IGNORED

Hah, Macgregor? Seriously?......59 majors....Seriously.

Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Playing for a year, picking up the game quickly and naturally, learning of Wilson Staffs history I ended my search on the new FG tour irons. Love em'.

But they aren't the only great company that still thrives and survives today.

Wilson Staff may have 61 majors but Macgregor is chasing them down with 59??? Seriously?

Seriously.

Not to mention they also had a golf great as a Mac advocate in Jack Nicklaus. Later on they came out with "V-Foil" technology in their forged set. Not sure how it works but reviews all over the place tell me that golfers love Macgregor. Any thoughts?

I'm seriously considering the new (or a used set on eBay) forged irons on the Macgregor Golf website just to accent the wear of my FG tours.

Now come on people. Who loves the company in a close second to WS with 59 majors? Much deserved respect for them. I gotta hear your thoughts gentlemen (and ladies).

Give it up for macgregor.

Don't have to convince me! Love my MacGregor Tourney VIP V-Foil 1025Ms; some of the best feeling irons I've ever hit.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My #1 set of irons are my MacGregor MT Pro CMs.  MacGregor irons have been getting good reviews even after they were bought out by Golfsmith.

I just bought a set of VIP forged with KBS shaffts. Got them fit and am extremely excited to pick them up on Thursday. 1st Macs great looking club and my first fitted set.

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Let's see,  MacGregor Tourneys from the late 60's until about 1990/91 when I replaced them with MacGregor JNP's.  Played those until 2008 when I bought a set of Nike CCI forged and I've replaced them already.  If the TM R9 TP's I just bought don't work out I know I'll be back to MacGregor.  Those new VIP's are pretty nice and the price can't be beat.

Other than Jack winning all his majors with them, Curtis Strange won his back to back U.S. Opens with them and I think Johnny Miller also played them when he was a force on tour.

And, IIRC, MacGregor never paid any players to play their equipment.

Driver: R7 425,  3-wood: V-Steel
3H Burner,  4-pw: R9 TP
SW: Vokey, 56-10
Putter: Cameron

Cannot speak to their irons, but have been playing their forged VIP wedges for almost a year now. Love 'em.

• Upvote 1

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

My 9I, PW, and GW are MacGregor Vfoils.  Great feeling clubs, IMHO, they got it spot on with the m565 and the MT Pro-cm combo sets.  Hard to find a complete set of the Vfoils these days-easier to find MTs

m565

m565_irons_large.jpg

MT pro cm combo set

macgregor-mt-pro-cm-combo-iron-set-gunmetal-3-pw_5133817_175.jpg

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

Major wins are great but both brands are yesterday's news.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Yesterdays news? I don't think so both still make top notch clubs but have less than half the marketing budget of all the major companies. Look at the posts on here or ask anyone who plays either brand and you will not hear a negative review of either brand.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Yesterdays news? I don't think so both still make top notch clubs but have less than half the marketing budget of all the major companies. Look at the posts on here or ask anyone who plays either brand and you will not hear a negative review of either brand.

couldnt agree more. especially cause im a huge wilson fan and ive only been playing for a year. I respect a company with history and quality while still flying under the radar

BTW...the comment he made was by a mizzy lover....i may be young to this game but i know that where a games tech. starts is where it is now. Mizuno WOULD NOT be here and so successful without the push of the old companies like Macgregor and Wilson and even Ram. i'll be looking into the VIPS in the future but for now i'll stick to my fg tours

love em

• 6 months later...

I keep a set of V-Foils around for the long irons. Nobody's making anything like them, which is a shame, kind of a mini-hybrid with a forged face.  Legend has it that they made a #1 and #2  on special order for use on tour?

What is yesterdays news is the graphite shafts. Graphite shafts have improved significantly since these came out. Re-shafting cost me a lot more then the $80 the clubs cost.

"Quick Dorthy....the oil can!"

And TaylorMade adds 6 yards a year to golfer's drives everywhere......

Companies like MacGregor and Wilson Staff, and even smaller component companies are only "yesterday's news" to advertising lemmings.

Maybe you should try a set of either

If anything, Wilson Staff is making a comeback.

Bigger on the European tour than the PGA

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Love my Wilson Staff irons (Di9s) and used to own MacGregor CG1800s with Nicklaus' name on them.  Both of these sets were less expensive than the competition but perform to a level above their price points.  The CG1800s were great for me in their time and the Di9s help me now at getting better distance.  I just need to improve my consistency.  The feedback I get when I hit the ball is phenomenal.

