IGNORED

New Cleveland Drivers?

HusekC95
Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

OK so the course that I work at recently had a Demo day with all the major brands, including Cleveland, which I was interested in. I currently play an R9 10.5 degree which is beginning to launch too high for me as I become a better player. The demo's were all inside on the simulators due to the rain, so when I tried clubs it wasn't exactly the feedback I wanted. I hit the Cleveland 270, 290, and 310 and was really smacking the 310 farther than the rest, and farther than my R9. I know almost everything in golf is what feels right to you, but my R9 is a 460 head and so are the 270 and 290 drivers, however the 310 is a 440. The Cleveland Rep told me it was to keep the playing field equal between the 3 clubs because the 270 and 290 were lighter and longer and the 310 was shorter and heavier; therefore they changed the head size. I was hitting it well, but is it going to make a difference having a smaller head?

Has anybody had the opportunity to hit these clubs? If so what was your expirience and how do they compare to the other top competing clubs such as the R11?

I'm also looking into getting the CG16 Black Pearl Irons which I love for how light they are. What are your thoughts on those?

Thanks,

Cody

Always take your current driver with you so you can compare.  I have saved myself a lot of $$$ that way over the years.  Having said that, I have finally replaced my Burner 09 (broke the shaft and the replacement shaft did not work as well) with a Cleveland Ultralite 270 draw after comparing it with 4 other drivers on the Golf Digest Hot List (Gold).  I was concerned about the 46 1/2" shaft, but using face markers, I am hitting it in the center zone.  I chose the XL 270 to increase my swingspeed by about 3 mph to 85 mph ss.  I am 68 and it has slowed down.  I really like this club.  It is straight and long.  However, if you have a much faster swingspeed you might like one of the heaver swingweight drivers.

The larger head really only helps on poorly  hit shots.  If you are improving then the smaller head may actually be  better for you.  Nothing is absolute but many better players feel a smaller club head makes it easier to work the ball.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I had a chance to hit all of them and I really enjoyed hitting the 310. If I didn't play my current driver with the RIP alpha shaft cut to 44.25in. I would be hitting the Cleveland. My numbers were almost similar and the ball flight was great. I really liked the feel and sound of the 310 also and I prefer a smaller head driver to begin with and it really fit my eyes. If you really like the driver, I say go for it.

I did get to demo the CG 16 Tour irons and I might switch to them next season, I may ask for some money for Christmas and my birthday. They felt amazing, similar to a forged club but not as soft as a Mizuno or Miura, etc.. The look was really nice and I had nothing but great things to tell the reps there at demo day.

BTW, IMHO Cleveland has won brand of the year. They're woods, irons, wedges, putters even, all great...

- VR Pro LTD - 9.5 Ahina X

- VR_S 3, 5 woods - Fubuki X

- VR Pro Combo - 3-Pw S300's
nike.gif - VR VRev Wedges - 52, 58 

- Method 001 - 34in.

- 20XI-S

- 20XI Staff Bag

A few weeks ago I was searching for a new driver, I had no specific brand in mind and wanted to try a number of different options. I tested the following all on a simulator in no particular order, not the ideal way to demo clubs but outdoor testing facilities were not available, I did also take my current driver with me as a comparison:

Callaway Diablo Octane

Callaway Razr Hawk

Titleist 910D2 and D3

TM R11

TM Burner SuperFast 2.0

Ping G15 and K15

Nike VR Pro and Machspeed Black

Mizuno JPX 800

Cleveland XL270, SL290, TL310

I spent more than 2 hours on a weekday morning hitting these, the store was not busy otherwise I would have limited my time, the sales associate had no issues with me going through this long process, he was very helpful!!

Some of these drivers just did not have the right feel for me, I eliminated a few of them quickly, and after much trial and error it came down to 2 from the list: VR Pro and the SL290. I hit many shots with both of these with the SL290 winning out. I thought the lighter could be an issue but the ball flight, distance and dispersion were more consistent with the Cleveland SL290. I have used the driver on the range with similar results, my ballflight is mid high (normal for me) with a very slight draw, distance is very good, hard to say if this driver is much longer than my previous driver but I am happy with the results to date.

• 7 months later...

cleveland SL290 is amazing. I am a believer in shafts. about 6 months back i bought mizuno mp630 with fubuki shaft in stiff. the face angle is wee bit open and the shaft tip very very firm, so my gentle fades were turning into slices. gave it away to a friend. next i bought nike machspeed black again a fubuki but a 50 gram good club very light, was hitting it perfect was not getting any roll plus the temptation to fiddle with str8 fit drove me nuts, sold it. then after my love affair with fubuki shafts i read about project x shafts and ended up buying diablo octane tour 8.5 stiff, bad mistake the shaft in tour model is 70 grams. just didnt feel right . and remember i bought these without hitting demos coz in india golf aint big and u just buy whatever is in your local proshop or order online from tgw. anyway exchanged the diablo for cleveland SL290. the Miyazaki c kua is the real thing and not the watered down version as in other clubs. it freakin loads so well and hits the ball a mile. played my first round and hit 12 fairways and the other 2 were in first cut. shot 73 on par 72 course. Buy this.............. its orgasmic. cheers

• 3 weeks later...

How about this sexy thing? I think it's the bee's knees!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'd have to disagree. It may be a good driver, but I think its hideous.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I really like that driver. I've considered several Cleveland drivers on ebay trying to fill out my Cleveland fanboy setup, but can't bring myself bid high enough for any of them. I have decent drivers (not Cleveland), and I still occasionally use persimmon (including but not exclusively Cleveland Classics), so I'm not sure whether I'd buy this one, but I get it. It's an homage to both persimmon and to Cleveland's roots producing replicas of classic players gear. I hope it's a home run, but if it's not, I'll keep an eye out on ebay.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Quote:
I'm also looking into getting the CG16 Black Pearl Irons which I love for how light they are. What are your thoughts on those?

