IGNORED

Does anyone have advice on where to play in Maui?

sinatra
Note: This thread is 5185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It all depends on where you are staying.
The top place would be the Plantation course in Kapalua. That is where they start the PGA season and play the Mercedes Open next week.
Kapalua also has the Bay course, which I think is an awesome track.
Wailea on the other side of the island in the Kihei area is also beautiful.

As Paulk says, depends on where you're planning on staying. North island, either Kapalua course is a treat; south of the airport, go to Wailea. As a 12hc the Gold course will probably give a challenge while the Blue might be more 'comfortable'... I'd definitely skip the Kannapali courses, imho, they are overpriced and overplayed. I haven't played Mekena (sp?) but heard some favorable comments from locals while I was there in '02.

Currently Playing:
Driver: Custom Bang-O-Matic 460 9*, GD YS6+ Stiff
3Wood: Firesole
Hybrid: Rescue 17*
3 - PW: MX-23Wedges: Vokey: SM60.08 (OC), SM56.10 (OC), 252.08 (TC)Putter: Cameron Circa'62 No.2Ball: HXTourHome Course: MacGregor Downs CC, Cary, NC

Makena is a very nice course also and still in the upscale price range of the 3 we have mentioned. I agree on Kaanapali. It has taken a drop since the champions tour no longer plays there.

• 3 years later...
Got to play a few of the inland courses, none of the resort courses. Nothing fancy.

Played
The Dunes
Pukalani Country Club
Kahili Golf Club

I did learn a lot for my next trip however.

Here's a good resource to start.Everything you need to know is pretty much there.
Guys at the shop are very helpful.

http://www.golf-maui.com/

This is a small golf shop that rents and sells clubs and also offers discounts on green fess
at all the Maui area courses.

If you don't want to drag you clubs to Maui,this would be a place to go.
Rental set are about $25-50 day with discounts for multiple days.
Probably cheaper than renting at the golf course. Near the airport too.
All the green fee rates on linked from that site.

Where to play -

The resort courses are all very nice, high end courses and are on everyone's bucket list
The resorts are along the coast and have great views from the course.

The wind is also a factor, of course. The locals say to play before 11 AM when the the wind starts
to pick up.

The 2 courses on Lanai look amazing. I would suggest taking the ferry over and make a whole day of
it playing 36. One is an ocean side course with great views similar to Pebble Beach. The other is inland is set in
an are of a lot of elevation change. One of the holes has about a 200 foot drop from Tee to green.

I liked Pukalani Country Club. It is probably where a lot of the locals play. It has some nice views
from the course at about 1000 feet up Haleakala. And it is very inexpensive to play there.

Waiehu Municipal has probably some of the nicest views of any muni and is cheap to play,
but the pace is slow. Expect 5-6 hr rounds at times.

Here's a list of all the courses

WEST MAUI
Kaanapali North Course / South Course

Kapalua Bay / Plantation

SOUTH MAUI
Elleair Golf Club
Makena North/South
Wailea Blue/ Emerald / Gold

CENTRAL MAUI
Dunes at Maui Lani
Maui Country Club
Waiehu Municipal

LANAI
The Challenge
The Experience

Driver: X460 tour- 9.5*
3-wood: 3+ - 13*
Hybrid: BB HW 20*
Hybrid: 24*
Irons: X-20 Uniflex SteelWedges: Colonial 56* & 60*Putter: XG SabertoothBall: GPS-8âIf you are caught on a golf course during a storm and are afraid of lightning, hold up a 1-iron. Not even God...

Driver: Titleist 907D2 9.5 Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Pro Black 18*
Irons: Mizuno MP60 (4-PW)
Wedges: Vokey SM 50/54/58/62
Putter: Yes! CallieBall: TM PentaHome course: DeBell Golf Club http://www.debellgolf.com/

Note: This thread is 5185 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!