IGNORED

Hybrid/Rescue clubs

Note: This thread is 4733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It depends on what clubs you already have, which ones you hit good, and what you're looking for.  If you want something that will be good off the tee, give you distance and work for you in the fairway, a fairway wood might be best.  If you want something you can get more distance from than your irons hitting from the rough or fairway, a hybrid is a good option.

You need to tell us more about your game and what you're looking to achieve.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As newtogolf pointed out as with all clubs its got to be sort of personal to your needs and reactive to the holes in your game. However as a guy with a higher handicap I can tell you that a 3 wood is a very nice club to have for tee shots and I also use it for Layups on par 5s very effectively if I'm in the fairway. I dont think there is a Hybrid that at least for me can fill my needs for a 3 wood. Below that though I'm a huge fan of hybrids. I carry Driver, 3 wood, and then Hybrids 3-5. I am also thinking about adding a 2 Hybrid now. However I think of my hybrids more as replacements for my Long irons then my Woods. In my personal opinion a 3 woos is a must have club. Five and Seven Woods though might be comparable to a 2 or 3 Hybrid however.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Originally Posted by LankyLefty

As newtogolf pointed out as with all clubs its got to be sort of personal to your needs and reactive to the holes in your game. However as a guy with a higher handicap I can tell you that a 3 wood is a very nice club to have for tee shots and I also use it for Layups on par 5s very effectively if I'm in the fairway. I dont think there is a Hybrid that at least for me can fill my needs for a 3 wood. Below that though I'm a huge fan of hybrids. I carry Driver, 3 wood, and then Hybrids 3-5. I am also thinking about adding a 2 Hybrid now. However I think of my hybrids more as replacements for my Long irons then my Woods. In my personal opinion a 3 woos is a must have club. Five and Seven Woods though might be comparable to a 2 or 3 Hybrid however.

I agree, my hybrids replace my long irons that I don't hit as accurately.  I don't hit the hybrids well off the tee, so I have a 3w and 4w for that.  If you don't have any woods at all, a 3w and 3&4 hybrids might be good options, especially if you have difficulty hitting your 3i-4i.

Joe Paradiso

Well Hybrids are an awesome club from all things from off the tee, to  fairway shots even nice bump and run shots around the green. I carry two hybrids which are a taylormade burner 08 22 degree  and a cobra tws 26 degree. I love them both but like saying dont let them replace your 3w and 5w. Reason bieng while you progress in the game of golf your skills will improve and as your handicap lowers you will put them in the bag for now id say buy a nice 3 and 5 wood but get a nice 22 degree rescue I recomend the clevlend mashie any of the taylormade burners and the cobra baffles from the dws to rail. But Ill give you the advice my pro gave me when I started playing seriously go to dick sporting goods and buy the walter hagen woods that are buy one get 2 free. Than buy 2 books and which are hogans five fundimentals and harvy penicks little red book with those 2 books and a lesson it will help greatly and the hagen woods are awesome they have awesome shafts and a great head.

For me as a high capper I went through the hybrid scenario over the past year.

Personally what I have found is the hybrids are pretty darned good in lofts above 20*, much better than long irons for consistency. Under that and I much prefer fairway woods. Not sure on your distances etc but a 22* hybrid is around the 190-200 yard mark for me from a well struck shot. Should you really be trying for the green from greater than that distance when you are a high handicap? I would say typically not unless that is a real strength of your game.

The hybrids under 20* I find harder to hit than the equivalent loft fairway wood. I also should really only be trying to hit a long from a nice fairway lie. Having the hybrid sometime encourages me to try a shot that is beyond me from a tough lie. I find the 3W very hard to hit off the deck, like maybe one good shot in 5 attempts so I bag an 18* fairway. The extra bit of loft really helps for me. I also hit my 18* fairway a lot higher than any of the 18-20* hybrids I tried which makes for a softer landing too.

Good luck with it

• Upvote 1

Go get some in your hands and try several out.  Try out comparative fairways and hybrids.  I came to the conclusion that I don't like hybrids, and eventually replaced my 3H with a 3i, and I am much happier.  For whatever reason, I am much higher and straighter with a 3i than I was with the hybrid.  So my bag goes 10.5° driver, then I'm still debating between the 15° or 17° fairway (currently have the 15° in the bag), then straight to a 21° 3i.

Only way to know for sure is to go get a bunch of em' dirty!

Depends on how far you hit the ball. A 3W and a 5W will get you more distance, because the shafts would be longer than the hybrids. But, hybrids might give better control because of shorter shafts.

And, not all people are able to hit hybrids; some prefer FWs.

At a 36 HDCP, you could better make this decision if your swing stabilized a little. For now, you might try a 4W (easier to hit than a 3W) and a hybrid.

NOTE: Consider putting a "What's in My Bag" segment in either your Sig line, or in a list. That way we can tell which clubs you already have, and give you some better suggestions.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Depends on how far you hit the ball. A 3W and a 5W will get you more distance, because the shafts would be longer than the hybrids.

At a 36 HDCP, you could better make this decision if your swing stabilized a little. For now, you might try a 4W (easier to hit than a 3W) and a hybrid.

NOTE: Consider putting a "What's in My Bag" segment in either your Sig line, or in a list. That way we can tell which clubs you already have, and give you some better suggestions.

Are you the official spokesmodel for 4-woods now?

Seriously though, I'd recomment any new golfer at least try a 4-wood (regardless of the number stamped on the bottom). My 3 and 5 woods were my bread and butter my first few years of golfing. With a 4-wood I could have carried 1 less stick and still shot the same score.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Note: This thread is 4733 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!