IGNORED

May 2011 Golf Digest Ball Review

Note: This thread is 4172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf Digest performed their annual ball review for this month's issue.

Curious what everybody's thoughts were.  Also perhaps list your current ball and the ball you are most likely to try after reading the article.  And your handicap

My current ball : Bridgestone e6

Most likely to try now : Noodle Easy Distance (I have a sub 85 mph swing, so it seems like a logical fit)

Handicap : My guess is around an 18/19 as my last few rounds have been 44, 85 (40/45), 46

Here are some of my takeaways:

• Bridgestone e5 - I have to imagine these will be flying off the shelf soon as their launch angle and spin rival many of the "tour caliber balls".  Just wish they came in yellow like the e6
  • Top Flite Gamer v2 - Once again rated high.  Here are some quotes  "This balls technology defies its price point.  If the ball had a little more short-game spin, it would nearly be tour quality."
  • Innovex V-Motion - A company I have never heard of, whose Mid-tier priced ball performance, rivaled tour caliber balls
  • Bridgestone xFIXx  - a low end ball that I haven't seen around.  Would be a nice choice to get into a top golf ball manufacturer at a good price point (under $20) with a decent amount of spin (ranked 2nd for spin in the low cost category behind the Noodle Easy Distance)
  • Noodle Easy Distance - Surprised to see the spin on this ball (ranked #1) in the under $20 category.

Driver: Ping G25

3w - Ping K15

3h - TEE Trilogy

4h - TEE Trilogy

5h - TEE Trilogy

Irons: Ping G25 6-LW

Putter: Odyssey White Ice D.A.R.T
Bag: Nike SQ Tour

Optics: Bushnell Tour V2 Slope

Shoes: True Linkswear

Current Ball: Whatever I end up collecting from working at a course, but the only ball I will actually buy is the Nike Tour D

Ball Most Likely to Try: Nike 20XI, being a Tour D fan, have to try it.

Only been golfing two full summers and I have played a lot of different balls because of working at a golf course, you collect a lot of balls from low end to premium. The Nike Tour D is one of only two or three balls that I can honestly say I notice a difference in and actually enjoy playing.

I was very surprised that the E5 was rated so high in the spin category.  I always knew that the Gamer V2 was solid, but I wish it had a touch more spin.  I will stick to my Pro V1s for now, but I think I may have to check out the Bridgestone 330-S at some point.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I also like the Gamer V2, but have been sticking with the Maxfli HT and Tour LC. I have a slower swing speed (87 mph) and these seem to work better than the Pro V1x and Callaway Tour ix 's. I guess it 's just what you get used to......the HT rolls more but my short game has adjusted to the roll out. I really like how they perform off my driver and irons.

My current ball : Nike SFT

Most likely to try now : Top Flite Gamer v2

Handicap : 11

I have a high swing speed ( 108 ) so SFT has been pretty decent, but want to try the Gamer V2

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Current ball: Bridgestone B330-RXS

Ball most likely to try: Bridgestone B330-S

Thoughts: The E5 is a great ball if you are on a budget.

• Upvote 1

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone tried out that Innovex ball?  i am seriously intrigued by it.

BTW, the Top Flite gamer v2 didnt score as high as it did, and the e5 from bridgestone scored higher than i thought it would.

they need to make a ball with the three layers of the e6 but with the cover from the e5.

• Upvote 1

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Current ball: Penta TP, Bridgestone B330-S Ball most likely to try: 2011 Titleist ProV1/V1x Thoughts: Most years I do a very extensive "ball test" (so to speak, do a search and you'll see what I mean). This year, due to some extenuating circumstances (1 year-old had open heart surgery, it's been very cold and I've been rebuilding a v10 in my driveway), I won't be doing my typical ball test. I am intrigued by the 2011 ProV1/V1x though so I will give it a fair shake sometime over the next month or so. I can't see myself doing a full out "ball test" this year though.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

I restarted playing some serious golf in 2010 ..... and used NXT-Tour, 2009 Pro V1(x), AD-333 and e-5 and found the e-5 a midpriced alternative for the Pro V1x and the AD-333 an alternative for the NXT-Tour ....... still the prefs went to the Pro V1x when my hc. went below 10.

