IGNORED

What would you pay to play Augusta National?

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. You're given an oppotunity to play Augusta on a gorgeous spring day. How much would you pay to do this?

• $0 Don't care, and I wouldn't walk across the street to play that cow pasture
    • $0-$99 Looks good, but not that good
    • $100-$499 It's a premium course, I'd pay a premium price
    • $500-$999 Better than Pebble, so I'll pay more
    • $1000-$2499 This is a once in a lifetime experience - why not?
    • $2500-$4999 Really, it's once in a lifetime!
    • $5000-$9999 It's only money, right? The kids don't really need to go to college
    • $10,000 or more Divorce, bankruptcy.....it would be worth it

We're all fantasizing about it....the ability to play Augusta National and feel in person what we're watching on TV this weekend.     But if the opportunity came, what would you be willing to pay to play Augusta?

Assume that a member isn't likely to call you up and invite you as his guest, but you have an opportunity (perhaps a charity auction?) to pay some money and play the course.    To equalize things assume this is cost to play only - airfare, hotels, etc. are comp'ed so those who live in the UK aren't disadvantaged to those in Atlanta.

What would I pay?    I'm probably towards the "divorce" side of the choices......

• Upvote 1

If I was already there, I'd pay up to $100, but not more. In reality I'd probably pay a bit more, but I went with option 2. I don't anticipate scoring very well there and honestly, shooting bad scores is not that fun.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

In the article I said a couple of thousand, and I stick by it. I could go all philosophical and say, "well what is life if not for... blah blah blah," but really, that's just how I value a once in a lifetime experience. Especially if I could bring my dad.

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Originally Posted by jamo

Especially if I could bring my dad.

That changes things. Did you see my answer in the article? $250... but not if I could choose the foursome of buddies.

Plus, they'd owe me big time.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

That changes things. Did you see my answer in the article? $250... but not if I could choose the foursome of buddies.

Plus, they'd owe me big time.

Yeah I saw it. I'd pay a couple of thousand either way. If I could bring my dad that'd be a bargain as far as I'm concerned.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I voted the way I did for the simple fact that it would be a "once in a lifetime" thing. Even knowing I probably wont score well, but it's just so damn beautiful. And I would definately pay that price if I could bring my Father and a couple friends.

sunmountain.gif C-130 Cart Bag: titleist.gif 910D2 10.5Deg   taylormade.gif R9 15Deg, Burner Superfast 5W/7W   mizuno.gif MP-57 5-PW
scratch.gif 54*ds, 58*ds    cameron.gif Red X2    callaway.gifTour iZ

$100, really????  I'm guessing you're a little younger and maybe $100 is a lot of money to you, but you do know how hard it is to get on Augusta right?  Of course this is only a hypothetical, but still, I've paid $100 for a lot crappier things before than a round at AUGUSTA NATIONAL!!  You know, the same place they play 1 of 4 Majors every year with a limited field.  Lots of pros can't even get on that course.

I voted in the $2,500- 4,999 range and right after clicking even thought about going up to the next level.  I'm sure someone could work their ass off their whole lives to get in a position to MAYBE get invited out there, or network out the ying yang in the golf community to somehow talk to just the right person, but to say you would only pay $100 is an insult to Augusta and the game of golf really.  I don't necessarily think you'll be thinking about how bad you're scoring if you had the chance to play that course.  I would go in debt for AWHILE if someone said I could go play next week.

Driver: Taylormade Burner TP (2007 model)
Fairway Wood: Callaway Steelhead III 4+
Hybrid: Sonartec MD 19
Irons: Mizuno MP 33s  4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled wedges: 60, 56, 52Putter: Odyssey DFX 9900

All I will say is playing Augusta is worth more than almost any "electable, non-endangering, expense" you can come up with.  Today, the shot Rory hit into number three was about as great a shot into that hole and pin location as one could imagine.  I knew he was in for a great day after seeing that one.  Incredible.

RC

I said 1000-2500

But $1000 is my max.

