IGNORED

Chicken or the Egg

KaiL
Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I do not know whether this has been discussed before or not.

How do you know that you are not fitted for your bad swings and reinforce it with your fitted clubs?

You have to trust the professional who fit your clubs, although that's not to say they couldn't be wrong. If you're concerned that the clubs are not fitted properly, I would bring them to a different club fitter and see what they have to say.

Good luck!

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by KaiL

I do not know whether this has been discussed before or not.

How do you know that you are not fitted for your bad swings and reinforce it with your fitted clubs?

Isn't that the rub of the green when everyone says to get fit and we all know that you can't make chicken salad out of chicken you-know-what. When you get fit, you can get the shaft that you want to grow into. Just make sure to discuss your goals with your club guy so that he doesn't box you in. As far as lie angles, you should get these rechecked once a year anyways, so if you have a big change you can have them re-adjusted. Everything else like length and grip size really shouldn't change.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

It all depends on whether you are able repeat a swing or not. If every swing you make looks different, you would be better off to take lessons and get that going. Then get fitted.

Happy Gilmore was a Hack!

Your swing needs to be good enough to consistently hit the ball (or more importantly, to consistently result in the same errors) before custom fitted clubs will make a difference - they're not going to create miracles.

That said, it's true that custom clubs won't necessarily encourage someone to get rid of their 'bad' habits but it doesn't really matter if they can still make the ball go where they want it to go.  I'd take the ugliest flying elbow, chicken winging, reverse pivoting swing ever if it could still get me around the course at even par.

Isn't it true then, if I already can hit consistently with my current clubs that I should be fitted with same spec.?  Most people will start with stock clubs and learned from there, good or bad,  worked hard to fit into the clubs.  A new club fitting will change the game.  A relearning process!

One way to tell is going to be the pattern of your divots. If they're almost always toe deep, you'll probably want to have a look at them again and possibly bent upright. One part of the fitting process is hard to get wrong though, and that is shaft flex. even if your swing is all over the place, you should have fairly consistent swing speeds with each club. Length is pretty simple to get too, as you should be setting up the same way every time, therefore the distance between your hands and the ground should be pretty consistent. So it all is going to go back to lie adjustment, which can be altered as your swing changes. I'm actually writing this weeks Bag Drop right now, and part of it touches on this for a sec. Hope this helps!

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

Note: This thread is 4734 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!