IGNORED

Quesion about irons spacing

Note: This thread is 4753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

ive got a set of Callaway x16 irons and am in the ,market for a 3 & 4 hybrid to replace my irons. My three and four irons are at 21 and 24. I am extremely interested in getting Burner Rescues, but the degree for the Rescues are 19 and 22. I am worried that if I get the Burner 3H and 4H the spacing from the 22 degree 4H and my 27 degree 5i will result in a distance gap. I say this, because from what I've heard you typically want 3-4 degrees between you irons. Any advice?

I suspect you'll introduce a gap.  The 4H will probably launch higher than your 3I, though, and might effectively replace the 3-Iron.  Is there a 5H in that set?  Maybe get a 4H and 5H to replace the 3 and 4 irons (test this on a launch monitor before buying).  If you're really worried, see if you can get the 3H cover to put on the 4H, and then put your 4H cover on the 5.  You might start thinking of them as 3 and 4 despite what's printed on them.

Whenever I hear someone hit a shot with a particular TaylorMade iron/hybrid, I always add one to the number.  Hit something with your TM 5-iron?  I think of it as a 6.  And so on.  I hope 19-degrees doesn't end up as the new 3-iron.

(Sorry;  I'm too young to be this cranky about changes in golf, such as lofts)

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Three things likely will combine to create a gap:

• H shafts are longer than comparable iron shafts
  • In this case, H lofts are stronger than comparable numbered irons (these are free-standing hybrids, not iron-replacement Hs designed for the Callaway set)
  • Hybrid heads, when hit cleanly, generate better lift than comparable irons

If you're looking to replace the 3i and 4i, you might go with 4H and 5H. This is onecase where you'd have to do a gap analysis with a clubfitter to see how to blend the Hs and numbered irons. Or, conduct personal tests.

If you end up with one spot where there's a 15-yd. gap, you can handle it: Just choke up on the H a quarter inch when you need to shave off a little yardage.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4753 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!