• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
k14

Cell Phone GPS Apps Legal or Not?

73 posts in this topic

According to this guy's blog here an iphone (an most smartphones for that matter) are illegal to use as a distance measuring device because they have a compass. Now this is news to me and even though the guys argument does have a little bit of merit I disagree with his interpretation of the rules. Also the fact that thousands of us are using their Iphone for distance measuring I am surprised it has taken so long for someone to work out they are illegal. Over here in New Zealand the golfing body (from what I have been told) has ruled gps devices legal on all courses and even in amateur tournaments I believe.


So what do the rules gurus on here reckon?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I think he's probably correct.  The compass is a bit of a red herring, since as far as I know most smart phones don't have compasses (except for GPS-derived velocity heading type display).  However, they do typically give you weather reports, can be used as inclinometers, could potentially be used to measure wind speed (can be done with a microphone to reasonable accuracy), etc, so there are plenty of things they can do that are not permitted.

If I were playing in a competition where GPS were allowed, I'd use a dedicated GPS so there would be no question.

It's a bit tricky to interpret that rule, since what a device is capable of is not well-defined.  Does not having an installed application to perform a particular illegal measurement take away the capability?  Someone could download the app in the middle of the round, so even that is hard to check.  Personally, I think the rule should not allow them.

As for normal rounds, I wouldn't sweat it.  It falls into the set of rules that I don't care to enforce.  I use an iPod Touch for scorekeeping and I know I don't use anything else, that's good enough for me.  In competition, though, I'd put it away and use a scorecard and a pencil.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually never thought of this but I haven't seen anybody in a tourney using a smart phone for a gps. I would have to agree though with the amount of apps that apple has out there I'd have to assume that some would technically help. Then again I'm not sure weather reading, wind reading, or a compass would really help anyone that much but rules are rules. I'm sure the usga will probably be more clear about this rule in the near future since smart phones seem to be a popular gps now days.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's just a bitter OLD GUY that doesn't have an iPhone or know how to use one… Hahaha

Seriously though, I just used one at my match play tournament yesterday. I figured if the course has GPS on the carts why can't I use a handheld gps device? I honestly don't see the issue with them…

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is as easy as can be, just prohibit the use of phones at the course (it is not "done").

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No different than not allowing rangefinders that can give you elevation changes in my eyes. It's just your poor luck that the phone got so many features.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements



Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

I think he's just a bitter OLD GUY that doesn't have an iPhone or know how to use one… Hahaha

Seriously though, I just used one at my match play tournament yesterday. I figured if the course has GPS on the carts why can't I use a handheld gps device? I honestly don't see the issue with them…


Yeah the thing I can't compute (and it is in the comments of the blog) is why is the player trusted to report a breach if they touch their club in the sand, or the ball moves when it's addressed but if they use a device with a compass function then it doesn't matter if they actually use it they are straight away assumed to have used it. Just seems bizarre to me. But I will keep using my Iphone till someone can convince an official to disqualify me.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this is an issue of inertia.  Rules does not keep up with times.  I am sure if this is illegal, someone somewhere will still use it.  So the bottom line is:  does this iPhone and it's App makes the guy play better during the tournament?  If it does, then it should not be used.  I see the same deal with new equipment vs. old equipment.  So should we make new equipment illegal just because we are not comfortable with their "technology"?



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GolfFans

So should we make new equipment illegal just because we are not comfortable with their "technology"?



There are lots of rules that golf clubs has to conform to. Like the trampoline drivers that got banned. This is not something new.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

Seriously though, I just used one at my match play tournament yesterday. I figured if the course has GPS on the carts why can't I use a handheld gps device? I honestly don't see the issue with them…

The issue with them is that it's against the rules. Pretty simple, really.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements



Originally Posted by Gerald

It is as easy as can be, just prohibit the use of phones at the course (it is not "done").


