IGNORED

Gap between Driver and Irons

Note: This thread is 4728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I need some recommendations on what to use to fill the gap between my driver and irons...

Driver - Nike Machspeed Black

Irons - Nike Machspeeds

I don't have anything between those and am stuck whether to go with Fairway Woods or Hybrids...

What do you all use and what do you recommend?

I just started playing again so if it's something I have to grow into that's fine with me.  I'd rather pick up the good stuff and work into them as i grow and play.

Thanks

I really love my hybrids I rarely use my woods anymore but that's just me. Id def think getting at least a 3 wood would be a good thing as I find them quite useful for teeing off on holes where a driver can be too long or errant and they can also give you very good distance out of nice fairway lies. Beyond that I love hybrids for their versatility they can give you exceptional distance out of less then perfect lies but in the best of lies can provide similar results to the High loft woods. But that's just me I'm a lil more hybrid crazy then most Id say Ive even stopped carry a 2-5 Iron in favor of hybrids.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

In my opinion I don't think its possible to fill that big of a gap with hybrids. Unless you are hitting your driver 320 consistently I definitely would never consider just buying hybrids. In your situation the first thing I would go try out and purchase is a trusty 3 wood (13-15 degrees), this club is important because its a long ranged club, for those situations when your drive simply doesn't put you into hybrid/iron range, especially par fives if you are consistent with a driver. After the 3 wood I would then I would purchase a 3 hybrid (19-21 degrees) this club would fill in the gap right above your highest iron. Lastly, and optional, but to fill in the final gap in your bag I would get a 5 wood (17-18 degree) this would really be important if you found yourself in between distances of a 3 wood and 3 hybrid. Just some food for thought.

Mitch Wayne

RBZ 9.5* or  910 D2 9.5* |  910F 15* Fairway Wood |  910H 19* Hybrid titleist.gif 710 CB 4-9 Irons | vokey.gif Wedges (48,52,56,60) |  California Monterey 2012 or  Studio Newport 2 |  Pro V1 Golf Ball |

Originally Posted by MitchWayne

In my opinion I don't think its possible to fill that big of a gap with hybrids. Unless you are hitting your driver 320 consistently I definitely would never consider just buying hybrids. In your situation the first thing I would go try out and purchase is a trusty 3 wood (13-15 degrees), this club is important because its a long ranged club, for those situations when your drive simply doesn't put you into hybrid/iron range, especially par fives if you are consistent with a driver. After the 3 wood I would then I would purchase a 3 hybrid (19-21 degrees) this club would fill in the gap right above your highest iron. Lastly, and optional, but to fill in the final gap in your bag I would get a 5 wood (17-18 degree) this would really be important if you found yourself in between distances of a 3 wood and 3 hybrid. Just some food for thought.

I would tend to disagree........ It really depends on if you prefer a hybrid or wood. I carry a 2 hybrid and no 3 wood because I only gave up 5 yards and am much more accurate. I know lots of people that don't carry hybrids. Hit them both and see what you like! If I hit woods well and had to pick one club to fill this gap, I would think about a 4 wood, but that's just me

I currently have old 3 and 5 woods from Spalding that I can't hit worth anything.  They're not even in my bag.  That's how bad I am with them.  Everytime I try to use them, I either top the ball or ground the clubs.

My buddy can smack the crap out of balls with his Callaway 3wood.  Clean and straight about 80% of the time.  There's a couple of places here in town where I can try both out and maybe I can mix and match depending on how they feel and if I can hit them well enough consistantly.

Oh and in regards to Driver distance from Mitch's post.  I have yet to drive a ball over 250, I'm averaging between 225 and 250.

What's the longest iron you carry, and how far do you typically hit it?  Between that and the driver, what distance gap are you looking to fill?

And have you looked into the MachSpeed hybrids or woods?  I just bought a MachSpeed 3-hybrid a few days ago, and have hit it on the range once or twice.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by xJediDadx

I currently have old 3 and 5 woods from Spalding that I can't hit worth anything.  They're not even in my bag.  That's how bad I am with them.  Everytime I try to use them, I either top the ball or ground the clubs.

