IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It became very obvious about two years ago that Dan is ONLY interested in getting publicity.

If some crappy airline magazine wants to do a story on him, or if he gets to go to Pebble Beach or be flown to Australia for an interview he'll go on for weeks about it.

He doesn't respond to anything else.

The whole thing is about him making money and forging an identity as an inspirational example. It has nothing to do with golf and really never was.

This is why I find him such a detestable jerk.

Right, because he thought to himself, let's leave my easy $85,000 year freelancing gig working 25 hours a week to pursue something I've never done before all to test a theory of an egomaniac. Get over yourself Shorty. I know Dan personally, and have for many years, before he started TheDanPlan. It was never about making money.

Right, because he thought to himself, let's leave my easy $85,000 year freelancing gig working 25 hours a week to pursue something I've never done before all to test a theory of an egomaniac. Get over yourself Shorty. I know Dan personally, and have for many years, before he started TheDanPlan. It was never about making money.

Can you shed any light on what's going on with him?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

(edited)

New piece in biz magazine, Success. I respectfully disagree w/the elite talent statement. Maybe you don't need elite level, but there's a certain threshold that needs to be met. And I disagree w/the mental/MBA-ish approach. The swing's the thing, there's some mental, but not commensurate to the importance attached to it as implied by the piece.

Furman acknowledges that McLaughlin has a long way to go but thinks he has the right work ethic to reach his goal. “You don’t need elite talent,” Furman says. “You need purposeful practice.” But it’s not as simple as working out the math needed to reach 10,000 hours, and hitting that mark doesn’t flip a magical switch.

That concentration on immediate concerns came from McLaughlin’s “goal guru,” Stuart Hamilton, a Scotsman in Alexandria, Va., who heard about McLaughlin’s mission and knew his experience in project management for the business world could be helpful. Emailing McLaughlin to offer his advice, Hamilton explained that although the novice golfer knew where he wanted to go, he needed a more precise route.

http://www.success.com/article/the-10000-hour-theory-does-practice-make-perfect

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

New piece in biz magazine, Success. I respectfully disagree w/the elite talent statement. Maybe you don't need elite level, but there's a certain threshold that needs to be met. And I disagree w/the mental/MBA-ish approach. The swing's the thing, there's some mental, but not commensurate to the importance attached to it as implied by the piece.

Interesting article. Not sure I agree with it all either, particularly the bit you've pointed out. Saying it's all down to purposeful practice, that 'talent' accounts for nothing is way wide of the mark IMO. The most obvious example has to be driving distance.

Let's say that your physicality only allows you to drive the ball 240 yards. No matter how much effort you put in you don't possess the natural strength to get the ball past this point. You won't compete at PGA tour level no matter what your skills are in other areas of the game. At the point at which not only is every par 5 on tour out of reach in 2 shots but so are many of the par 4s you will not be able to compete at this level on those courses. A certain distance off the tee is a 'requirement' to play at that level and if you don't have the talent, you're not borne with the physical attributes to be able to do it, then you will never be able to play at that level.

Pete Iveson

This is the kind of stuff that participation trophies originated from.  It might be a better world if we were all born with the same natural talent and it was only a matter of harnessing that talent that differentiated us from the pro's but that's not the real world we live in. 

This feel good, you can do it if you work hard and practice perfectly is what leads people to make poor life choices and then ruins their lives when they are confronted with reality.  Chances are Shaquille O'Neal will never be the jockey of a winning Kentucky Derby winner and Willie Shoemaker would never be an NBA superstar no matter how hard they tried. 

Granted those are extreme examples but the point is the average person cannot perform at a professionals level by practice alone, no matter how high in quality the practice is.  If nothing else, Dan has proven this, given his poor to average athleticism/genetics has limited his progress due to injury only halfway through his journey. 

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

This is the kind of stuff that participation trophies originated from.  It might be a better world if we were all born with the same natural talent and it was only a matter of harnessing that talent that differentiated us from the pro's but that's not the real world we live in. 

This feel good, you can do it if you work hard and practice perfectly is what leads people to make poor life choices and then ruins their lives when they are confronted with reality.  Chances are Shaquille O'Neal will never be the jockey of a winning Kentucky Derby winner and Willie Shoemaker would never be an NBA superstar no matter how hard they tried. 

