IGNORED

My Swing (keeps21)

keeps21

• Administrator
Originally Posted by keeps21

I guess what I meant is that my weight feels like it's forward, as when compared to my earlier swings it is, although I know that feel isn't real.

I've just done a few practice swings in front of a mirror feeling more pressure in my right foot than normal and it actually seems to help me to keep my head centered as it's less of a strain to make a full turn. I'll have to experiment with that at the range.

Feel isn't real, and I've probably said that on average once a day for the past few years. :)

Your feels may be closer to reality than others, but they could also be farther from reality.

WEIGHT stays pretty well centered (it tends to shift back slightly because your arms, torso, etc. turn back while your lower body remains roughly the same re: back/forward). Pressure shifts back because the right knee loses flex and the left knee gains it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

Feel isn't real, and I've probably said that on average once a day for the past few years. :)

Your feels may be closer to reality than others, but they could also be farther from reality.

WEIGHT stays pretty well centered (it tends to shift back slightly because your arms, torso, etc. turn back while your lower body remains roughly the same re: back/forward). Pressure shifts back because the right knee loses flex and the left knee gains it.

Thanks for clearing that up Erik. I appreciate your, and everyone elses, input.

Hi Keeps21, Just had a look back thru your previous vids and a couple of things seem very strong to me. You're top hand grip seems very "strong". Strong grips feel strong cause your thumb runs down the back of the club but all they do is stop you getting a good forearm rotation.  Strong grips are wrong grips.......hey, I just made up my own catch phrase. A bit like "feel isn't real " Ha ha.

2nd, at the top of your swing you've got a cocked wrist....and a bent elbow. I'm pretty keen on the bent elbow , but that's another story. Anyway if your doing the straight arm golf swing, then I think it's important to keep the arm straight and cock the wrist. I think it's one or the other. I think it might make your contact a bit more reliable if you use one lever instead of two.

Taking the above advice may lead to destruction of your golf game. Laughing at it may reduce stress.

Yep, my grip is very strong, I'm currently working on a more neutral grip which will hopefully help cut out some of the pull hooks.

Another thing I'm working/or trying to work on is not cupping the left wrist at the top of the backswing.

• Administrator

Post restored. Slightly too aggressive mod took action. I don't entirely disagree with it in this case.

Originally Posted by logman

Strong grips are wrong grips.

Tell that to the many PGA Tour players who play with them. And his grip is not particularly strong.

Originally Posted by logman

2nd, at the top of your swing you've got a cocked wrist....and a bent elbow. I'm pretty keen on the bent elbow , but that's another story. Anyway if your doing the straight arm golf swing, then I think it's important to keep the arm straight and cock the wrist. I think it's one or the other. I think it might make your contact a bit more reliable if you use one lever instead of two.

It's not that important. Lots of top players will bend their lead elbow slightly. It's not one or the other. You do both in your swing logman - the elbow a lot, the wrist a little. He does them backwards.

Keeps, post a new better video.

1) Get closer so you fill more of the frame.

2) Get a down-the-line video.

3) Make sure you're square to your face-on video.

4) Try to find a camera capable of at least 60 (120 is better, 200+ is ideal) frames per second.

Really curious for the DL video.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It's not that important. Lots of top players will bend their lead elbow slightly. It's not one or the other. You do both in your swing logman - the elbow a lot, the wrist a little. He does them backwards.

Keeps, post a new better video.

1) Get closer so you fill more of the frame.

2) Get a down-the-line video.

3) Make sure you're square to your face-on video.

4) Try to find a camera capable of at least 60 (120 is better, 200+ is ideal) frames per second.

Really curious for the DL video.

Thanks Erik.

I tend to never really have the left arm straight, it's always slightly bent, and bends a little further at the top (which I'm trying to prevent basically by making shorter swings).

With regards to the grip - anything much weaker seems very uncomfortable to me at address.

I hit a lot of straight pushes and pull draws with my irons, which is telling me that my swing path is almost where I want it, but I'm just not getting the club face angle right for the shot shape I want, (push draw). It's either square to the path (push) or TOO closed to the path (pull draw).

My longer clubs, 4 iron, 3 hybrid, 3 wood and Driver are another question... they tend to be pull slices (with the occasional pop up to the left that go higher than they do far in the drivers case).

Will try to find a better camera and get some up to date and better videos soon.

Cheers for the input so far everyone.

• Administrator

I hit a lot of straight pushes and pull draws with my irons, which is telling me that my swing path is almost where I want it, but I'm just not getting the club face angle right for the shot shape I want, (push draw). It's either square to the path (push) or TOO closed to the path (pull draw).

I'd check the grip location in your hands - not strength, but how far in the fingers of each hand it is. My hunch is that it's a bit too far up in the palm, particularly at the butt of the club (BOC).

I'd check the grip location in your hands - not strength, but how far in the fingers of each hand it is. My hunch is that it's a bit too far up in the palm, particularly at the butt of the club (BOC).

Will pay more attention to the butt position next time I have a club in my hands!

• 2 weeks later...

Milestone post rather than a swing post....

I broke 100 for the first time today!

I shot a 98 (+27 on a par 71) on a course I'd never played previously - 46 on the front 9, before hitting the self destruct button and shooting 52 on the back 9.

2 pars.

8 bogeys.

5 doubles.

3 triples.

I had birdie chances too (most ended up as bogeys).

My driver was my friend today - missed only 2 fairways with a couple 250+ yd drives which is big for me.

• Upvote 1

• Administrator

Congratulations! Keep it going!

A pic from the top of my backswing today. I hit this heavy and finished 15 yards short of the green. Chipped up to a foot and made the par putt. Most obvious thing to me is that the shoulder turn is too flat.

• Administrator

Most obvious thing to me is that the shoulder turn is too flat.

Yes, I'd agree.

You can make a flat shoulder turn but you'll have to lift your hands up higher. Or steepen the shoulders and let the arms carry a bit higher naturally.

Yes, I'd agree.

You can make a flat shoulder turn but you'll have to lift your hands up higher. Or steepen the shoulders and let the arms carry a bit higher naturally.

Seems to me I have two options...

Steepen the shoulder turn and stick with the one plane swing which is what I've been trying to do,

Or,

Leave the shoulder turn as it is and lift my hands higher and go with a two plane swing.

I imagine moving to a two plane would need the most changes as I already move the hands in/around rather than back (more along the target line) and up so sticking with a one plane swing makes more sense.

I think...

• Administrator

Seems to me I have two options...

Steepen the shoulder turn and stick with the one plane swing which is what I've been trying to do,

Or,

Leave the shoulder turn as it is and lift my hands higher and go with a two plane swing.

I imagine moving to a two plane would need the most changes as I already move the hands in/around rather than back (more along the target line) and up so sticking with a one plane swing makes more sense.

I think...

Yes, I'd agree with your line of thinking. :)

Yes, I'd agree with your line of thinking. :)

I'm glad you agree. To me the one plane swing seems like it'd be better for consistency since it keeps everything connected / doesn't rely as much on timing as the two plane swing does.

Plus I struggle to get my arms up high - probably due to my takeaway being far too much to the inside and rolling my forearms and getting very flat.

Next time out I'm going to go for a Furyk swing feel.