IGNORED

My Nike 20XI S Review - I don't like them

Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After a week of playing the New Nike 20XI S version I have come to the conclusion I may not buy these again.

I really cant get over how hard the cover is compared to other otur balls. It feels like im putting a pinnacle or something similar.

I will say that I did gain about 10 yards in distance if not more but I was hitting crisp shots into greens that would just release all the way off. I hit 3 different balls from 120 out with my Gap wedge and the Nike was the only ball that didnt either jump and then stop or come back completely, it hit, checked, and then released 15 feet past the target.

Now im not a scratch handicapper but I will say I make damn good contact on wedge shots and compress the ball well.

Out of 9 shots ( 3 shots with 3 different balls ) the competitor balls held the green better than the new 20XIs.

The balls used were Srixon Z-Star and Bridgestone B330.

Now I know these balls come with a trade off and I could get used to losing some spin because the distance gained was good for me and the ball didnt feel all too terrible on other shots and was a lot more durable but the overall feel while putting and overall spin on clean wedge shots were a big let down.

I would have to give this ball a 3 out of 5 for my game.

Maybe within a year theyll release a softer version but I am not a fan of the firmness of this cover.

Anyone else feel the same about the new balls or is every over joyed by the rzn core, lol.

Haven't played the 20XI S by I did play a sleeve of the 20XI X and I won't be buying anymore.  I did not experience any distance gains at all off the driver.  I did like the ball off my irons and didn't really have a problem stopping the ball on the green but I gain nothing from playing the 20XI over the Srixon Z Star VX.

Originally Posted by grim golfer

After a week of playing the New Nike 20XI S version I have come to the conclusion I may not buy these again.

I really cant get over how hard the cover is compared to other otur balls. It feels like im putting a pinnacle or something similar.

I will say that I did gain about 10 yards in distance if not more but I was hitting crisp shots into greens that would just release all the way off. I hit 3 different balls from 120 out with my Gap wedge and the Nike was the only ball that didnt either jump and then stop or come back completely, it hit, checked, and then released 15 feet past the target.

Now im not a scratch handicapper but I will say I make damn good contact on wedge shots and compress the ball well.

Out of 9 shots ( 3 shots with 3 different balls ) the competitor balls held the green better than the new 20XIs.

Now I know these balls come with a trade off and I could get used to losing some spin because the distance gained was good for me and the ball didnt feel all too terrible on other shots and was a lot more durable but the overall feel while putting and overall spin on clean wedge shots were a big let down.

Maybe within a year theyll release a softer version but I am not a fan of the firmness of this cover.

Anyone else feel the same about the new balls or is every over joyed by the rzn core, lol.

The covers are the same urethane as other tour balls so they are just as soft. Its the under layers that will make a difference. To me regular ProV1's are too soft in this area and when you go to the ProV1x it gets a little too hard. IMO these 20XI's are like a ball inbetween a proV1 and ProV1X. I havent had a ball roll out on me with a wedge shot yet, and the spin numbers from the Golf digest data (wedge) was right there with ProV1. Everyone has different opinions though.

Yeah I guess I shouldve said in my half-hearted review that I realize different balls work differently for different golfers under different conditions.

In all honesty I heard these balls are more for the pro swing speeds and to get everything out of this tech you should be able to swing, if i remember correctly, around 105mph or more. ( Pro at the course I bought them at and I read somewhere on another forum as well as to that previous info. )

Im hovering around that range but im sure on avg its less than that.

Funny thing is my whole golf bag is Nike except for my wedges which are Titleist and Taylormade, so I really wanted to like this golf ball.

So yes, I realize this ball is gonna be amazing for some and a so so ball for others, but for me the feel on touch shots is just too clanky... says the 18 hdcp, lol

But ill be sticking with my current ball for now.

Yeah I guess I shouldve said in my half-hearted review that I realize different balls work differently for different golfers under different conditions.

In all honesty I heard these balls are more for the pro swing speeds and to get everything out of this tech you should be able to swing, if i remember correctly, around 105mph or more. ( Pro at the course I bought them at and I read somewhere on another forum as well as to that previous info. )

Im hovering around that range but im sure on avg its less than that.

Funny thing is my whole golf bag is Nike except for my wedges which are Titleist and Taylormade, so I really wanted to like this golf ball.

