IGNORED

Rule question, tire tracks.

darkhunter139
Note: This thread is 4757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing a round the other day and I hit my ball into a huge tire rut to the left of the green (Looked like a car got stuck there and it was a huge crater, that would be impossible to hit out of)

Would I get a free drop in this situation or would I have to take a penalty stroke?

If the committee has declared it ground under repair (or does so when you request a ruling), then you'd get relief.  Otherwise, no.  If it's a deep rut such that the ball is truly unplayable, they should declare it so.

If I were playing, I don't bother with the committee business, and I wouldn't hesitate to make the determination of whether it "should" be GUR or not.  This isn't quite compliant, though, but is certainly more expedient.  In a tournament situation, of course, you need to go the committee route.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

If the committee has declared it ground under repair (or does so when you request a ruling), then you'd get relief.  Otherwise, no.  If it's a deep rut such that the ball is truly unplayable, they should declare it so.

If I were playing, I don't bother with the committee business, and I wouldn't hesitate to make the determination of whether it "should" be GUR or not.  This isn't quite compliant, though, but is certainly more expedient.  In a tournament situation, of course, you need to go the committee route.

In a stroke play competition, you also have the option of invoking Rule 3-3 and playing a second ball, then reporting it to the committee before returning your card.  I would do this if it is impractical to get a committeeman or rules official to make a timely ruling.

• Upvote 2

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

In a stroke play competition, you also have the option of invoking Rule 3-3 and playing a second ball, then reporting it to the committee before returning your card.  I would do this if it is impractical to get a committeeman or rules official to make a timely ruling.

Yep.  You can also take a drop that's compliant with both the ground-under-repair rule and the unplayable lie rule, then play out with the single ball and have the issue resolved with a ruling at the end.  (Decision 3-3/11, http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-03/#3-3/11)  Not necessarily a good idea, but if you're all out of golf balls... :-)

In the bag:

Got another rules question but rather then make a new thread ill just post it here.

I was playing today and I hit it into a ditch with a water drain in it right off the fairway, if I took a drop outside of the ditch would I be correct in assuming I would have to take a stroke?

Originally Posted by darkhunter139

Got another rules question but rather then make a new thread ill just post it here.

I was playing today and I hit it into a ditch with a water drain in it right off the fairway, if I took a drop outside of the ditch would I be correct in assuming I would have to take a stroke?

Was it marked as a hazard? If not than you would get relief as the drain(I'm assuming like a steel drain) would be man made and you would get 2 club lengths. If it's a hazard it's point of entry and a penalty.

Also just out of curiosity what course were you playing I lived in west chester for about 3 years so I know quite a few courses in that area.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

A ditch, whether or not it contains water at the moment, is a water hazard by definition.  Thus, your only options will be those from the water hazard rules, which don't include relief from an immovable obstruction (even if, e.g., if the drain were interfering) or an unplayable lie.  You'll incur a penalty for anything except playing it as it lies.

In the bag:

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Was it marked as a hazard? If not than you would get relief as the drain(I'm assuming like a steel drain) would be man made and you would get 2 club lengths. If it's a hazard it's point of entry and a penalty.

Also just out of curiosity what course were you playing I lived in west chester for about 3 years so I know quite a few courses in that area.

Kimberton golf course. Nice little course for the price and only about 10 minutes from my house.

And yeah it was like a steel pipe going into a little ditch.  I played it because I was not sure and did not want to take a penalty stroke.

Note: This thread is 4757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!