Originally Posted by handlez42

Playing for a year, picking up the game quickly and naturally, learning of Wilson Staffs history I ended my search on the new FG tour irons. Love em'.

But they aren't the only great company that still thrives and survives today.

Wilson Staff may have 61 majors but Macgregor is chasing them down with 59??? Seriously?

Seriously.

Not to mention they also had a golf great as a Mac advocate in Jack Nicklaus. Later on they came out with "V-Foil" technology in their forged set. Not sure how it works but reviews all over the place tell me that golfers love Macgregor. Any thoughts?

I'm seriously considering the new (or a used set on eBay) forged irons on the Macgregor Golf website just to accent the wear of my FG tours.

Now come on people. Who loves the company in a close second to WS with 59 majors? Much deserved respect for them. I gotta hear your thoughts gentlemen (and ladies).

Give it up for macgregor.

MacGregor is not MacGregor.

Golfsmith owns them... Don White is gone. He is at Scratch Golf.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

And TaylorMade adds 6 yards a year to golfer's drives everywhere......

Companies like MacGregor and Wilson Staff, and even smaller component companies are only "yesterday's news" to advertising lemmings.

taylormade is known for drivers..but they arent the best in terms of irons..i little too harsh or "solid".

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

MacGregor is not MacGregor.

Golfsmith owns them... Don White is gone. He is at Scratch Golf.

i was more referring to MacGregor of the past. VIP v-foils, mt pro. I play a set of VIP forged wedges from golfsmith and of the wedges i tested which was practically everything and im glad i took a shot in the dark and bought these. The pvd chrome doesnt mark up and wear off like normal pvd finishes like watson 2011 wedges or nike sv..they are soft but not too soft. Just enough feel. Im alot more comfortable with these so i havent really misshit them more than once or twice. Although non-conforming i think for pre-2010 could be top 5 best wedges..maybe squeezed into 10 only because of ppl not trusting the work golfsmith is doing.

Originally Posted by x129

How many clubs need to be in the back to count as "winning" a major? Are irons more important than putters or drivers?

To a golfer not playing amateur, nationwide, or tour pro, the most important part of the bag is the iron set. Putter and driver only takes up two spots. Unless its a skinny par 4 or 5 off the tee your driver maybe 10-14 times. And unless its a -400 yard par 4 your hitting wedge in. So that leaves shots into greens on par 4s and and maybe an unlikely third shot into a par 5 with maybe a pitching wedge or 9..not including par 3s that even for me are usually a 5 or 6 iron. Lets not forget not long ago players were hitting 240-260 with a 5 wood or 3 wood. Now players are hitting much longer and 3 irons are being used as options off the tee and from the fairway with THAT same distance. Meaning they might be hitting iron in. I saw that with tigers win at Bridgestone when he hit the stinger off the tee with a 3 iron then hit 6 iron on. keegan bradley at the PGA on the last playoff hole layed up very short off the tee on the dangerous water hole, then hitting  6 iron from just over 200 yards! Which just makes me feel inadequate haha.

The only reason Wilson staff promotes their number of majors is because they were the standard for years and the only company to not falter like ram and MacGregor. I mentioned this as the only reason I think Mizuno or Bridgestone are so well developed in golf is because of innovation over in Japan and Asia as well as what else they offer. Baseball gloves, cleats, sports apparel, tires, and now bstone with a golf ball following. Wilson has year after year for as long as their golf history made my personal favorite.. The basketball. Of course now you see alot more companies and most of them started small and focused on technology (Taylomade was one of them once along with tour edge and Adams) I think cobra would be just another Ram Golf or Macgregor Golf had Puma not had such a successful company's like with Usain Bolt or my buddy Sam Eto'o. But now they have market to catch in the US with golf and Rickie fowler..

so irons are huge as a whole

so I only say that companies falter all the time. But considering the depression and past economic declines our country had and a company stayed alive being solely from the states is feather in the companies success cap...

Most pro guys hit more  putts than iron shots so clearly the putter is the club that should get the credit The point I was making is that those clubs (hell any club) has just about zero do to with winning a major. Jack won because he was Jack not because he picked one brand over another.

Note: This thread is 4096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!