So yes, I realize this ball is gonna be amazing for some and a so so ball for others, but for me the feel on touch shots is just too clanky... says the 18 hdcp, lol

But ill be sticking with my current ball for now.

yea Ive read so many opinions that go against each other. Some people say its too soft, the next person said its too hard, then not durable enough, then extremely durable. So you cant really take much from these reviews, personally I think it has alot to do with people's games; not the ball. This is the beginning of the season and alot of people havent played much and are trying out this ball and blame the ball when it goes in the woods, chip it over the green or blast a putt 10 feet by. I have been playing great so that might be why I like the ball

Nike isnt going to put out a crappy ball for their pro's to use.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing the Nike One balls the last month (Bridgstone B330 before) or so and really like it. I'll probably pickk up a couple more dozen while there on closesout. I've been wanting to try some of the new 20XI balls but haven't yet. Has anyone tried the 20XI-X ball?

well, if you really want to like that ball, don't give up on it.  Give it a few more rounds.  At first, when I bought a couple TP blacks, I thought they were a little too firm, not exactly squishy like the V1.  It also didn't really stop on the spot for short game stuff, but released a touch.  I decided to play through the whole dozen before I made my mind.  It slowly grew on me and I realized that I like the way it let go and that instantly stopping shot bit me back sometimes as it would zip back and away or sometimes check and give me a hard ground fade/draw more than you could want.  I got used to the firmness and ended up loving the ball and bought 4 more dozen which I'm on my last 2 balls now.  After finding a penta and giving that a shot, I think that's my next transition.

Try learning to play the ball, and maybe you'll end up liking the way it reacts even better.  It may actually be more predictable than what you use now if you can learn to play to it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While I apprecaite this review, I am inclined to take it semi-seriously.  I have played three fulls rounds witth the 20XI-X so far in three VERY seperate situations.  The first time was in the rain, the second time on an overcast day with mist/wind and the third time, in beautiful sunny weather.

On all three occurances, I will say that my experience was entirely opposite to what the OP explained regarding spin and the ability to hold greens.  Keep in mind, I played the X version of this ball which is supposed to be less "spinny" than the S version.  For me, the X ball held greens VERY well.  The main difference I found between this ball and say the ProV1 is that the Nike X ball didn't suck back on full short iron swings or full wedge shots.  You say that you hit crisp wedge shots and while I believe you, I have the same ability and have been angered with beautiful shots with the ProV1 landing 8 feet from the hole and sucking back 15 feet.  To compensate with this, I would choke down on a stronger lofted club (i.e. 9i vs. PW) and control the spin that way with the ProV1.  When I played the ProV1X, it didn't suck back AS much but still required spin control on some shots.

With the 20XI-X, I could take a full swing with my 9i, PW, 56deg and the ball would hop hop, stop.  Like literally stop on a dime.  While I am a low handicap, I am no pro and certainly cannot consistently control spin with a ProV1.  And I would say that many people on the this forum who claim to be able to really can't.  So this ball reaction with the Nike ball was fantastic.  I could get my distance, play a full swing and not worry about a surprise on TOO much spin if I hit a super clean shot.  I also don't need worry about choking down on certain shots and try to get "cute" with controlling spin on a shot.  On short chips and pitches, the ball would hop hop, stop and release ONLY slightly.  This is perfect for people (like me) who like playing bump and run shots.  Again, this is with the X version of the ball...I would be sure that the S version for me would spin more which is why I am surprised at the OP review on holding greens.

I agree with you on putting.  The ball is very clicky on putts which is a personal thing with people.  For me, I like the clickly feeling, others may not.  On drives is where I think this ball really shines.  The ball sounds like it explodes off of the driver and the flight is very penetrating.  I gained some distance (which isn't important to me and shouldn't be for many really); I was more satisified at the tight ball flight; especially, on my second round with the ball in the wind.

So basically, what all of this really comes down to is the individual.  I have heard rumors that this ball (similar to the Bridgestone B330) suits higher swing speeds.  My driver swing speed is 116-119 and I hit my 6i 185.  With MY swing, I could feel the ball compress and do the things I wanted.  If others who play this ball do not have a consistent swing speed that is suited for this ball, then there is no doubt that they may not get all that they expect out of the ball.  This is the thing will golf balls these days.  Most people gravitate towards the high end balls when they can't even compress them!  Bridgestone has proved this with their excellent ball fitting specifications.

