IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While Dan was impressed with how the pros hit their long irons, he made it sound like "something to work on" not realizing that it takes talent to be able to do that. If he was able to hit a 3i with a 100+ mph swing, I would say it's something to "work on", but as it is he lacks the talent to be able to do so.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Retweeting the crap that other people ask him to retweet is not really evidence of anything other than his desire to become a media personality.

You mean an appearance he is making to talk about his program?  

And I was merely pointing out that he has had activity since August...  

While Dan was impressed with how the pros hit their long irons, he made it sound like "something to work on" not realizing that it takes talent to be able to do that. If he was able to hit a 3i with a 100+ mph swing, I would say it's something to "work on", but as it is he lacks the talent to be able to do so.

Not sure I get your stance here.

If he is working on that, isn't that building talent?  Not all talent is given at birth...

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

If he is working on that, isn't that building talent?  Not all talent is given at birth...

I doubt he has the talent to carry a consistent and towering 3i 230 yards. Very few people can. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hate to contradict you there but it is actually - that's what talent means. You can't build talent, you can only realise the talent you have. In my previous life as an air traffic control officer we tested for aptitude (or talent) prior to people being selected. Your brain has to work in a particular way to be able to do the job and most people simply can't do it no matter how much training you put them through. It's a talent ie a natural ability given at birth. 

What's debateable is whether being able to strike a golf ball on a par with the pros is actually a talent. I think it takes a certain level of natural coordination so probably is to a degree.

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

It's a talent.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

What he's doing is odd. He's not contributing to his blog, but letting comments post, He's not answering the comments or acknowledging anyone on social media but he's talking to the media. The activity that is out there requires very little effort, one way and just rehashing of old material.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

(edited)

I'm pretty sure that's an old page. Dan's website lists him at over 4,000 hours into his plan, not 2,000 like the most recent video there.

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 2.41.03 PM.png

https://instagram.com/p/8weh_0jW5c/

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 2.41.03 PM.png

I agree that's an old post. The year simply isn't listed, @nevets88.

The video (https://vimeo.com/30326812) is from four years ago.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

What he's doing is odd. He's not contributing to his blog, but letting comments post, He's not answering the comments or acknowledging anyone on social media but he's talking to the media. The activity that is out there requires very little effort, one way and just rehashing of old material.

I think his communication has been aimed at the media rather than individual followers or those interested in the Plan for quite some time. His call but I think I'd do it the other way round - engage with followers on the blog etc first and foremost. We've spoken about it before, I think the media side is a distraction he could do without, he disagrees. 

Pete Iveson

(edited)

I agree that's an old post. The year simply isn't listed, @nevets88.

The video (https://vimeo.com/30326812) is from four years ago.

Maybe you're right. I'm confused. I'm following it not for the golf now, but just as a strange curiosity.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

I'm pretty sure that's an old page. Dan's website lists him at over 4,000 hours into his plan, not 2,000 like the most recent video there.

I think the clock ticks down - he's almost 6,000 hours in. At least I think so.....

(sorry for no multi quote, can't seem to go back and do it)

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

Hate to contradict you there but it is actually - that's what talent means. You can't build talent, you can only realise the talent you have. In my previous life as an air traffic control officer we tested for aptitude (or talent) prior to people being selected. Your brain has to work in a particular way to be able to do the job and most people simply can't do it no matter how much training you put them through. It's a talent ie a natural ability given at birth. 

What's debateable is whether being able to strike a golf ball on a par with the pros is actually a talent. I think it takes a certain level of natural coordination so probably is to a degree.

Sorry, I should have said learned skill.   

Tony  

:titleist:    |   :tmade:   |     :cleveland: 

Sorry, I should have said learned skill.   

No probs :-)

I just think you hit the nail on the head - where does talent come into golf played at the highest level? Is it a skill that can be learned or is it a talent? At the end of the day that's what The Dan Plan is all about, isn't it? I mean everyone accepts that other sporting pursuits require talent - I could never be an Olympic sprinter no matter how hard I trained for example - but some feel golf can be mastered through hard work alone. My personal opinion is that there are too many aspects of golf that require talent for the game to be 'mastered' to an elite level without some measure of natural ability. If you possess below average strength, balance and coordination I think you will struggle. The flip side is if you are above average in these areas and 'train smart' I think you can probably go further than many people think.