or relegate their use to cart paths only (for emergency purposes)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've known of competitions which allowed the use of electronic rangefinders (both GPS and laser) but prohibited cell phones, because the many additional but disallowed features are too hard to regulate.  It would be difficult to impossible to tell if a player was using it in an improper way unless you were looking right over his shoulder.  We have disqualified a couple of players in the past for using an illegal laser with slope, and the players didn't even know that it was against the rules (at least that's what they said ) .  No telling what sort of excuses you'd get from the smart phone users.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the same I have been told from our state association when I was looking for clarification for our high school matches. The skycaddie and similar devices are perfectly fine but iphones/androids/etc are not allowable because you can get other information which can help your game that you can not get on the golf specific gps rangefinders. On the iphones you could get wind speed, direction was one of the examples I was given. I know there are also some apps to help you with your aim for putting and things like that. That's what I was told.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

If it's a casual round or whatever than I don't see an issue with using a phone as your gps... you know exactly what you are doing on it and during a casual round that is all that really matters.  In a tournament however, I wouldn't even think of using one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards and Achievements

Might as well just carry a 15th club then.  If you know it's a rule then you're willfully breaking a rule.  It might be silly, but there's no inherent right to use a smartphone during competition.  Not your fault that smartphones are basically computers, but they are, and it would too difficult to formulate rules that allowed smartphone/GPS applications but banned all features that are against the rules.

Originally Posted by k14

Yeah the thing I can't compute (and it is in the comments of the blog) is why is the player trusted to report a breach if they touch their club in the sand, or the ball moves when it's addressed but if they use a device with a compass function then it doesn't matter if they actually use it they are straight away assumed to have used it. Just seems bizarre to me. But I will keep using my Iphone till someone can convince an official to disqualify me.



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by clubchamp

I actually never thought of this but I haven't seen anybody in a tourney using a smart phone for a gps. I would have to agree though with the amount of apps that apple has out there I'd have to assume that some would technically help. Then again I'm not sure weather reading, wind reading, or a compass would really help anyone that much but rules are rules. I'm sure the usga will probably be more clear about this rule in the near future since smart phones seem to be a popular gps now days.


I agree, I think they should make some sort of announcement about it, just to avoid people getting into trouble through ignorance.  While everyone should know the rules, this sort of falls into one of the categories where I'm a little sympathetic to people not having put two and two together.  I'm sure the app-writers for the smart phones are hoping they won't make noise about it, though...

It occurred to me just now that making or answering a call on your GPS-capable smart phone might be against the rules, too.  This one is a bit less clear, but in a legalese sense, you are "using" a position-measuring device even if you never use it to measure a position.  That's something that I think certainly deserves clarification.  One can (separately) debate whether phones should be allowed at all, of course...

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

I think he's just a bitter OLD GUY that doesn't have an iPhone or know how to use one… Hahaha

Seriously though, I just used one at my match play tournament yesterday. I figured if the course has GPS on the carts why can't I use a handheld gps device? I honestly don't see the issue with them…

It's not an issue with a handheld GPS device, it's an issue with a handheld GPS device that also measures things other than your horizontal position.

Originally Posted by k14

Yeah the thing I can't compute (and it is in the comments of the blog) is why is the player trusted to report a breach if they touch their club in the sand, or the ball moves when it's addressed but if they use a device with a compass function then it doesn't matter if they actually use it they are straight away assumed to have used it. Just seems bizarre to me. But I will keep using my Iphone till someone can convince an official to disqualify me.

An observer could, in principle, determine whether almost any other rule were violated.  Since the displays on most of these devices are small enough to be private, the same is not true.  That's a small, but I think significant difference.  It's easier to cheat when you know nobody can possibly know.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

If it's a casual round or whatever than I don't see an issue with using a phone as your gps... you know exactly what you are doing on it and during a casual round that is all that really matters.  In a tournament however, I wouldn't even think of using one.


I agree with this.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What I don't get is the guy's edit and clarification at the end:

Quote:

* Edit: Following correspondence with other Rules experts I now believe that the situation regarding the use of iPhones during competitions is at follows;
1. If there is a Local Rule permitting the use of distance measuring devices a player may not use an iPhone 3GS for measuring distances because it has a compass feature that cannot be removed. However, it may be used for any non-golfing purpose.
2. If there is not a Local Rule permitting distance measuring devices then a player may take an iPhone 3GS onto the course, providing they do not access any feature that might assist them in their play.

None of this makes any sense to me. You can use the phone for non-golfing purposes even though all of the features that supposedly make it illegal to use as a GPS are just as accessible, if not MORESO than if you are using a GPS APP?  That makes absolutely no sense.  And if you are allowed to take the phone on to the course "providing [you] do not access any freature that might assist...in [your] play", why on EARTH woudln't you be able to use the GPS APP under the same restrictions???