I will continue to play the 20Xi-X ball.  Will I be married to it, NO.  I'm barely a Nike Golf fan besides their clothing which should show that my expereicne isn't biased.  Will play the new Nike ball with others?  Sure -->ProV1X, Penta, etc.  But, to imply that it's not that good is a little unfair in my opinion and based on my experience, anyone that decides to play the ball should look at their own game to see if their "swing" matches this type of ball or any other high end ball for that matter.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

While I apprecaite this review, I am inclined to take it semi-seriously.  I have played three fulls rounds witth the 20XI-X so far in three VERY seperate situations.  The first time was in the rain, the second time on an overcast day with mist/wind and the third time, in beautiful sunny weather.

On all three occurances, I will say that my experience was entirely opposite to what the OP explained regarding spin and the ability to hold greens.  Keep in mind, I played the X version of this ball which is supposed to be less "spinny" than the S version.  For me, the X ball held greens VERY well.  The main difference I found between this ball and say the ProV1 is that the Nike X ball didn't suck back on full short iron swings or full wedge shots.  You say that you hit crisp wedge shots and while I believe you, I have the same ability and have been angered with beautiful shots with the ProV1 landing 8 feet from the hole and sucking back 15 feet.  To compensate with this, I would choke down on a stronger lofted club (i.e. 9i vs. PW) and control the spin that way with the ProV1.  When I played the ProV1X, it didn't suck back AS much but still required spin control on some shots.

With the 20XI-X, I could take a full swing with my 9i, PW, 56deg and the ball would hop hop, stop.  Like literally stop on a dime.  While I am a low handicap, I am no pro and certainly cannot consistently control spin with a ProV1.  And I would say that many people on the this forum who claim to be able to really can't.  So this ball reaction with the Nike ball was fantastic.  I could get my distance, play a full swing and not worry about a surprise on TOO much spin if I hit a super clean shot.  I also don't need worry about choking down on certain shots and try to get "cute" with controlling spin on a shot.  On short chips and pitches, the ball would hop hop, stop and release ONLY slightly.  This is perfect for people (like me) who like playing bump and run shots.  Again, this is with the X version of the ball...I would be sure that the S version for me would spin more which is why I am surprised at the OP review on holding greens.

I agree with you on putting.  The ball is very clicky on putts which is a personal thing with people.  For me, I like the clickly feeling, others may not.  On drives is where I think this ball really shines.  The ball sounds like it explodes off of the driver and the flight is very penetrating.  I gained some distance (which isn't important to me and shouldn't be for many really); I was more satisified at the tight ball flight; especially, on my second round with the ball in the wind.

So basically, what all of this really comes down to is the individual.  I have heard rumors that this ball (similar to the Bridgestone B330) suits higher swing speeds.  My driver swing speed is 116-119 and I hit my 6i 185.  With MY swing, I could feel the ball compress and do the things I wanted.  If others who play this ball do not have a consistent swing speed that is suited for this ball, then there is no doubt that they may not get all that they expect out of the ball.  This is the thing will golf balls these days.  Most people gravitate towards the high end balls when they can't even compress them!  Bridgestone has proved this with their excellent ball fitting specifications.

I will continue to play the 20Xi-X ball.  Will I be married to it, NO.  I'm barely a Nike Golf fan besides their clothing which should show that my expereicne isn't biased.  Will play the new Nike ball with others?  Sure -->ProV1X, Penta, etc.  But, to imply that it's not that good is a little unfair in my opinion and based on my experience, anyone that decides to play the ball should look at their own game to see if their "swing" matches this type of ball or any other high end ball for that matter.

Nice review - thank you. After 27 holes this year with 2010 ProV1s versus Top Flite Gamer V2s I found the Titleist isn't as good for pitch and runs and it's a bit shorter off the tee (about 1 extra club into the green). It's a great ball if you like to land the ball as close to the flag as possible, but depending on the day some courses aren't too receptive to that shot, so I like to keep my options open. The Nike 20XI sounds like it would fit the bill for me.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Nice review - thank you. After 27 holes this year with 2010 ProV1s versus Top Flite Gamer V2s I found the Titleist isn't as good for pitch and runs and it's a bit shorter off the tee (about 1 extra club into the green). It's a great ball if you like to land the ball as close to the flag as possible, but depending on the day some courses aren't too receptive to that shot, so I like to keep my options open. The Nike 20XI sounds like it would fit the bill for me.