Pete Iveson

No probs :-)

I just think you hit the nail on the head - where does talent come into golf played at the highest level? Is it a skill that can be learned or is it a talent? At the end of the day that's what The Dan Plan is all about, isn't it? I mean everyone accepts that other sporting pursuits require talent - I could never be an Olympic sprinter no matter how hard I trained for example - but some feel golf can be mastered through hard work alone. My personal opinion is that there are too many aspects of golf that require talent for the game to be 'mastered' to an elite level without some measure of natural ability. If you possess below average strength, balance and coordination I think you will struggle. The flip side is if you are above average in these areas and 'train smart' I think you can probably go further than many people think.

The same examples that you give for Olympic sprinters applies somewhat to golf. For example, there are plenty of people who can hit reasonably far, plenty of people who can hit their irons within 30 feet from 180 yards, plenty of people who can make 29 putts per round or better and plenty of people who can chip really well as well.

Put all those skills together into one person and you have a very rare individual. The reason people think golf is so much easier than running a 10 second 100m dash is because many people can do individual parts of what a pro can do. It's tempting to say, "If I only could putt?", or "Once I get my approach shots. . ."

Another thing is the pros are not casting the club to get 105-110 mph swing speeds, they are using a highly optimized and mechanically sound swing to get an average SS of 113mph. Some swing faster and very few swing that much slower.

The average scores for the PGA tour range from 69 to 72 on courses with ratings like 76/150 to 78/150. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.120.html. Web.com averages 68 to 73 on slightly easier courses. http://www.pgatour.com/webcom/stats/stat.108.html.

This is approximately as little as 63 on a standard rated course 72/125 (average course is 72/113). My guess is that the course layouts are so much easier for the pros that they could score even lower on our courses and setups.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I find it interesting to watch a snippet of that video posted above, apparently 2,000 hours into his journey.  At that point he still looks uncomfortable with his putting stance and stroke.  Having started with months of putting only, under the eye of a top pro, you'd think he'd look athletic and natural while putting.  The fact he doesn't just shows an innate lack of talent for golf. 

Edited by tdiii

The average scores for the PGA tour range from 69 to 72 on courses with ratings like 76/150 to 78/150. http://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.120.html. Web.com averages 68 to 73 on slightly easier courses. http://www.pgatour.com/webcom/stats/stat.108.html.

This is approximately as little as 63 on a standard rated course 72/125 (average course is 72/113). My guess is that the course layouts are so much easier for the pros that they could score even lower on our courses and setups.

I think the PGA course rating you quote could be overstated. I came up with an average of 75 / 140 - still extremely tough. I could see actual tournament setups (non-major) increasing the base course difficulty with an extra point on course rating and 5 on slope. Major setups are probably like 79-80 / 150-155.

The 'field' would probably average about 68 on a 'typical course' of about 6500 yards rated at 72 / 120. 113 Slope is used in the HCP calculation, but it's more of a mathematical construction and actually lower than the average / typical course slope.

This is slightly off topic, but. . .

Hidden Content

So without a clarification / confirmation of details on your part, I will say that it looks like you actually practiced more in your early golf than even Dan.

Not sure this is even possible with a full-time job and a family, but if so and you had no prior golf experience your HCP progression was actually a bit behind Dan at his 3,000 hours mark.

He's done better and been more serious than you think.

If you care to respond to my questions then I can show you how you compare.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

I think the PGA course rating you quote could be overstated. I came up with an average of 75 / 140 - still extremely tough. I could see actual tournament setups (non-major) increasing the base course difficulty with an extra point on course rating and 5 on slope. Major setups are probably like 79-80 / 150-155.

The 'field' would probably average about 68 on a 'typical course' of about 6500 yards rated at 72 / 120. 113 Slope is used in the HCP calculation, but it's more of a mathematical construction and actually lower than the average / typical course slope.

Interesting info. From our previous conversations I take it CR 75.0 as an average is calculated? 

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

Note: This thread is 2398 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!