IIRC, the black pearl irons are lofted very aggressively in the lower irons, with a 27* 6 iron.  By contrast, my callaways have a 27* 5 iron.  So, make sure before you get too impressed with the distance you are comparing apples and apples (i.e. if you have a 30* 6 iron, you're going to go shorter than the cg16s).  My buddy plays them and loves them, but just something to keep in mind.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on this website about this driver but i had to see if anybody else was as interested as i was. I dont know why i cant seem to post a picture i keep getting errors but in short its a smaller more traditional shape driver with what cleveland claims has the "largest faced driver they have had to date"....its finished in a mahogany like paint finish and have a brass face-like insert looking face much like the cobra long tom driver....actually its almost identical. it has classic letter and numbering on the club as well as the leather headcover with a "1" on top. even the box it comes in from shipment itself is round and almost wooden like from way back in the persimmon days.

there are a few models i think...but so far all i can find is the 290 model which stands for the weight of the club in grams much like the rest of the cleveland driver lineup. so far i cant find anything saying this will be a limited production driver much like the cobra zl white or the long tom raw. a website i recently visited called "*********" has a video review just showing around the clubs looks and numbers as well as the shaft which is by miyazaki. and from golf.com its saying to be priced at 299 which seems very enticing. amazingly all this traditional "rustique" type look isnt JUST looks. this driver has all the makings of the new age cleveland drivers as well.

"*********" also had a video of right next to the ball being tee'd off. more for audio purposes. in short people thinking the persimmon era is gone? YOUR WRONG! this thing sounds incredible! i may have had a "crisis" when i heard the sound at contact. this driver might be on my list but i'll have to put it up against my tour edge exotics cb3 once i get it fitted with the proper shaft. hell! i'll probably buy it just to have because of how amazing it looks!

Originally Posted by handlez42

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere on this website about this driver but i had to see if anybody else was as interested as i was. I dont know why i cant seem to post a picture i keep getting errors but in short its a smaller more traditional shape driver with what cleveland claims has the "largest faced driver they have had to date"....its finished in a mahogany like paint finish and have a brass face-like insert looking face much like the cobra long tom driver....actually its almost identical. it has classic letter and numbering on the club as well as the leather headcover with a "1" on top. even the box it comes in from shipment itself is round and almost wooden like from way back in the persimmon days.

there are a few models i think...but so far all i can find is the 290 model which stands for the weight of the club in grams much like the rest of the cleveland driver lineup. so far i cant find anything saying this will be a limited production driver much like the cobra zl white or the long tom raw. a website i recently visited called "*********" has a video review just showing around the clubs looks and numbers as well as the shaft which is by miyazaki. and from golf.com its saying to be priced at 299 which seems very enticing. amazingly all this traditional "rustique" type look isnt JUST looks. this driver has all the makings of the new age cleveland drivers as well.

"*********" also had a video of right next to the ball being tee'd off. more for audio purposes. in short people thinking the persimmon era is gone? YOUR WRONG! this thing sounds incredible! i may have had a "crisis" when i heard the sound at contact. this driver might be on my list but i'll have to put it up against my tour edge exotics cb3 once i get it fitted with the proper shaft. hell! i'll probably buy it just to have because of how amazing it looks!

there is such a thread with a video and actually the persimmon era is long gone as proven by the fact most golfers don't even realize this club is an homage to cleveland's heritage which coincidentally was in producing fine classic replica irons and persimmon woods that were an homage to classic clubs of the past.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

According to Cleveland, Keegan Bradley was using this driver when he and Brendan Steele won the Franklin Templeton Shootout in December.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

there is such a thread with a video

http://thesandtrap.com/t/45976/new-cleveland-drivers

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

there is such a thread with a video

http://thesandtrap.com/t/45976/new-cleveland-drivers

Thanks for the second video and yes that does sound pretty good.

• 4 months later...

Anyone have any experience with the Cleveland Black drivers? They are extremely light, made for guys who have lost some distance over the years. Considering I'm 57........I qualify. I tried one yesterday at a Cleveland demo session at my club and I did get better carry with the club, around 12 yards over my current driver. The thing that bothers me is it has a draw bias face and me being a natural drawer of the ball I'm afraid I will always be fighting a hook. And I did hook it some at the session. I read today that they have a tour version of the club with a more neutral face, but the club weighs a little more. Wish I had known as I could have asked the rep about it. Has anyone hit the tour version for comparison?

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

• 10 months later...

I like it. 290 cleveland classic, 9.0 degrees. Managed to hit a few about 290 yards. I have the stiff shaft. Lower ball flight and the sound is a bit weird---a little too quiet. It's not a rocket launcher like my TM Superfast 2.0 and the ball flight is lower but I think it's still a great driver and I'd recommend it. I was able to get the kind of high ball flight I like by teeing it up pretty high. I'm very pleased with the purchase. More accurate than my TM superfast 2.0.  Shaft is less whippy.

Driver: Taylormade Superfast 2.0.  9.5 Stiff Reax 4.8

3 Wood: Taylormade Superfast 2.0 Loft 15 Stiff  Reax 4.8

Irons: Mizuno MP-64 4 iron. MP-69, 5-PW, DG S-300 Shafts. 

Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, 50 (gap) and 56 (sand).   

Putter: Odyssey Two Ball putter (circa 2004) 

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." – Winston Churchill

Note: This thread is 4038 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!