Granted those are extreme examples but the point is the average person cannot perform at a professionals level by practice alone, no matter how high in quality the practice is.  If nothing else, Dan has proven this, given his poor to average athleticism/genetics has limited his progress due to injury only halfway through his journey. 

I actually think those examples are perfectly valid and sensible. You are borne with a certain potential, you may not know what your potential is in a certain field but it's there. You can train and practice to reach that potential but you will never get beyond it. You can't, it's your potential, your talent ceiling.

I actually don't think it would be a better world if we all had the same talent, if every sprinter crossed the line together, all golf tournaments just came down to pure luck and anyone could be a brain surgeon. I think the world would be a pretty dull place.

Pete Iveson

It's not a worldwide phenomenon, it's only in the early 2000s that we started doing this in the United States.

In China, for instance, there is no such thing as "You can do anything if you work hard at it". The actual philosophy is "If you have the talent, you better work your ass off because there will be hundreds of thousands of others with more natural talent competing for the same prize as you."

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

It's not a worldwide phenomenon, it's only in the early 2000s that we started doing this in the United States.

In China, for instance, there is no such thing as "You can do anything if you work hard at it". The actual philosophy is "If you have the talent, you better work your ass off because there will be hundreds of thousands of others with more natural talent competing for the same prize as you."

I prefer that mentality over the participation trophy crowd.  We should strive to be the best we can be but understand that our best may not be as good as others due to factors outside of our control. 

Joe Paradiso

I prefer that mentality over the participation trophy crowd.  We should strive to be the best we can be but understand that our best may not be as good as others due to factors outside of our control. 

Sure, that's reality, and the wider the field of participants the higher is the possibility of failure. The thing that we should all learn from this is to be a better loser. It means working your hardest to compete, and expecting to lose while being pleasantly surprised you got as far as you did.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yes, agree. Also that there may come a time when you should find something else to put your effort and time into. Not saying he needs to quit golf, but use his time to better utilize his skills on something else. He seems to have a talent for photography and creativity. Much better than many people I know, he'd be better served improving that skill.

Michael

Chances are Shaquille O'Neal will never be the jockey of a winning Kentucky Derby winner

:beer:

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

So is Dan going to talk about that you shouldn't take up putting for 7 months?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Interesting article. Not sure I agree with it all either, particularly the bit you've pointed out. Saying it's all down to purposeful practice, that 'talent' accounts for nothing is way wide of the mark IMO. The most obvious example has to be driving distance.

Let's say that your physicality only allows you to drive the ball 240 yards. No matter how much effort you put in you don't possess the natural strength to get the ball past this point. You won't compete at PGA tour level no matter what your skills are in other areas of the game. At the point at which not only is every par 5 on tour out of reach in 2 shots but so are many of the par 4s you will not be able to compete at this level on those courses. A certain distance off the tee is a 'requirement' to play at that level and if you don't have the talent, you're not borne with the physical attributes to be able to do it, then you will never be able to play at that level.

The driving distance thing might be overcome if you are a freakish outlier in consistency, accuracy, and short game ... moreso than even the guys at the bottom of the driving distance stats who manage to get on tour. I'm thinking of a Paul Runyan type of player. But I agree you would be starting with one arm tied behind your back and any mistakes would be very costly.

As a comparison, what do folks think of the new viral sensation, Paige Spirinac? She seems to be aiding her quest to find her golf potential with some savvy personal marketing that doesn't quite relate to her golf skills. Is that wrong? What if she had done this picking up the game later in life, without having competed at the college level first? Would you view her media efforts differently?

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Get over yourself Shorty. I know Dan personally, and have for many years, before he started TheDanPlan. It was never about making money.

What is it about then? It is clearly about publicity. The "theory" he is trying to prove is widely derided and disregarded.

It isn't about golf, because he ignores anything and anyone who suggests worthwhile things to try, yet he has massive links to all of the dubious "press" he has garnered.

He doesn't post realistic information about his progress, and has fallen off the planet over the last couple of months.

The only breakthroughs he has made in three years relate to warm fuzzies about playing in company and trying to be positive despite no progress beyond what a fit person who started at the same time he did would have made by playing three times a week.

If you (a +4 handicapper) knew him before he started why did you not get him to set a realistic target rather than something that is clearly unattainable for anyone with his limited athleticism and coordination?

