IGNORED

Need Help! Hitch and slide move

Note: This thread is 4757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Long story short; I am a very good player when I have multiple alcoholic beverages on the course to calm my nerves. Also when I am on the range or play by myself, not any issues.

But when I play with others, I put a slide move and a hitch at the top of my backswing which in turn throws off my flow, making me block everything right. I know this is a serious problem that has only been getting worse.

But when I drink, it never shows up, so I drink every round now (including tournaments) to play good golf. I want to get away from this bad habit, but I hate playing bad golf.

Does anyone have experience like this or can anyone help me! Please!

Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated

Set down the drinks, stay loose with your partners and slow down ... slow way down.

If it were me ... I'd guess you get a bit anxious, "I'll show you dudes who can whack the ball the farthest ..." and your tempo is waaaaaay too fast. The worse you hit it, the faster your tempo and the worse your game then the faster your tempo and so on. Kinda like McIlroy's 7 on # 10 yesterday ... it just snowballs until it kills ya ...

Whatever your tempo is on the range or by yourself ... memorize some jingle in your head ... one and two and three and .... etc. or watch me hit this ball ... in ionic rythym ... remember that pace of tempo and repeat that on the course with your buds ....

My advice ... slow down.

I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

Your absolutely correct, I am way too fast on the course. But I can't get myself to slow down. I want to jump on the ball, thus creating a slide move and hitch at the top.

I am going to try a 1..2..3 caddence and practice with my feet together to try to stay back.

Yes that's what I do. My first down move is sliding my left hip forward, causing a pause at the top of my downswing and blocking everything right

http://www.amazon.com/Tour-Tempo-Secret-Finally-Revealed/dp/0385509278

buy it ... use it ... you'll never regret it ...

I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

I read Zen Golf a while ago and got a good tip on tempo.

Do your preshot routine behind the ball VERY slow...when you walk up to the ball, walk in slow motion as if you are stalking the ball... just like a cat moves through tall grass sneaking up on a furry lil guy to have a good lunch.

Stalk the ball...give it a try!

Helps me when i'm under some pressure and speed up a bit

ok... basically, you want to, at the top of your backswing, move your left hip back and keep your same inclination(spine angle) to the ground. if you can keep this diagonal bend from the waste at the same angle then your arms will have room to move beneath and in front of you. shawn clement has a really good video on this:

• Administrator

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

ok... basically, you want to, at the top of your backswing, move your left hip back and keep your same inclination(spine angle) to the ground.

What about the lateral motion of the hips?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

What about the lateral motion of the hips?

With low handicap players, I've noticed that this hipslide happens whether or not they notice it. I chose not to address it cause i didn't want to complicate the issue. Besides, have you ever tried to keep your inclination and hit a ball without the hips moving toward the target? It's pretty much impossible not to and keep from falling over sideways.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by senorchipotle

With low handicap players, I've noticed that this hipslide happens whether or not they notice it. I chose not to address it cause i didn't want to complicate the issue. Besides, have you ever tried to keep your inclination and hit a ball without the hips moving toward the target? It's pretty much impossible not to and keep from falling over sideways.

Most, but some still don't get enough slide. We taught a + handicap last year (runner up city champ) who tipped backwards to get secondary axis tilt. But okay, yes, I agree with your generalization.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't mind a little slide, but the hitch seems to go along with it. I ordered the Tour Tempo book which is coming tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some tips on routine, state of mind, and/or practice techniques that will help me.

I should be a scratch player, but cannot get past this issue. Thanks for all the help.

Note: This thread is 4757 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!