IGNORED

Anyone playing with the TaylorMade xFT wedge?

Note: This thread is 4739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've only played a few rounds with it, but so far I like it. I think that the sole of the club is nice in that it has some bounce from the sand, but can be opened up in tight lies.

Originally Posted by Cut68

I've only played a few rounds with it, but so far I like it. I think that the sole of the club is nice in that it has some bounce from the sand, but can be opened up in tight lies.

Cut, what degree is your wedge? for a sand wedge I am contemplating the 64 degree but with the ability to change the plate after 15-20 rounds, getting it at 60 might seem a bit more versatile.

I have a 54 in the TM. I also carry a 58 and 64 in different brands. I wouldn't get a 64 as your main wedge, it's a very specialized club that I only use in certain situations. If I were to carry less wedges, I probably would have a 56 and a 60. It really depends on if you carry a gap wedge, how far you hit your PW, and what kind of shots you prefer to hit around the green. for example, I carry the wedges I do because I would never use something like a 7 iron to chip with. It's just not my game. I use the 54 to run the ball on the green, because I like to control the distance with the spin. The 64 I use only for flop shots and inside 50 yards, I really can't hit it much farther than that. I have more bounce on the 58, and use it in the sand and also for pitches. it's my 50-80 yard club and what I use when I want to pinch the ball and really spin it. The 54 I use from the fairway alot and when I'm hitting something with a lower trajectory.

I apologize I probably should have been a bit clearer. I am looking to use this particular wedge as a sand wedge. I have an approach and a pitching (that I am not overly enthusiastic about but I use them but am looking to replace them too). I am however in dire neednof a SW since my current one is shot and has worn completely after the 4 yes of usage. I am also looking at the Cleveland CG16 as a SW too. My current approach and pitching are a 52 and 54 respectively that came with my set (TM burners 1.0).

I might get one, but I keep wondering why they're so much cheaper than other wedges, especially when it seems like it takes more to make one.

I thought the same thing which at first deterred me from purchasing them but then thought of two important things:

1. Just because something is more expensive, that doesn't mean it is better (sometimes).  Especially with golf clubs so much is based on personal preference and feel that price almost (see how I said almost) means nothing.
  2. I myself an in a business (home appliances) where replacement parts and accessories have tremendous margins.  For example, a coffee maker may cost 100 but the margin is small.  But that little glass part, the carafe, which sells for $19 but the margin is tremendous.  These little club face inserts go for about $30 a piece.  The margin on the has got to be tremendous.  And with changing them out every 15-20 rounds, for someone that plays 18holes figure 3-4x a week?  That is where they make up the money

But more importantly, is this club more useful as strictly SW (because of the replaceable faces, the cut of the grooves, weight of the club) or is it better as a universal "I can do anything you can do" kind of wedge?.

Originally Posted by clamber

I might get one, but I keep wondering why they're so much cheaper than other wedges, especially when it seems like it takes more to make one.

Originally Posted by thegraduate18

My current approach and pitching are a 52 and 54 respectively that came with my set (TM burners 1.0).

From info I found, the Burner 1.0 set has a 35° 8i, a 40° 9i, a 45° PW and a 50° AW.  It would make more sense to get a 55° SW, and if you wanted a lob wedge, then get a 60° lob.  That would keep your gaps even on the short end of the bag.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11365895&cp;=695106&parentPage;=family

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

From info I found, the Burner 1.0 set has a 35° 8i, a 40° 9i, a 45° PW and a 50° AW.  It would make more sense to get a 55° SW, and if you wanted a lob wedge, then get a 60° lob.  That would keep your gaps even on the short end of the bag.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11365895&cp;=695106&parentPage;=family

glock, you are absolutely correct.  I tried to go on memory from when I looked it up earlier yesterday but didn't write the post till later that night.  And as you can see, my  memory for lack of better terms, is for shit (my girlfriend will wholeheartedly agree to that fact as well).  So is there a reason as to get the SW at 55 vs. the 60?

Glock: I took your advice and I am going to pull the trigger on the 56 (the TM does not come in a 55) for the sand wedge.  It comes with an option for a 12 or 16 bounce.  Is 16 too much, even for a SW?  Where as the cleveland I will get in a 60 with an 8 bounce.  There for I can use the TM in both sand and deep grass.  Any opinions?  All are appreciated.

I suppose the amount of bounce you choose would be personal preference, as well as the types of courses and bunkers you have in your area.  FWIW, my sand wedge is 56° with 14° of bounce.  My lob wedge is 60° with 8° of bounce.  I also have a X lob which is 64° and 5° of bouce.  I rarely ever bag the 64° club, but do practice with it a lot.  Practicing with it around the greens makes the lob wedge a lot easier when it gets used.  If you normally take a divot with your short irons, you would probably benefit from a sand wedge with more bounce.  That is just one opinion from a low capper that I know.  Whether or not there is any truth to it is up for grabs!

Lock, thanks for the tremendous advice.  I am going to pull the trigger this weekend on both clubs and head out for (hopefully) two back to back rounds on sunday.  Gotta love those late tee times when no one shows up after :)

FYI, the reason these clubs are lower priced is because they don't make them anymore. They were $149 retail. This also means you will want to  buy a few faceplates soon so they will last

Originally Posted by Cut68

FYI, the reason these clubs are lower priced is because they don't make them anymore. They were $149 retail. This also means you will want to  buy a few faceplates soon so they will last

I tip my hat to you Cut.  I will pick up a couple face plates when I go to pick up the club.  Gotta love this place

I wanted to thank everyone for the info on this. I picked up the club yesterday and can't wait to go ut and play with it on sunday. Cut, out of curiosity, did yours come with the R9 wrench?

Note: This thread is 4739 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!