IGNORED

What do you think about the new Sumo Driver?

paulk
Note:Β This thread is 6280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

1. 1. What do you think of the Sumo Driver?

• Weird, I would never hit it
    • Interesting, I may give it a try
    • Fascinating, I will compare to my current club
    • Awesome, I have to get one

A friend of mine put together a knockoff of the new Nike Sumo driver.
I hit 4 balls with it and they were all straight and long.
It has an interesting setup to it and may just be the best new design creation for this year!
What do you think?

I think it looks really strange, but if you had showed me a 460cc driver 10 years ago I would have told you no way. If I try one and I hit it good you never know.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I thought it looked pretty strange the first time I saw it. But from what I have heard so far, it actually sounds like it works pretty well.

I'll probably warm up to it eventually. Its still a little "out there" for me.
In The Bag

Sumo 13* w/aldila NVS stiff
BB 2004 3wood
Boxer 3,4&5 Hybrids A3 6-Pw CG11 52* & 56* 2 Ball Srt 33"Ball Nxt Extreme

How are those clones compare to the real thing? And what exactly did your friend get? (looking for brand name and model)

R580 XD 9.5* Driver
V Steel 3, 5, 7 Wood
LCG Burner Iron
White Hot XG Rossie Putter
Aerolite bag Double C Distance balls

I'll have to check with him but I think it may have been something like SG2 (or SV2) model. I know he had an Aldila stiff shaft in it that was nice.
I never did hit the "real" thing but I know so many of these clubs are all the same but just have different logos on them.

if it works, tour players will start putting them in their bags. average golfers tend to look at what pros are playing to gauge what they should be playing. as long as tour players use it (and it seems like tour players will use whatever that works), the masses will follow.

: Callaway FT-3 w/ UST V2 67S
: Callaway X 15* w/ Fujikura Vista Pro 70S
: Callaway Big Bertha Fusions 3-AW w/ Nippon NSPro 990GH Uniflex
: Callaway 56* & 60* w/ DGS300
: Odyssey White Hot XG #3: Titleist Pro V1

it's a great club for sure... Very easy to hit long and straight drives. For anyone that needs better accuracy/control (most if not all golfers), it's a fantastic driver!

My only complaint from when I tried it a few months ago was that it was obnoxiously loud (i was right in the middle of a 70 bay range and the person at the last stall, stopped hitting to see where all the noise was coming from. It's considerably louder than any driver i've ever hit...and I've hit just about every driver out there.

The top of the head was paper thin...felt as if I could cave in the top of the head with my thumb. For those that might occasionally sky the ball, you will easily dent the top of the head. I've seen some really nasty dents on the tops of many driver heads and unfortunately, the manufacturer will not cover the damage under warranty.

Aside from that... I believe the FTi and Sumo2 will be a huge success. I already have a wait list for both drivers...so the press is obviously doing a good job marketing the debut of the driver.

After hitting it, those that have issues with the shape of the head will not even think twice about it.

novogolf.com

I have hit and seen the Driver and it does have a loud sound to it. You will see more come out from other manufactures as well Callaway as one coming out and I know Taylor Made will probably have one coming out in the next few months.

Martin

crazy and ugly but who knows? maybe the best driver of golf history ever?!
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

if it works, tour players will start putting them in their bags. average golfers tend to look at what pros are playing to gauge what they should be playing. as long as tour players use it (and it seems like tour players will use whatever that works), the masses will follow.

Sad but true, that said i stay away from some brands of equipment aswell, Nike and Callaway being a couple.. simply because I hate nikes approach to golf by using athletes from other sports to endorse their products.. and im not much of a Tiger fan either. Id try it, just to see what its like.

On the other hand no tour players play the bridgestone drivers, accept Fred couples just put one in his bag, and stuart appelby uses a j33p. The 460cc j33r is the best looking, performing, sounding and feeling driver i have ever hit, yet it's probably the most unused high end driver on tour. Just because tour players dont use it doesnt mean its not just as good as anything out there.

: 905R 9.5*
904f 15*
Baffler DWS 20*
eye 2
spin milled 54*, Vokey 58* White Hot XG #9 Pro V1x

That's going to be the new style with alot of companies this year. I have a friend who swears buy it says it makes the ball go very straight. If you pull or push it it won't come back as much though.

• 3 weeks later...
i will have one on the 5 of feb, i was also lucky enough to try one and i loved it, maybe i took to it better as i use a nike sq already! but i just love this driver,

2006 Taylite Stand Bag
r7 460 Driver
halo #2
RAC OS steel
Vokey Oil Spin Milled Wedge lambeau 7favorit club! my trusty 3 iron

Great Thread, because I am intersted in it. I am not too much into knock-offs, but I am sure not going to spend $500 on a Driver either. I will probably end up building a knock off of this one because of that.
Actually, on that note, are there any shaft suggestions out there?
I carry the ball roughly 260 and my swing speed is around 110, at least the last time i checked. I am a fan of the Graffaloy Blue, but if I am going to build a club, I want to try something different. I prefer a lighter shaft with at most a low or medium kick point.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

Can't wait to give'em a try. Always looking for game improvement.

In the bag:
Driver: Taylor Made 09' Burner 9.5*
Woods: Nicklaus 18* Hybrid
Cobra DWS Baffler Hybrid 20*
Irons: Mizuno MX-200 4-Gw Project x 5.5Wedge: Cleveland Black Pearl CG14 54* & 58*Putter: Scotty Cameron TEI 3 Newport 2Balls: Prov1x

It's an excellent concept, but I'm not goin to the bank to take out a loan just yet! Think I'll stick with my R7 for a while!

Ryan
ogio.gifΒ Vision SS Bag:
cleveland.gifΒ Launcher DST 10.5*Β  taylormade.gifΒ R9 16.5* 4W
taylormade.gifΒ Rescue Dual 19*Β  taylormade.gifΒ Burner 2.0 4-PW
vokey.gifΒ 250.08, Spin Milled 54.10, and 58.08
yesgolf.gifΒ CallieΒ  bridgestone.gifΒ B330

The Sumo2 is retailing at $399 which these days is not outrageous. Consider that taylormade's premium driver goes for a cool $800. I have seen this driver but have not hit it. I know the rep and a couple of pros on staff with Nike and they all say its almost like cheating. I did not necessarily like the look but I trust the guys who say it is unbelievable so I will definately give it a try.

DannyΒ  Β  In my :ping:Β Hoofer Tour golf bag on myΒ :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:Β Β Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5Β  X-Stiff.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β Β Irons:Β Β :callaway:Β 4-PW APEX TCB IronsΒ 
3Β Wood:Β :callaway:Β MavrikΒ SZ RogueΒ X-StiffΒ  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β Β 2-Ball Ten Arm LockΒ  Β  Β  Β Β Ball:Β :titleist: ProV 1

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note:Β This thread is 6280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!