IGNORED

Titleist Pro V1 vs. Srixon Z-Star

Note: This thread is 4350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am currently using the titleist pro V1. i have heard lots of great things about srixon, and i think i am going to switch to the Srixon Z-Star. Do any of you have advice or expiriences to share? Also how much money are the Srixon Z-Stars? I would like some advice or guidance. Thanks

Eagles 14

910 D2 Driver 9.5*, adams.gif Speedline Hybrid Fairway 15*, adams.gif Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype 20*, wilson_staff.gif FG Forged Tour Irons 4-PW, cleveland.gif CG 11 Gap Wedge 52*, cleveland.gif CG 10 wedges 56* and 60*, odyssey.gif White Ice Rossie Putter

srixon.gif Z-Star ('11)

Well your handicap is much lower than mine, so you may find differences that I didn't, but from my experience with both balls I like the Srixon. I just tried out the Z-Star X tour yellow on the course yesterday and I loved it! Price wise they're comparable to the ProV1, however last years balls are on sale at most of my local stores (if theres anymore left) for approx. $25. With the coupon I had I only paid $15 for the dozen Z-Star X yellows I bought a few weeks ago. It was a steal!

• Upvote 1

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Best thing to do is try a sleeve.

I actually tried my first sleeve of ProV1's yesterday and liked them.  I have played Zstars before and liked them as well. Even with my ability, I can tell both these are better balls in terms of feel and performance than the next step down, ie NXT's etc. From my limited experience, the ProV feels a little hotter off the face, where as the zstar has a little softer feel.  In both cases I used the regular version not the "x".

I did not practice a lot with my wedge around the green yesterday, but just to go out and play, the Zstar might be a little more natural to me around the green, but I could certainly get used to the ProV--i think it is a little bitier-I hit some chips with the ProV that would have released a little more and been closer with the Zstar--but its not a bad thing.

I can't comment on distance because I was using different clubs, but I would expect that the ProV would be a little longer through the bag-I was using an old driver and surprised at the distance.

They are both great balls and someone of your ability could probably have an advantage with one or the other.Try a sleeve or so of Zstars and let us know what you think.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

once i get back from spring break golf trip i am going to buy a sleeve. Stay tuned for my opinion on Pro V1 vs. Z-Star

910 D2 Driver 9.5*, adams.gif Speedline Hybrid Fairway 15*, adams.gif Idea Pro Gold Tour Prototype 20*, wilson_staff.gif FG Forged Tour Irons 4-PW, cleveland.gif CG 11 Gap Wedge 52*, cleveland.gif CG 10 wedges 56* and 60*, odyssey.gif White Ice Rossie Putter

srixon.gif Z-Star ('11)

Just came back from playing with the 2011 Pro V1 and in all honesty, I found myself wanting to grab my Zstars out of the bag. I've stocked up on the closeout srixon balls 24 bucks a dozen.  I've grown fond of the tour yellow also. Zstar feels softer on all clubs to me. Titleist feel heavier off the driver, not bad but again. I've been trying several balls this season (early as it may be) I've tried Callaway IZ, 2011 Pro V1 and last years Zstar. I have not tried the NEW Zstar, but of the three, I'll keep grabbing the Zstars out of my bag.  Just purchased 4 dozen on clearance. My SS is mid to upper 90's and using my new Callaway Razr Hawk driver (love that thing) Good Luck with your golf season!!

I have played a Z star before and really liked it, it felt like the ProV1 in all aspects but it felt a little better off the driver and that is because I use Titleist woods..

I currently use the Zstar XV and really love it. Distance is very good and a couple of times I have to take it easier on my SS because this ball goes. Durability is alright, since it has the thinnest cover in golf, it will get scuffed. Overall I think... I switched to Srixon!