My buddy can smack the crap out of balls with his Callaway 3wood.  Clean and straight about 80% of the time.  There's a couple of places here in town where I can try both out and maybe I can mix and match depending on how they feel and if I can hit them well enough consistantly.

Oh and in regards to Driver distance from Mitch's post.  I have yet to drive a ball over 250, I'm averaging between 225 and 250.

In my opinion old woods aren't even comparable to new ones. Much easier to hit now-a-days, go try some out, you will probably be surprised.

Mitch Wayne

RBZ 9.5* or  910 D2 9.5* |  910F 15* Fairway Wood |  910H 19* Hybrid titleist.gif 710 CB 4-9 Irons | vokey.gif Wedges (48,52,56,60) |  California Monterey 2012 or  Studio Newport 2 |  Pro V1 Golf Ball |

Originally Posted by Shindig

What's the longest iron you carry, and how far do you typically hit it?  Between that and the driver, what distance gap are you looking to fill?

And have you looked into the MachSpeed hybrids or woods?  I just bought a MachSpeed 3-hybrid a few days ago, and have hit it on the range once or twice.

Longest Iron I have is the 4i that came with the set.  If I hit it properly, which I do about 50% of the time, it'll usually go anywhere from 150 to about 175.

I've looked into the MSpeed Hybrids and Woods.  The site where I usually go to get my clubs doesn't carry them anymore, so I'll have to get them from either Academy or Edwin Watts when I do make a decision on what I wanna get.  Just not sure about the square heads on those clubs yet.  That's why I didn't get the regular Machspeed Driver, cause I could only find it in a square head.  And when the Mspeed Black came out I jumped on it.

How are the square heads compared to the regular shaped ones?

Originally Posted by xJediDadx

Longest Iron I have is the 4i that came with the set.  If I hit it properly, which I do about 50% of the time, it'll usually go anywhere from 150 to about 175.

I've looked into the MSpeed Hybrids and Woods.  The site where I usually go to get my clubs doesn't carry them anymore, so I'll have to get them from either Academy or Edwin Watts when I do make a decision on what I wanna get.  Just not sure about the square heads on those clubs yet.  That's why I didn't get the regular Machspeed Driver, cause I could only find it in a square head.  And when the Mspeed Black came out I jumped on it.

How are the square heads compared to the regular shaped ones?

I hated the idea of a square head club when they first came out.   Now I have 3 in my bag (Dymo square driver, Sumo square 4-wood, MachSpeed 3H).  I plan to get a MachSpeed black driver, square version, at some point.  Part of it is that I now like the idea of an adjustable head.  I'm tempted to get a 4H in square, but my 4H is still really new (bought it new on clearance), so I'm resisting... for now.

Plus, the MSpeed hybrids - at least near me - are really cheap.  I think I paid $100 or so for mine last week.

I'm a little surprised there aren't golf shops near you to try them.

As for performance differences, I can't speak to that.  Square has been advertised as more forgiving, but how much of that they actually are, I don't know.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The Mspeed Black driver I have is fairly forgiving.  Out of the 400-500 range balls I've hit, I'd have to say about 50 of them were severely hooked or sliced.  The club face is littered with ball strikes all over it.  So I know I've hit wrong...  It's only been through one round of golf.

As far as golf shops here in south Texas.  Edwin Watts is the only golf shop in town.  San Antonio would be the nearest bigger metroplex with better golf shops.  I think I saw 3 and 5 woods in Academy for $109 each.  I saw Hybrids in Edwin Watts, but don't remember the price on them there.

I'm also looking for a Putter...  Was thinking of Yes! brand, but not sure really of what to get.  My current putter is god awful.

Pay attention to the shafts on the 'bridge clubs" you get. Make sure you get a shaft and flex that works for you.

A 4W and a 3H would be a good starter. Or, a 3W, 5W, 3H, if you find hittable FW woods. You might take a lesson on fairway woods before making a final decision on club mix. Club fitters can actually do a gap analysis to help you choose bridge clubs.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 4728 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!