IGNORED

Nike VR Splits or Wilson Staff Ci9s?

Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well I sold my slingshots and Nike Dymo 4 wood and am going to buy some new irons this week.

I've had my eye on the Ci9s for a while now, and got to hit them at a golf show and loved them. The only issue I have with them is that the set is 4i-GW instead of 3i-PW

I already have a GW that I love so I have no need for the Wilson one.

It also means I need to buy a 3 hybrid to replace the missing 3 iron

Now, the Nike Splits are on sale for $600 and the set is 3i-PW. This means I can keep my GW and won't need a 3 hybrid...I have no clue how well I can hit a 3 iron though

I am going to hit both this Friday first, but wondering what you guys think

Thanks

Kieran

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Not in Canada brand new

Kieran, before you make your purchase you need to realize that the Nike's are traditional lofts and the Wilson's are bumped.  The Nike's starts at PW 47-43-39-35-31-27-24-21 and the Wilson's start at GW 48-44-40-36-32-29-26-23.  So either way you are starting your wedge at 47 or 48 degrees.  If you go Wilson, I would bump your 6i to 28, the 5i to 25 and the 4i to 22 and you would be set and if you went Nike you could keep it as is.  When I bought my 735s, they were 47-43-39-35-31-28-25-22 and I put them to my specs of 48-44-40-36-32-28-24-21 just to spread out the lofts a bit and cover my gaps better.  I hope this gives you something to think about.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Kieran, before you make your purchase you need to realize that the Nike's are traditional lofts and the Wilson's are bumped.  The Nike's starts at PW 47-43-39-35-31-27-24-21 and the Wilson's start at GW 48-44-40-36-32-29-26-23.  So either way you are starting your wedge at 47 or 48 degrees.  If you go Wilson, I would bump your 6i to 28, the 5i to 25 and the 4i to 22 and you would be set and if you went Nike you could keep it as is.  When I bought my 735s, they were 47-43-39-35-31-28-25-22 and I put them to my specs of 48-44-40-36-32-28-24-21 just to spread out the lofts a bit and cover my gaps better.  I hope this gives you something to think about.

Yes this is another thing. The Wilsons are closer the the lofts of my Slingshots which would be easier to adjust to...it's a tough choice

Overall I personally feel the Ci9 is an easier set to play (I played Ci7 last year for a while, but didn't like the Senior flex graphite shafts the salesclerk sold them to me not knowing my swing) ...... few golfers will play the Ci9 3i (20*), but if you like..... it can be ordered seperately.

The Ci9 GW has the loft of a normal PW, so you absolutely need the 4-GW set if you chose for the Ci9, unless you buy let's say a 48* specific wedge.

I personally prefer a set's 47*-48* is this loft is still used for a lot of fuller swing shots.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

I think I am going with the Ci9s.....I will go to the range and f=igure out my yardages again with them.....now which wedge should I drop? I will have the Ci9 PW and GW, then I have my 52* GW, 56* Sw and 60* LW.....maybe time for the LW and SW to go and time to get a 58* SW to fill their place

Well I got the Ci9s....amazing clubs

Have set up a club fitting session in a few weeks, but took them to the range last night.

The difference between my Slingshots and these is night and day.

Hitting a 4 iron felt weird, because I haven't hit one in almost 2 years....and compared to a 4 Hybrid, it's definitely harder, but when you hit it pure it is a great feeling compared to the 4 Hybrid

The clubs are less forgiving and the feedback from shots off the toe etc is great, but the feeling of hitting the ball dead center is a lot nicer than the Slingshots, which were dull.

The sound they make is crisp compared to the thud of the slingshots as well.

The look at address is better with a thinner top line, the look of them in the bag is nicer, nice and shiny....love them.

Didn't get to check distances as I was at an indoor range ( snow ) so hopefully this week I will get out and check them.....

Working the ball is definitely a lot easier as well which will take some getting used to, I used to have to make more of an effort to move the ball with my Slingshots, and these don;t require as much of an effort, so will have to practice this as well

The only grievance I have are the grips. Worst stock grips I have ever seen/used. This isn't necessarily bad, because I ordered some multi compounds from golfsmith, but it seems weird to make such a nice looking club and throw on crappy Walmart style grips

DSCN0867.JPG

DSCN0869.JPG

Anyway,

Very happy with my purchase....can't wait to take them to the course

Congrats on your purchase, I'm glad to hear you're happy with them!!! They look great!

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Congrats on the new clubs...nothing like new sticks and obsessing about how to set them up.  It is so exciting and is the dawn of a new day.  Well, maybe not so dramatic, but it feels good to see the golf bag bling.

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

...the Wilson's start at GW 48-44-40-36-32-29-26-23...If you go Wilson, I would bump your 6i to 28, the 5i to 25 and the 4i to 22...

Along with the above, I would also consider setting your wedges up 53-58 or 54-60 so you can work that 3h in there.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 4749 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!