If the rule says the device is illegal to use as a distance measuring device because it can do other things, then it's illegal, period.  The above rationalizations do nothing but muddy the water even further.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2016 TST Partners

    GAME Golf
    PING Golf
    Lowest Score Wins
  • Posts

    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      No problem.  I'm not tired of responding to sincere and thoughtful posts, like yours, even if it rehashes stuff from before because OF COURSE it is unrealistic to expect people to read 3000 posts before commenting.  In any case I have that quote in a file and it was simple to post it - much simpler and politer than saying "go find it , it's here."  I DO think that one should maybe at least read a smattering of such a big thread before jumping in,   But I have no patience whatsoever with the "I saw Jack play" and "he was nice at a clinic" type posts or posts by people who try to claim some special credibility because of some entirely personal subjective connection.  But that isn't you. As to the rest, you asked for the exact quote and I gave it to you.  If you want to argue with what he said, that is another matter and does not concern me, since my position is that even if we, arguendo, say that the field strengths did NOT get better, Tiger's career was so much more dominant than Jack's that it doesn't matter.  I don't NEED to make a stronger field argument to make the case that Tiger dominated golf in a way and to an extent that no other golfer has ever dominated golf.  And he did it for 15 years (after an absolutely unprecedented career as an amateur) which, IMO, is long enough that it no longevity argument could overcome the sheer dominance advantage his career embodied.   The fact that all that is true in the face of field strength increasing is just icing on the cake.   
    • Jack or Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?
      Excellent. Thank you for re-posting that quote. Sorry to hear you're tired of rehashing. Why not just let the thread die then? Is the expectation that folks will read all 272 pages before making a comment? That strikes me as an unrealistic expectation.. I agree the tour is tougher than it used to be. I consider the differences more incremental than astronomical...not the 'order of magnitude' range that seems to come through in some comments. I think Jack is both being accurate in assessing his perception of a shift in quality, but also exaggerating for effect or experiencing present-day myopia at the very least about the money. $100 in 1962 money would be ~ $800 dollars today. Not exactly what I would call bus fare. The 'paltry' $100,000 had the buying power of about $800,000 in today's dollars, which is ~ 60% of today's average purse and ~ 30% of the Players' purse).. Most Americans would happily take an annual salary like that today. They weren't getting ditch digger wages. The prize money even then definitely attracted keen competitive interest. Clearly purses have also grown more than inflation and even journeyman make more in a year than the top 10 in 1962 (below), but it seems about in line with the growth of the population of golfers in the U.S. itself - about triple since Jack's day, Endorsement money has definitely gotten bigger, as the tour and the golf marketplace have developed and expanded over time.   Rank       Player                  1962 $                   2015 $ 1            Arnold Palmer        $81,448                 $639,223 2            Gene Littler           $66,201                 $519,562 3            Jack Nicklaus         $61,869                 $485,563 4            Billy Casper            $61,842                 $485,351 5            Bob Goalby            $46,241                 $362,910 6            Gary Player            $45,838                 $359,748 7            Doug Sanders        $43,340                 $340,143 8            Dave Ragan          $37,327                 $292,951 9            Bobby Nichols       $34,312                 $269,288 10          Phil Rodgers          $32,182                 $252,572  
    • Claim Your Achievements Here!
      Broke par, Lowest Score Wins. 
    • Disadvantage of too stiff a flex?
      I've often thought about going with an X flex driver shaft.  I may get an adapter from My Titleist 910 and experiment.
    • Claim Your Achievements Here!
      I'd like to claim the "Broke 80" award, as I managed this for the first time December 28th last year.   1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 OUT Gross 5 4 4 5 5 3 5 5 5 41(41) Par 4 4 3 5 4 3 4 4 5 36 Distance 353 357 168 465 312 142 389 339 492 3017 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 IN TOTAL 5 4 4 4 5 3 5 4 4 38(38) 79 (79) 5 4 4 4 4 3 4 3 4 35 71 479 356 323 355 396 185 309 136 365 2904 5921               Thanks!        
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Images

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. TessaEdin
      TessaEdin
      (24 years old)
  • Blog Entries