IGNORED

Debunked Theories

allin
Note: This thread is 6209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is golf swing theory still evolving?

• No there is really nothing new
    • Theory changes in reoponse to equipment advances
    • Each generation has a model, Jones, Hogan, Nicklaus,Tiger
    • Bio mechanical research will find ways to improve the swing

What swing models taught today are most likely to be seen as outdated even ridiculous in 20 years? The same judgement could be applied to short game and putting methods as well.

What swing methods common in the past 20 or more years are now outdated.

What swing methods which were once common but later lost popularity are likely to come back, maybe in an updated form?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I would think with the success of Jim Furyk last year that he has proven the golf swing can be unique and still work. The primary theory of keeping the club square to your target 12 inches behind the ball and 12 inches in front of the ball still applies.

What will remain the same is the importance of grip, alignment, ball position, shot routine, and making an aggressive committed swing, get these factors right and a lot of different swings will work well.

The swing has to be one that doesn't cause back injury, there are various types of swings which can work really well but are too stressful on parts of the back, some people may be able to get away with it for awhile. I believe that allowing for more mobility in the feet especially the back foot may be part of a new swing ideology, right now it seems as if the feet are too planted.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

What will remain the same is the importance of grip, alignment, ball position, shot routine, and making an aggressive committed swing, get these factors right and a lot of different swings will work well.

Does the current emphasis on body rotation and a big x factor put more stress on the knees and hips?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Does the current emphasis on body rotation and a big x factor put more stress on the knees and hips?

Most likely YES, it's OK when you are young but try this when you are older and you can feel it in the hips joints and knees. It is built for max. power but may not be good for older golfers. That is why there needs to be more mobility in the lower body so that not too much torque is placed on the knees and hips.

Very good observation allin, thank you!

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

I believe that modern golf is evolving very fast due to technological advance.
Golfers (sorry, I should say Players) are becoming bigger, stronger, and longer. Technically, they do not have the best looking swing ever, but a very repetitive, strong movement. (i.e. Bubba Watson, JB Holmes, etc. etc.)
In My Bag:
Driver:
Nike SasQuatch 460 9.5 deg - Fujikura Prototype X
3 Wood:
Orlimar Trimetal Plus 14 deg - Fujikura Prototype XIrons: Titleist 735CM (3-PW) - TT DG 300SWedges: Titleist Vokey 50 & 54 & 60Putter: Scotty Cameron Laguna Oil Can - Custom Shop Restored to Pro...

• 2 weeks later...
I would think with the success of Jim Furyk last year that he has proven the golf swing can be unique and still work. The primary theory of keeping the club square to your target 12 inches behind the ball and 12 inches in front of the ball still applies.

I agree that unique swings can produce good results. I think that second statement is incorrect. The clubface travels on an arc, and by definition is in constant rotation from open to closed relative to the target line. There is no keeping is square. That would defy the laws of physics.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

That is certainly open for debate, however, the laws of physics should not apply here. This guy Dalton McCrary teaches a swing that utilizes "The 40 Inch Zone of Squareness". Perhaps you should check it out:
http://www.mccrarygolf.com/straight_shootin_golf.htm

I have found Furyks swing to be the closest to his teachings.
Just to note: I have watched his tapes but have not had a chance to try it yet because we have way too much snow on the ground here in New Mexico.

I have watched his tapes but have not had a chance to try it yet because we have way too much snow on the ground here in New Mexico.

OFF TOPIC: Socorro and Belen are both open played there this week.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That is certainly open for debate, however, the laws of physics should not apply here. This guy Dalton McCrary teaches a swing that utilizes "The 40 Inch Zone of Squareness". Perhaps you should check it out:

We've got snow up here in Seattle as well. It's a drag - I wanted to play this weekend.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

Fundamentals have not changed too much. Different wqays to apply the fundamentals have a little. The only fact to golf is that no matter how good you are, there is always something you can do to improve your game and/or your swing. Tiger changes his swing at least every 3 months...it is just in small variances. That is why I am drawn to golf...it is a great sport where no matter your age, you never can be perfect. You may lose strength and control, but anyone who can hit at what they aim at and carry the ball 150 yds has what it takes to shoot low.

John

IN THE BAG

Driver - 905T / 8.5 / Speeder Stiff3 Wood - G5 / 13 degree / Stock X-StiffIrons - G5 / 4-PW / Stock Stiff Wedges - Vokey / 252.08, 256.14, 260.08Putter - Old School B60Ball - Pro-V1

I agree that fundamentals are the most important thing; however I believe that there is a greater understanding of what the fundamentals should be for each individual player by instructors and biomechanical experts. A 6’3”, 180 lb player is going to have different physical aspects to his golf swing when compared to someone who is 5’6” 220 lbs. Can they both play at the same level? Certainly, but the shorter player is probably going to utilize a different grip and ball position from the taller player.

In the bag

Driver 905R, 9.5 Aldila NV65S
3 Wood 960 F2, 13.0 Aldila NV65S
5 Wood 975F, 18.5 Proforce 65SHybrid 503H, 22 deg. DG â S3004 â PW 735 CM, DG â S300SW Volkey 256.10, DG â S300LW Volkey 260.4, DG â S300Putter Scotty Cameron Studio Design 5 Ball Pro-V1x or Pro-V1...

• 3 months later...

revive old thread...... I have DMs tapes and yes, they work... and work well. I would sayfor them to have the most effect, you'd have to re-learn the swing,his way. it DOES work.

In my opinion, changes in swing concepts lend themselves to helping people build REPEATABLE swings. That's why we don't use "Happy Gilmore" swings on the first tee...of course you'll tag one out of ten 325 yards, but are the other nine that you blast in the woods worth it?

I agree with Ben Hogan...it's all about building a REPEATABLE swing that performs under pressure. I think the modern swing thoughts try to eliminate unnecessary moves to encourage more consistent ball striking.

In my bag...
DRIVER: TaylorMade R5, 9.5
HYBRID: Halo 2i
IRONS: FTX
WEDGES: 52, 56, Izett 60PUTTER: Cameron Circa 62 #3

Note: This thread is 6209 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!