno, Cobra, Titleist and TaylorMade...... Still I think and feel they now produce very nice irons.

I played the Ci7 and FG Tour last year and they are excellent products, my swing wasn't at the level I could hit the FG Tour consistent enough last year, but now they would form no problem...... The FG Tour is more like a Players Cavity, but is quality for sure !

I'm only a "year-old" golfer and the 3 big reasons I got into golf were, My Aunt whose an incredibly experienced player, one time mentioned I should've started at age 10 or 11 (Age 19) just because of where I could be now with years of experience. That I had a somewhat natural swing. Second, after my first year of college and playing college basketball, didn't get much playing time and my summers would probably not be consumed by hundreds of thousands of jump shots. So I looked to golf as my new passion. Lastly, and the final connection to Wilson. In, 2009 I actually watched my first British Open. And I'm bias towards the story, the possibility of a vivid memory. Much like Michael Jordan's buzzer beater against the cavaliers called "the shot", or John Elway's "the drive". Tom Watson made a run of his life for a British Open title, at age 59! I remember my dad just reveling on how much he respected Tom as a person more so than as a player. I'll admit, I've always been a sucker for a football player, hockey player, or whatever that has received the title as a "class act". I'll remember that tournament for the rest of my life. And as for Wilson, they have earned the title as one of the most successful companies in golf. The numbers don't lie. And how they're angle on making golf less stressful in terms of price, or even what they offer? Just think....

Fybrid Irons- Easy connection. As well as distance.

Di11's- Easy Distance.

CI9's- Easy, Straight forward control.

FG's- Cavity Back Forged. Majority of the market is attacking this style of club.

FG 62's- Timeless classic. Older players are actually considering replacing their old Wilson blades.

Even the "half+half" shaft, which honestly isn't my swings cup of tee. But its the innovation

They have everything the big wigs are trying to target. For instance, you won't go wrong getting Di11's over TaylorMade Burner 2.0 irons. And you might even save 100 bucks.

Didn't mean to write this much, or even knock the other companies. I just value a companies history. I'm sure I'll get one maybe two sets from a different company. But, I'll most likely come back to Wilson every time. So anyways, I agree with you HAHA and I might have just opened a can of worms in terms of people loving other companies.

BTW, another company I like in terms of comparison to Wilson is ADAMS. Ironic. Tom Watson?

Note: This thread is 4690 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!