Thanks.  Based on what I've seen you say about your game over the last year or so, I would ceratinly say that the 20XI-X would be a ball that you enjoy.  Plus, I am sure you have more than enough swing speed to really get the ball to react for you.

Your comment regarding pitch and runs is totally how I feel.  I get fired up (in a bad way - lol) when my pitch and run shot check's up hard and I fall short with a ProV1.  Naturally, I just really prefer to play a shot that checks and "releases" forward slightly.  To me, that is much easier to control than a massive amount of spin that many of us cannot really control consistently.  One more thing I forgot, I did play the 20XI-X ball out of the sand and that is the ONLY area where a bit more spin would be nice.  I go pretty agressive out of the sand and like how the ProV1X and Penta stops nicely (especially if your short sided).  With the Nike, I would say it released on average 2-4 feet more out of the sand than the ProV1X and Penta.  That's just me however, maybe others would experience something different.

Other than that, the only thing is the putter feel.  I know some people are very picky in this area.  Do you like a clicky feeling ball?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Thanks.  Based on what I've seen you say about your game over the last year or so, I would ceratinly say that the 20XI-X would be a ball that you enjoy.  Plus, I am sure you have more than enough swing speed to really get the ball to react for you.

Your comment regarding pitch and runs is totally how I feel.  I get fired up (in a bad way - lol) when my pitch and run shot check's up hard and I fall short with a ProV1.  Naturally, I just really prefer to play a shot that checks and "releases" forward slightly.  To me, that is much easier to control than a massive amount of spin that many of us cannot really control consistently.  One more thing I forgot, I did play the 20XI-X ball out of the sand and that is the ONLY area where a bit more spin would be nice.  I go pretty agressive out of the sand and like how the ProV1X and Penta stops nicely (especially if your short sided).  With the Nike, I would say it released on average 2-4 feet more out of the sand than the ProV1X and Penta.  That's just me however, maybe others would experience something different.

Other than that, the only thing is the putter feel.  I know some people are very picky in this area.  Do you like a clicky feeling ball?

Any urethane ball feels good, but I like the feel of the Top Flites too. I can get used to a balata ball in about 5 minutes, but something too hard (like an Wilson Ultra or Dunlop DDH) is a bit trickier.

PS. At my "new" course I'm learning to love the pitch and run. Often times landing an 8 iron 10 yards short of the green  is the right play

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• 1 month later...

I just played this ball today for the first time (not even really sure if it was X or S), but wow, very noticeable penetrating flight, almost like another gear.  When I was expecting the ball to start descending, it went a bit more.  I'm a guy who never much cares one way or another about the ball I play, and for the this one to jump out at me is really something.  Appeared to be very durable, certainly was very firm feel and click with the putter.  Just had to post,,,,, that first 15deg utility shot blew me away.

I had a gift certificate to Golfsmith so I bought 1 dozen of the spin and 1 dozen of the Distance ball. The worst ball I have ever paid for.

I will NEVER again buy these golf balls.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by cruzthepug

I've been playing the Nike One balls the last month (Bridgstone B330 before) or so and really like it. I'll probably pickk up a couple more dozen while there on closesout. I've been wanting to try some of the new 20XI balls but haven't yet. Has anyone tried the 20XI-X ball?

I thought thats what this thread was about?  I have tried the NEW NIKE BALL and they are terrible.

I like the NIKE ONE BLACK.

I have played three rounds with both the S and X versions.

I found both balls to be more durable than the ProV1-x, my normal ball. I can play an entire round with the Nike ball, whereas I need 3-4 Titleists because I fish-gill them pretty bad. I do chew up the Nike 20Xi but not as bad. The S is more easily damaged than the X.

Distance and spin, Driver: I found the X ball to be my favorite with the driver, comparable to the V1-x from a control standpoint, maybe a tad longer, but this I cannot back up with hard data. Just seemed I was a club or so closer on some holes. The S ball spins too much for me, and I have the same problem with the V1. Whereas the X (both Titleist and Nike) might go a little left or right, they're still in the short stuff. The 20Xi-S and ProV1 are both further left/right, sometimes a few paces into the Deep Stuff. Not good.