He got people offside with his very clearly stated goal to play on the PGATour.

And - as a +4 handicapper, why did you not do something about the pathetic advice and instruction he was getting form the beginning?

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The driving distance thing might be overcome if you are a freakish outlier in consistency, accuracy, and short game ... moreso than even the guys at the bottom of the driving distance stats who manage to get on tour. I'm thinking of a Paul Runyan type of player. But I agree you would be starting with one arm tied behind your back and any mistakes would be very costly.

As a comparison, what do folks think of the new viral sensation, Paige Spirinac? She seems to be aiding her quest to find her golf potential with some savvy personal marketing that doesn't quite relate to her golf skills. Is that wrong? What if she had done this picking up the game later in life, without having competed at the college level first? Would you view her media efforts differently?

"Freakish" is the right term. Paul Runyan was a while ago and the tour setups have changed considerably since then. Were he around today, driving the ball as he did and playing on the setups they have today Paul Runyan would not be able to compete, no one currently playing the game could. What you are talking is for someone to be as accurate with their wedges from 50 or 60 yards out as exeryone else is with their putter from 25 feet. I hate using the word impossible as someone always pitches up that proves it wrong but let's just say it would be so improbable that it's not worth contemplating what the possibility is. On a 7,200 plus yard course you've got to get the ball out there to compete.

Regarding miss Spirinac she's selling something guys want to buy (golfers and non-golfers) and she's actually doing it quite successfully. She's a natural athlete who played the game from a relatively early age right up through college. You could argue that she's doing nothing that some of the girls on the LPGA do ie use sex appeal to gain media exposure, whether that will help her as she needs the sponsorship I'm pretty sure she's already got or at least got lined up or just be a distraction remains to be seen. It probably depends if the media attention is a tool she's using to get to where she wants to go golfing wise or if the media is in fact the end goal and the golf is the the means to get the media attention.

What @Shorty seems to be saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that with Dan it's the latter. I'm not sure if I agree but Dan has repeatedly stated that it's not about the golf it's about discovering his potential in a new field. Not sure I could spend maybe 7 years playing golf if it's not about the golf so I think that although that may have been the case early on it probably isn't any more.

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

What @Shorty seems to be saying (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is that with Dan it's the latter. I'm not sure if I agree but Dan has repeatedly stated that it's not about the golf it's about discovering his potential in a new field. Not sure I could spend maybe 7 years playing golf if it's not about the golf so I think that although that may have been the case early on it probably isn't any more.

From Golfaid.com:

The Dan Plan started on April 5th, 2010, when Dan quit his day job as a commercial photographer and started dedicating over 30 hours a week with the hopes of reaching 10,000 hours practiced by November of 2015. During this time, Dan plans to develop his skills through deliberate practice, eventually winning amateur events and obtaining his PGA Tour card through a successful appearance in the PGA Tour’s Qualifying School.

Be under no illusions about what this guy's ambition was.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

@Shorty is right on target regarding Dan's intentions. Everything Dan is doing seems to point towards being "showy". My personal feeling is it would be great if he didn't give up so easily, and at least add to his blog that he got as far as he could that his talent allows. The fact that he doesn't do so makes me feel like he's not in it for the project's sake?

@pullfade might have known him for some years and possibly encouraged him to try this, but it seems like Dan should have gone long game first and should have been told to do that first. Even without Brodie's research it was pretty obvious to me and many other golfers that you need to get good with driver first. It's the first club you use on most par 4 and 5. The longer and straighter you are off the tee, the easier the rest of the hole. It makes no sense that a bunch of talented golfers would allow him to start off putting for 7 months. Putting just doesn't take 7 months to learn. Chipping doesn't take that long to learn either if you have decent full swing mechanics. In fact, if your full swing mechanics changes you will most likely change your pitching and chipping stroke accordingly. No matter what, starting off putting and chipping/pitching for 2 years is stupid. Anyone who knows him and is reasonably skilled should know to tell him to work on his long game first.

FYI, I started about the same time as him, and as of a year ago my on course driving was longer and as of 4 weeks ago is straighter than Dan's based upon his Trackman combine results. Took me 3 years just to get a 1.75 out of 5 swing to do it, and it might have taken Dan only 1-2 years if he worked on it properly?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2403 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!