IGNORED

What would you pay to play Augusta National?

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 member has voted

1. 1. You're given an oppotunity to play Augusta on a gorgeous spring day. How much would you pay to do this?

• $0 Don't care, and I wouldn't walk across the street to play that cow pasture
    • $0-$99 Looks good, but not that good
    • $100-$499 It's a premium course, I'd pay a premium price
    • $500-$999 Better than Pebble, so I'll pay more
    • $1000-$2499 This is a once in a lifetime experience - why not?
    • $2500-$4999 Really, it's once in a lifetime!
    • $5000-$9999 It's only money, right? The kids don't really need to go to college
    • $10,000 or more Divorce, bankruptcy.....it would be worth it

Originally Posted by Fourputt

This.  It doesn't matter how nice the course is.  If I don't have the skills to handle it, then it's not going to be much fun.

I think Augusta National is an exception.  If you play Augusta and dont have fun...i dont think you love the game very much....Sure its better if you are on your game.  But playing Augusta, with all the history that has gone on there. Not to mention it is dead sexy

Id pay 100 to walk it.

Considering im a student and have zero money, i would have to take out a loan...but i would if i could actually play there

Tiger90

Originally Posted by sevesgod

To me the greatest golf course in the world is The Old Course St Andrews and its £150 to play it, so i wouldnt pay anymore than that.

Yeah but St. Andrews is a public course and anybody can play.  Augusta is private and only open to the members for a couple months of the year.

Supply and Demand

Tiger90

• 2 months later...

I know a guy here who offered a round of golf at his local club to a visiting US businessman and was told to look him up if he ever came to New York - which he did and was asked if he had clubs. said yes, and off they went to the airport for  a trip to someplace which he  realized was Augusta.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my favorite line in the selection list

"$100-$499 It's a premium course, I'd pay a premium price"

less then 200 is not a premium price for public golf

500 is certainly a premium for a public golf course...supply and demand dictate that the same 500 is not premium for Augusta or similar type course.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted by 8.5_Drive

A man i played golf with once at my club claimed he had played augusta with a friend from america

Is this even possible?

Yes - it is possible.  I'm originally from Augusta, and I know many people (men and women) who have played the course.

A lot of women play the Augusta National.  Someone who would know once told me women play over a thousand rounds a year there, which for a winter-only course is a lot more than people would expect. So it is likely that your friend was telling the truth.

By the way, the women who go there say they are treated with more respect than anywhere else they go.

I've voted 100-499$.

I've played courses like St. Andrews Old Course, Royal Birkdale or the Carnoustie Championship course. And for the three combined, I didn't pay more than 600 pounds (including caddies). And those courses have at least the same amount of "history" as Augusta.

So why should I pay more than that to play ANGC?

100 - 500 is a big range.  I would probably pay somewhere in the 100 - 350 range.  Sick course, but then again there are other unbelievable courses that could be played for less

• 7 months later...

If you go to the course (or even watch on TV) it's actually hard to believe how big the fairways are. I have never played it but judging from what I've seen being there, it looks like this courses main defense is the greens and around the greens. You can pretty much hit it anywhere off the tee.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• 2 months later...
Originally Posted by Zwick

I've voted 100-499$.

I've played courses like St. Andrews Old Course, Royal Birkdale or the Carnoustie Championship course. And for the three combined, I didn't pay more than 600 pounds (including caddies). And those courses have at least the same amount of "history" as Augusta.

So why should I pay more than that to play ANGC?

In a word:  aesthetics.

Augusta National has a lot of beautiful features.  Probably not quite as beautiful all-around as is shown on TV - I'm sure they restrict the cameras to the most scenic views, but still seems to be a beautiful golf course.

St. Andrews - well, someone once said "There's nothing wrong with the St Andrews course that 100 bulldozers couldn't put right."  - Ed Furgol

or

“Down home, we wouldn’t plant cow beets on something like that.”  Someone pretty famous said that - a guy name Sam Snead.  He also said "Say, that looks like an old abandoned golf course."

or

"It's not even in the top 100 courses in Fife!" - Lee Westwood

I think the Old Course looks like an ill-kept dump.  The most historic dump in golfdom and, I'm sure, a remarkably challenging course, but an ugly, boring mess of brown grass that would earn a course in America accolades like "poorly maintained" and "too cheap to water adequately" and "goat track."

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Wisguy

Augusta National has a lot of beautiful features.  Probably not quite as beautiful all-around as is shown on TV - I'm sure they restrict the cameras to the most scenic views, but still seems to be a beautiful golf course.

St. Andrews - well, someone once said "There's nothing wrong with the St Andrews course that 100 bulldozers couldn't put right."  - Ed Furgol

If I had ten rounds to play the rest of my life and had to choose between The Old Course at St. Andrews and Augusta National, I'd play Augusta National once and the Old Course nine times.

Esthetics are not everything.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'd rather play the OLD TPC at the Greenbriar and stay there for a week. That wish has some chance of happening....Playing at Augusta? I might as well wish I break seventy while I am at it.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Originally Posted by Wisguy

or

“Down home, we wouldn’t plant cow beets on something like that.”  Someone pretty famous said that - a guy name Sam Snead.  He also said "Say, that looks like an old abandoned golf course."

or

"It's not even in the top 100 courses in Fife!" - Lee Westwood

I think the Old Course looks like an ill-kept dump.  The most historic dump in golfdom and, I'm sure, a remarkably challenging course, but an ugly, boring mess of brown grass that would earn a course in America accolades like "poorly maintained" and "too cheap to water adequately" and "goat track."

Totally agree with Erik. Once you get past the beauty of the maintenance at Augusta, you play it because it has great strategy. And no course in the world requires greater strategy and gives you options like TOC. Golf is meant to be played on courses laid out over existing land, making the best strategic use of that land. Augusta National once was that sort of course and much of the routing is still as it was intended so it's still a great course but not as Mackenzie originally intended.

The last 2 courses I played, both in California would never be considered esthetically pleasing except for having mountains in the distance but both are naturally laid out over the land and have beautiful natural bunkering and great green complexes. By the way these are Rustic Canyon and The Meadow Club.

my wife would castrate me if i paid more than 5 Benji's to play a round of golf, but anything like Augusta or equal, what she does not know will not hurt me

In a dinner conversation a few nights ago an acquaintance told his wife, in the vein of Indecent Proposal, that if she found someone to sleep with that would get him on Augusta she should do it. I think that situation is not worth it. I think some places I will just never get to play. I am okay with that. I would probably like the OP asked pay somewhere around Pebble pricing, but I think even that is steep.

Michael

Originally Posted by sevesgod

To me the greatest golf course in the world is The Old Course St Andrews and its £150 to play it, so i wouldnt pay anymore than that.

Are you kidding?  I mean, they could charge at least 3 times that and fill the course with American tourists all day.

I played as a teenager with my mother (in the 60's).  I forget what it cost but it wasn't much.  How do I know?  Because I know she wouldn't have payed more than a few quid.   All I remember is that I stank up the place but had a really good time - other golfers were very friendly.

100-499 is what I put down for Augusta coz I'm cheap.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by mchepp

In a dinner conversation a few nights ago an acquaintance told his wife, in the vein of Indecent Proposal, that if she found someone to sleep with that would get him on Augusta she should do it. I think that situation is not worth it.

If they find someone and that works out, please PM me with their contact information so I can send a picture of my wife.    I love her dearly, but I think I could deal with this as long as it gets me on Augusta.   She'd understand.

Note: This thread is 4041 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!