Distance and spin, short irons/approach shots: The S ball seems to be slightly longer on the par 3s than the X. Not a huge difference, no more than 10' or so, but significant. Maybe because I'm spinning it more? Dunno for sure, but the S does seem to pull back harder/further than the X. I would put the Nike 20Xi-S in the same category as the ProV1, but slightly more durable. The X ball on the other hand, seems to check quicker than my normal ball. I was getting some rather surprising two-hop-and-check shots with the X ball that would normally release about 4-6' or more with the ProV1-x. These were partial shots around the green with my sand and lob wedges. Very nice! Again, with little damage to the ball. Nice bonus.

Putter: I found both to be very controllable off the putter face when using my California Coronado. Soft click, with the X, even softer click with the S. Off my Betti, I found the X to give off a much harder/harsher click, but it didn't appear to affect my ability to putt with it. The S was slightly more subdued, but, I have to say, I didn't like the sound or feel so much off the Betti.

Overall impression: I know, this is entirely subjective, but I like the 20Xi. Specifically, the X. More durable than the ProV1-x, maybe a tad longer, seems to spin slightly less off the Driver, yet gives some surprising results around the green. I like being able to throw those short shots into the par 5s and know they'll stick. That and the fact I can play a round with one ball is more than enough incentive for me. I might just keep some 20Xi-Ss in the bag for the par 3s though... Posted Image

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

• 2 weeks later...

I play with the Nike VR blades w/ X100 shafts.  My driver ball speed was recently clocked around 167 w/ a carry of 180+.  I've been playing for over 20 years, some of it competitively, and I currently have a 3 handicap.

My purchase of the Nike 20Xi S balls ($45!) were a complete WASTE OF MY MONEY!  I wouldn't be surprised if Rock Ishii loses his job due to public outcry on how much these 'tour' golf balls really SUCK & the fact that, in my prediction, will simply NOT SELL!  I bet golf shops have a tough time selling these in around 6 months!  Most of the buyers will be ONE time buyers like you and myself!

I was so excited to try them out after all of the hype, but should have done my research.  However, I really didn't think it was necessary because I've been playing Nike (tour balls) since day one & love them!  Until now!

The compression is too high for a competitive golf ball @ 112 points (*********.com), around the top 10 percent 'HARDEST' highest compression readings they ever tested!  REALLY?!

For comparison sake the Pro V series golf ball's compression is less than 80!
I've read that the cover is extremely soft, but it doesn't really translate that way when you actually 'HIT' them!!  That's what counts, Rock Ishii (kind of ironic that his name is ROCK because he sure developed a ball that feels that way)!

I'm sorry Rock Ishii, but if you tell Anthony Kim that his swing speed is too slow for the 20xix then you've effectively excluded 99 percent of the people who play golf from playing this ball!  IDIOT!

(see nike 20xi launch event on Youtube).

Originally Posted by Danielson

I play with the Nike VR blades w/ X100 shafts.  My driver ball speed was recently clocked around 167 w/ a carry of 180+.  I've been playing for over 20 years, some of it competitively, and I currently have a 3 handicap.

My purchase of the Nike 20Xi S balls ($45!) were a complete WASTE OF MY MONEY!  I wouldn't be surprised if Rock Ishii loses his job due to public outcry on how much these 'tour' golf balls really SUCK & the fact that, in my prediction, will simply NOT SELL!  I bet golf shops have a tough time selling these in around 6 months!  Most of the buyers will be ONE time buyers like you and myself!

I was so excited to try them out after all of the hype, but should have done my research.  However, I really didn't think it was necessary because I've been playing Nike (tour balls) since day one & love them!  Until now!

The compression is too high for a competitive golf ball @ 112 points (*********.com), around the top 10 percent 'HARDEST' highest compression readings they ever tested!  REALLY?!

For comparison sake the Pro V series golf ball's compression is less than 80!

I've read that the cover is extremely soft, but it doesn't really translate that way when you actually 'HIT' them!!  That's what counts, Rock Ishii (kind of ironic that his name is ROCK because he sure developed a ball that feels that way)!

I'm sorry Rock Ishii, but if you tell Anthony Kim that his swing speed is too slow for the 20xix then you've effectively excluded 99 percent of the people who play golf from playing this ball!  IDIOT!

(see nike 20xi launch event on Youtube).

Your first post on this forum is to bash this Nike Ball?  Ummmm...ok.

Deryck Griffith

• Administrator

Your first post on this forum is to bash this Nike Ball?  Ummmm...ok.

Why not? Everyone joins for different reasons! :-D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4057 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!