I started 2011 with a few doz of 2009 Pro V1x and as soon as the 2011 Pro V1x came in, I bought a few doz and also got a few sleeves of the 2009 Pro V1 ..... sofar I can say I prefer the 2011 Pro V1x better than the 2009 model as the spinrate comes a bit closer to the 2009 Pro V1.

I will try the 2011 e-5, if it has more hop&stop; spin than the former e-5 ...... it sure is a great ball and a great alternative as a social round ball, but for competition and tournaments my prefs are toward the 2011 Pro V1x. The 330-s comes also very close to the 2011 Pro V1x, but at the price I paid for Titleist the 330-s is to expensive for me.

Current hc. is on the left ......

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I currently play Titleist ProV1.

Most intrigued by Innovex V-Motion and the Bridgestone e5 balls. (You can't find the V-Motions anywhere yet... www.innovexgolf.com is taking pre-orders at this time)

Current Ball: NXT Tour

I bought a box of e5's after reading this article and I'm switching.  They seem just as straight and long off the tee and generate a lot more spin around the greens.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

My current ball: Srixon AD333

Most likely to try now: Srixon Zstar, Titleist ProV1, Nike 20XI

Handicap: 18

SS Driver: 105-110

Bought a box of Titleist ProV1 PRACTICE balls last week.  Going to try them when I'm feeling confident about my game.  Curious about added distance with driver and feel around and on the green.

if anything, youre going to get a little less distance with a tour ball like the ProV.

i dont know why so many people think the longest balls are the expensive tour balls...

Colin P.

Current ball : Srixon ZStar (tour yellow)

Likely to try : TM Penta TP (especially with the buy 2 get 1 free deal going on); GamerV2

HC : 17.2 and dropping

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

Current: Noodle Tour LTD (I think they might have stopped making these I have not seen them in a while but I really liked them)

Likely to try next: Bridgestone e5 or possible will go back to Srixon AD333's which I was using before the Noodle tours.

HC: Dont keep an official one yet but usually shoot right around 100.

I drank the kool-aid.  Golf Digest's hype has finally gotten to me. For years I've been reading about every ball being compared to a Pro V1 and figured I might as well know what it is, so I bought a dozen.  It should surprise no one that I'm convinced it sticks the green better than the Pinnacle Exceptions I've been using all winter.  I don't notice any loss in length off the driver, and I like the way it feels putting.  I might have to try another premium ball like the Penta or something next.

Question:  On Titleist's web site they claim the Pro V1X will reduce a slice or hook compared to the Pro V1.  Has any one ever noticed anything to that?  I've never bought into the idea that a ball can reduce your slice, it seems to me that if you hit the ball with a slice swing, it's gonna slice.  But I could be wrong.

yes, a slice swing will produce a slice on any ball.  there is no ball that will hide a slice, and the difference between the 2 ProV balls is not a much as you might think.

if you want a genuinely want a "straighter" ball go with a 2 piece distance ball and not a tour ball.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by dbwood

Question:  On Titleist's web site they claim the Pro V1X will reduce a slice or hook compared to the Pro V1.  Has any one ever noticed anything to that?  I've never bought into the idea that a ball can reduce your slice, it seems to me that if you hit the ball with a slice swing, it's gonna slice.  But I could be wrong.

Oh, it's definitely true.  The higher spin of the V1 will make it curve more in flight.  Side spin is still spin.  Since the V1x is lower spin, higher launch, it will not curve as much.  Just like Colin007 said, the distance ball will curve even less.  But the ball will react to the shot you put on it.

Note: This thread is 4172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!