And I would play it in 5 and a half hours.....lots of photos and sightseeing

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I've been given the opportunity this year to play the course on one of the days when the course is open for non-member play.  These days are open to the media who work the tournament, long time volunteers who work the tournament, and caddy's day.  Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this and I may get the opportunity to invite a guest.  The club pulls out all the stops on these days by providing a buffet lunch on the grounds under the big oak tree by the clubhouse and you can play the main course and par 3 course as much as you like while daylight holds out.  I know some caddy's who have made it around the main course almost 3 times but I'm thinking I'll take a more leasurely approach of playing the par 3 and the main course, eating lunch, and then playing however much else I can, but focusing more on soaking up the experience rather than playing as much as possible.  I've also heard that from the member's tees (the tees I'll be playing from) the course is actually quite easy.  We'll see.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

I've been given the opportunity this year to play the course on one of the days when the course is open for non-member play.  These days are open to the media who work the tournament, long time volunteers who work the tournament, and caddy's day.  Needless to say I'm pretty excited about this and I may get the opportunity to invite a guest.  The club pulls out all the stops on these days by providing a buffet lunch on the grounds under the big oak tree by the clubhouse and you can play the main course and par 3 course as much as you like while daylight holds out.  I know some caddy's who have made it around the main course almost 3 times but I'm thinking I'll take a more leasurely approach of playing the par 3 and the main course, eating lunch, and then playing however much else I can, but focusing more on soaking up the experience rather than playing as much as possible.  I've also heard that from the member's tees (the tees I'll be playing from) the course is actually quite easy.  We'll see.

I'll make sure to pm you my cell number and email.....I wouldn't want to you to have to rummage around for my contact info when you're getting to ready to invite me as you very appreciative and generous guest!

• Upvote 1

I'd probably take a billion dollars, buy the club and make it a public course and get rid of all the bullsh*t that goes along with the beautiful track and the great competition it hosts every year.

Current Gear Setup: Driver: TM R9 460, 9.5, Stiff - 3W: TM R9, 15, stiff - Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Black, 18, stiff - Irons: Callaway X Forged 09, 3-PW, PX 5.5 - SW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 54.14 - LW: Callaway X Series Jaws, 60.12 - Putter: PING Redwood Anser, 33in.

I would not pay anything to play at Augusta National, not because I think it's a bad course (as far from it as possible), but because the only chance in Hell I'll ever have to play it is if someone invites me.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by OCdude12

$100, really????  I'm guessing you're a little younger and maybe $100 is a lot of money to you, but you do know how hard it is to get on Augusta right?  Of course this is only a hypothetical, but still, I've paid $100 for a lot crappier things before than a round at AUGUSTA NATIONAL!!  You know, the same place they play 1 of 4 Majors every year with a limited field.  Lots of pros can't even get on that course.

I voted in the $2,500- 4,999 range and right after clicking even thought about going up to the next level.  I'm sure someone could work their ass off their whole lives to get in a position to MAYBE get invited out there, or network out the ying yang in the golf community to somehow talk to just the right person, but to say you would only pay $100 is an insult to Augusta and the game of golf really.  I don't necessarily think you'll be thinking about how bad you're scoring if you had the chance to play that course.  I would go in debt for AWHILE if someone said I could go play next week.

The bolded part kinda dumbfounded me. Just because someone would only pay $100 to play there doesn't mean they're young and don't have a lot of money. That's just illogical, stupid and pretty insulting. Some people value money differently than others and care about things more than others.

I personally would love to play the course, but I wouldn't spend a lot to play there. I mean yeah, it's an amazing course. Not just physically but historically. And the feeling of playing there would be unreal.

I'd pay maybe $250-500 to play there. It'd be amazing to play there, but it wouldn't kill me to not play there.

• Upvote 2

I voted for 1,000 to 2,500 but the more i think about it i don't believe i would stop there...and if you made if a fousome i would certainly go higher.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by sean_miller

If I was already there, I'd pay up to $100, but not more. In reality I'd probably pay a bit more, but I went with option 2. I don't anticipate scoring very well there and honestly, shooting bad scores is not that fun.

This.  It doesn't matter how nice the course is.  If I don't have the skills to handle it, then it's not going to be much fun.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!