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

Funny that I saw this post today, b/c I just retuned from Golf Galaxy to exchange my Z Star's for Pro V's.  I did my own "extensive" testing last season (on and off course) to find the best ball for me, and determined that the Pro V1x was perfect.  I initially stayed away from Titleist b/c I didn't want to follow the herd, but they really are the best balls on the market IMO. I'll ramble about that after I give my 2 cents about the Z Star's if anyone cares.  Anyway, I wanted to get a lower compression ball to play while the weather is still cooler (in SE PA), and I saw the Z Star's on sale for $25/dz so I bought 2 dozen.  I took them to my local course (which also has a 70yd practice range) and tested them side-by-side with the Pro V1 (not the x).  I didn't notice any significant differences in the long game, but inside 100 yards, the difference was noticeable. The Pro V1 checked up much better (preferable for me) and felt better off the clubface....not necessarily softer though, just better.  Overall, the peformance of the Pro V1 was better enough that I decided to take the 2nd dozen back and exchange them for (2009) Pro V1's.  I'll use them until the weather get's above 75* or so.

As far as searching for a ball, I was looking for 3 characteristics during my "testing":  1) Low driver/long iron spin 2) higher approach/greenside spin 3) soft feel.  I found several balls that met 2 of my 3 criteria, but the Pro V1x was the only one that met all 3.  For example, the Tour i(z) met criteria 1 and 2, but not 3.  None of the Bridgestone balls had enough spin.  I actually didn't get to try out the Z Stars, and that's why I bought them recently.  They obviously didn't make the cut either.  To each his own, but for me, Titleist is worth the extra money.

On a side note, I was fortunate enough to receive a sleeve of the 2011 Pro V1x from Titleist back in September to test them out and provide feedback.  My feedback was that they had a firmer feel to them than the previous 2 versions, and I would be sticking with the the 09 or 07 version.  I personally like the 07 version the best.  Any other Pro V1x users have opinions about the 2011 ball?

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

You might also want to give the brand new Z-Star XVs a shot. They've already converted two of the habitual Pro V1x guys that I play with. Don't have the swing speed for X balls of any description myself but do love the standard Z-Star tour yellows. Once you go day-glo neon, you never go back!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

If I come across on I'll try it, but I have 6 dozen V1x's to play now.  I'm not spending any more money on balls for a while.....

I find little performance difference between the two although the srixon is far more durable than last years Pro V1 X.  I have no idea if that has changed any for the PRo V.

The Z-Star is every bit as good as the Pro V1 and costs less.  I say go for it.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Though the Z Star is a good ball, it doesn't have the same "drop and stop" performance around the greens.  Yeah, it's a catchy term from Titleist, but the balls really do check-up much better than any other ball I've tried (including the Z Star).

A couple years ago I did a detailed review on the Srixon balls.  Since I'm a Titleist guy, the review may interest you.  Also, since you're a frequent visitor of The Sand Trap then you probably have already read it.  Of course their formula has undoubtedly changed so I may have to give them another try.

In short, I'm still playing the Pro V1x.  I'm going to give the Penta a try because I liked the TM Black and Reds when they came out.  The Srixon's just had too much spin and not enough feel around the green for me.  I'd rate them higher than any Nike I've played though...but that's just my opinion.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Originally Posted by Derek02

Though the Z Star is a good ball, it doesn't have the same "drop and stop" performance around the greens.  Yeah, it's a catchy term from Titleist, but the balls really do check-up much better than any other ball I've tried (including the Z Star).

This is the conclusion I came to as well. I compared the newest Z star XVs against the new ProV1x and feel that they are both great balls. The Z is slightly more durable, much more visible, especially to my old eyes, but slightly shorter and a little less (but not much) spin on approach shots. The deciding factor for me was the spin on partial shots: The Titleist was more responsive.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 3 months later...

I really do not believe there is much, if any, difference in the top line golf balls.  I believe the top line balls are all made to go longer with the driver and stop quickly with the wedges.

Penta...enough said. Better value than the Pro V's with equal feel around the greens (in my opinion). No distance sacrifice either.

Srixon balls feel "clunky" around the green to me...no love when you're short sided on fast greens and need some bite. That being said, I know a lot of good players that swear by them...

Since we are talking about golf balls, what about the Taylor Made Penta.  Some swear it is a longer ball.  Also, you notice some of the manufacturers will suggest which ball you should use based on your swing speed.  From what I have read, most of us should not even be using the three piece balls.

Note: This thread is 4350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!