IGNORED

shaft length, anybody play shorter shafts

duke
Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently bought a new set of irons which were made in the early 90's when clubs were a little shorter. I think the 5 is only 37.5, maybe even 37.25. I'll probably add a 1/2 to it but I hate to put too much more swing weight on.

Funny thing is I kind of like the shorter club, makes a 6 look like a 7 on set up. I'm 6'3 however and I have to watch my posture. When I look at photos of Faldo when he was winning he got a little bent over on his short irons. I also read about 5 years ago that Ernie Els played a 1/2 shorter iron and sometimes it looks like he is playing some pretty short clubs out there.

Main worry is swingweight and losing a lot of distance and I hate to say it but having the ego involved of only hitting a 9 irob 125 yds. But I bet they go straighter. I haven't hit these yet, just horsing around in my basement.

being tall, I've actually have before and am always think about adding lenth to my clubs to get me a little more upright, more than increasing the loft. I for one, don't like the look of an too upright club.

Interested in anyones thoughts especially anybody tall but not playing longer clubs or even shorter ones.

thanks

At the end of the summer I went to irons that are a 1/4" under and am quite happy with them. I did lose a bit of distance but that is most likely due to heavier shafts (graphite to steel) and more loft. Actually, as my old irons were graphite they were a bit longer than standard steel, so I am playing 1/2" under what I was.

My only complaint is that I tend to hunch over too much with my wedges and I wish I had kept them all at 9-iron length. But that was my mistake in putting them together.

My driver length is 43.5", less than the standard 45" that you buy off the rack. After adjusting the swingweight having the shorter shaft has made a noticeable difference in both accuracy and distance. I hit the fairway more often and, because I find it easier to hit the sweet spot with the shorter shaft, my distance has improved.

I'm only 5'8" but the critical measurement, according to the clubfitter, is arm length to ground. He tells me he has fit people over six feet with somewhat shorter clubs - it all depends on their body type and how low the arms hang.

I am thinking now of adjusting the shaft length and swingweight on my hybrid and longer irons, based on my experience with the driver.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

My driver length is 43.5", less than the standard 45" that you buy off the rack. After adjusting the swingweight having the shorter shaft has made a noticeable difference in both accuracy and distance. I hit the fairway more often and, because I find it easier to hit the sweet spot with the shorter shaft, my distance has improved.

When I was fitted they took a half inch off of my irons and 1 degree flat. Will this decrease my distance and if so, by how much?

905R 9.5˚ - UST Proforce V2
904F 15˚ - YS-6
695cb 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey SM54.14 and SM60.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1x / Pro V1Cyberbilt

Got 1 inch off from my driver shaft last summer and I'm planning to get shorter iron shafts for 2007. Found the need for that simply by the fact that I already have to choke quite a lot on standard length shafts to get good hits. The shorter shaft on my driver helped me to keep the ball in play more often and even got some extra distance 'cause it was easier to handle. So if you're like me, quite short with "gorilla" arms, give it a try

I have two sets of Irons, the one set is pretty old i suppose it was made around 1950, they are very short blades specially made for my grand uncle, and the other set is +1 inch Iron Set. They only differ in distance, i hit the long Irons farther thats all! The feeling with both and the ball flight is nearly the same once u are used to the lenght of the shaft but i have to admit that the long irons are better for my knees and the back i dont have to go down that much with them

WitB

R7 Superquad 10.5
R7 Steel 3 Fw
2 Iron Rescue Dual MP 60 3-PW Vokey SM 56.10 Vokey SM 60.08 White Hot XG # 9

• 1 year later...
I'm 6'3 and I play 1/2" over on my irons but I've shortened my driver, 3 wood and 5 wood by 1". My driver is now 44". When I first got my driver I used to consistantly hit it out the heel robbing me of distance and accuracy. So I cut down the shaft by 1" and playing the exact same setup. Only now I hit out the middle of the club which obviously gives me more distance and more fairways.
Control in my opinion will always be better than outright distance.

I just got fitted yesterday and they recommended 1/2" over. They also suggested to keep the Driver the same length not to tweak it.

Bag: Warbird Hot Stand
Big Bertha 460
Big Bertha Irons
2-Ball putter

• 6 years later...
Hi I am 6ft 5 long legs I play of a 13 handicap my irons are half an inch shorter then standard length. I have had many fittings for irons and each time I'm told I should be 1/4 to 1/2 inch to a full inch longer . I got fitted for some Maltby irons by a proper club fitter . My swing is better then ever I am more accurate then ever before and I get plenty of hi ball flight . For my driver and fairway woods I grip down the shaft an inch and a half and hit 12 fairways in a round on a bad day .so any body that is thinking of gripping down the club try it. You will be surprised at how accurate you are . Remember all the major club manufacturers clubs are about one inch longer then they were twenty years ago and the lofts are stronger then ever . The tour players don't play with long clubs so why should you. If someone could teach my to putt I would be on a single handicap in no time :~(

Just cuz y'all are tall, that's not the only thing to consider. Your arm length plays a part in how long, or short your shafts should be, and your posture may be taken into consideration.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

dminn,

How much distance will you lose with 1/2" off your shaft? If you were fitted for this, probably not much... or, you could actually gain a little. Proper shaft length helps you get more center cut hits.

Too short a shaft, and you have contact on the toe end of the face, rather than the center. Too long a shaft, you can have contact on the heel side, or spray shots a lot.

My X20 Tour 5i is 38" long, and my SLDR 5i is 37.75" long. I tend to hit the SLDR iron on the toe half of the clubface on full shots. When regrip time comes this fall, I'll do some impact decal tests to see if I need an extension to get center cut hits.

(Lie angle adjustments help straighten out shots: Lie too flat can cause misses to right, too upright can cause misses to left).

• Like 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 3555 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!