IGNORED

Custom fitting with range balls?

Zeph
Note: This thread is 4755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'll be attending a Titleist demo day in a couple of weeks and maybe getting fit for a new driver. They will set up shop with a Trackman launch monitor at a nearby range with new 2-piece range balls. The alternative is on an indoor launch monitor/simulator, which I don't trust to be as accurate as Trackman. Any thoughts on getting fit with range balls for a driver? Will the results with range balls be comparable to the balls I play? They do of course have very different specs. I simply don't have the option to hit my own balls outdoors on a launch monitor. It's either simulated ball flight with my balls or actual ball flight with Trackman and range balls.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Obviously as you mention the best way to fit is with the ball you play. But, given your two choices I would go the outdoor range route. You will have a Titleist professional helping you and you will also be able see your actual ball flight. If it was a set of irons I might have a different answer. But with your driver, I would go the outdoor/range ball route.

• Upvote 1

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Seconded. I'd rather do an outdoor driver fitting with range balls than an indoor fitting with good balls. You'll get a somewhat restricted flight, but still a far better idea of general trajectory and shape than you do looking at the monitor in a cage.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Had a thought after my post. Do you have a shag bag sitting around with the balls that you took out of play? I have one full of Pro V1X. Might have 100 balls in it by now. What if you narrowed it down to the driver and shaft with the range balls and then took maybe 5 or so of your own retired balls and gave the driver a test?

• Upvote 3

titleist.gif Titleist 910 D3 - Project X 6.0 7C3 Shaft  |  adams.gif Adams XTD Super Hybrid - 15 degrees  
adams.gif Adams Idea Pro A12 Hybrid - 18 degrees 
Adams CB2 - KBS Tour Shafts - 4 - PW
vokey.gif Vokey 54.10 Oil Can  |  vokey.gif Vokey 60.07 Oil Can  |  rife.gif Rife Trinidad - SuperStroke

Good advice provided.  Outdoor range with Trackman, plus some of your own shag balls if you are brand and model-partial.  You might as well get the most accurate results since it will benefit your fitting.

Had a thought after my post. Do you have a shag bag sitting around with the balls that you took out of play? I have one full of Pro V1X. Might have 100 balls in it by now. What if you narrowed it down to the driver and shaft with the range balls and then took maybe 5 or so of your own retired balls and gave the driver a test?

Don't really have any shag balls in the same model as I play. I lose the ball long before it becomes too beat up to keep playing on. But I do have 30-40 Pro V1 07/08 models which I bought cheap from eBay some years ago. They just sit in a box and I never play them. Also got a bunch of Bridgestone E5 that I don't play with. I'll bring along some of those and hit one here and there during the fitting. I normally play with Pro V1x or Taylormade Penta, so the 07/08 V1 and E5 are not exactly similar to the balls I play, but they're closer than the range balls anyways. Thanks for the advice, I was leaning towards the range all the time.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I got fitted for my driver at the range with trackman and with a certified Titleist certified Fitter. Good result even with range balls .
What I Play:
913D3 9.5°Diamana Kai'li 70 Stiff  "C3" | 910F 15°, Diamana Kai'li 80 Stiff "D2" | 910H 19°,  Diamana Kai'li for Titleist 85 Hybrid Stiff | Titleist 714 AP2 4 to P Aerotech Steelfiber i110 S | SM4 Vokey 50.12, 54.14 & SM5 60.11K| 34" Edel Umpqua + 40g Counter Weight

Note: This thread is 4755 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!