IGNORED

How bad were you?

bunkerputt
Note: This thread is 4698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought this would be a fun thread just to see how far we've come (or are going to come ) as golfers.  How bad were you when you first started?  I'll go first.

I picked the game up seriously in 2006.  I tried to score every shot and focus on every swing and got around in 118.  I thought that was pretty decent for me, because I actually "started" when I was much younger.  I inherited my uncle's set of hand-me-down Lee Trevino blades cut two inches short when I was in 7th grade.  I hit only whiffle balls from 7th to 8th grade and, not having an instructor of any kind, didn't let myself graduate to a real ball until I thought I was ready, which happened to be when I joined the high school golf team.  It was a small town, so the tryout consisted of, "I know that kid.  You're on the team!" I remember the first day of class like it was yesterday.  Everyone had golf clothes on, special shoes, and relatively normal looking golf gear.  I still had my blades, which were by now 3 inches too short for me.  My woods were real wood.....the only one in the class with them....  and my bag.  It was red-white-and-blue.  With my t-shirt and tennis shoes, I was quite the spectacle.  I didn't know what to do until someone told me to go get in line to tee off.  I ended up being somewhere in the middle, which ensured a large number of people watching me hit a real golf ball for the very first time.  Thankfully, they let the girls play on long before it was my turn...That was nice because I already had this feeling like my penis was hanging out with everyone looking.  I took my 4-iron, which was the only club I was comfortable with and immediately got some laughs, except from the only actually good guy on the team who always took iron off that tee since it was a short par-4.  All of the laughing kids said I should be hitting driver, so....well.... I listened.  Their proper golf gear confirmed that they obviously knew better, so it was going to be my first time hitting a real ball and a driver.  I was profoundly confused about how to tee up the ball, so I just pegged it at some random height, took a deep breath and took a swing.

I'll never forget the ripping sound the ball made as it shot off and stayed one inch off the ground, carving a giant 'C' into the dew on the fairway until it finally hit the trees on the right some 50 yards out.  These kinds of worm-burning ultra-slices were my specialty with anything higher than a 4-iron.  It usually took about 6 of them to get to any green on the relatively short course we played on.  I was making extremely consistent contact somewhere....not sure where... on the club to produce that exact shot every time.  They never got higher than a foot and were always accompanied by the sound of ripping grass.  To this day, I still marvel at how quickly I saw that ball slice when it was in contact with the grass...which is apparently much grippier than the air.  The ball never made it farther out than it did right.  When I finally made it to the green, anything less than 6 putts was great for me.  I remember being excited about my first quadruple bogey, on my third round, because it was a score with a special name that you could say, since anything larger we just resorted to saying the number over par.  I was usually somewhere around 60 after 5 holes and then I would just stop keeping score and hack away.  Man... I was a really bad golfer.  The only shot I remember fondly from that time was a 4-iron from the trees on the right of a short par-3, my third shot putting me in those trees mind you.  I spied the flag between two of the trees, took aim, and hit a shot high and straight.  It was high...about as high as a stop sign.  And it was long.  That thing had to be at least 90 yards....maybe even 95.  It landed short, just on the fringe.  But it was so close and it's what brought me back to the game 15 years later.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I played my first round when I was 15 on holiday at a beach town in NZ. Only played 9 holes and shot an even 50. I then played for another few months at my local course in my hometown, and was shooting anywhere between 90-110.

I left the game until I was 22. My first round out when I was 22 I made Par on the first hole and I was like "PSSSH this game isn't that hard"....ended up shooting a 98...albeit on a tough course.

Then I got obsessed.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

I started this game golfing with my grandma when I was 6 or 7, eventually playing the worst course around with a friend who liked to play. I can't remember how I did but it couldn't be very good.

Fast forward to when I am 20 I started up again shooting around 120 constantly. I got a new set of clubs the second season and shooting a low round of 89 but averaging high 90s with a few low 100s scattered in there. This is my third season and so far I'm at a 16.8 handicap for the season with a low round of 86.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

I started playing a little when I was 12-13.  My mom would drop me and a friend off at the course on Tuesdays and Thursdays where you could walk all day for $8.

I started playing on the high school team when I was 14.  I couldn't break 100.  My best 9 hole score that season was 52.  I had my first hole-in-one at age 16.

My senior year I was shooting high 70's & low-mid 80's.  I placed 5th in our District tournament but didn't make it past Regionals.  I had my second hole-in-one at age 20.

I'm now 30 years old and just broke 70 for the first time last year, getting down to about a 4.5 handicap.  I also had my first double eagle last year.

I started playing somewhat competitive golf on a pre-high school team that prepares kids for high school teams, so I was 12 or something. I have no idea what I'd shoot at that age, because we mainly played 9 hole courses mostly par 3's.  When I got to high school, I started freshman year season trying out with varsity because i shot well at an easy course for tryouts (par 64 or something and i shot 83ish)  But, as that season progressed I dropped to fresh/soph squad and did even worse.  I ended shooting a couple 110's at 18 hole tournaments.  Sophomore year, I got down to mid to high 80's. Junior year, mid 80's to high 70's.  Senior year, mid 70's fairly consistently. I'm currently a junior in college, and when I start up summer, Ill shoot low 80's, but midway through summer I'll be back down to low 70's. I can only play during the summer, so my handicap jumps around.  As I haven't started playing this year yet, my current handicap is kind of misleading.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played a couple of times when I was in Jr High and then played in High School.  Never was good enough to make it to a tournament, I couldn't break 55 for 9 holes back then.  Of course that was in the mid 70's and I was playing with equipment from the 60's and maybe even the 50's.  I gave it up in college and played tennis for a number of years, but in the late 80's co-workers golf and talked me into trying it.

Amazingly I had gotten better, I was able to shot in the hi 90's for the first few times out and within a couple of years breaking 80.  Now in my early 50's and still getting better, I shot an even par 36 for 9 holes just last fall.  While I'm a long long way from being good, I can play respectable golf, and have actually broken 80 more times in the last 2 years than I did in the previous 10 years.

So the good news is, you can always improve, even as I have lost distance on all my clubs I stll play better. I hit the balls straighter, hit them more consistantly solid, and my putting and chipping is every bit as good as when I was younger and probably better.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I started playing when I was a little kid. In fact, I have a scorecard somewhere from the first time that I (knowingly) broke 100 on 9 holes. Yes, 9 holes. I was elated when I first broke 60 (again, 9 holes) and again at 50 and so on. Then came the conquest of beating my dad (a solid 8 capper at the time). Fast forward to junior high and I would routinely medal in my school matches shooting scores anywhere from 38 to 42 (9 hole, par 36 matches). I even managed to break 80 at Hazeltine National when I was in 8th grade (albeit, we didn't play the tournament tees). During my freshman year of high school I was able to snag the 5th or 6th spot on our varsity team for the majority of the season. This took an average in the 70's. IIRC, I ended that year averaging around 78 in our various matches. I ended up graduating from high school with a handicap around 3. Made it past the local qualifier for the state tournament but was unable to compete (long story). Going to the collage was the best thing that I ever did for my golf game. I was able to devote some serious time to practice and really matured mentally. Before I knew it I had a +1 handicap. The next summer I kept improving and so on. 3 years out of high school I was a solid and consistent +3 and got as low as a +3.8. I still have that GHIN card in my desk drawer and it includes some seriously low numbers. I never did break 60 but I did get as low as 62 more than once and even pulled off a 28 on a single 9 from time to time (I remember one round specifically, almost every shot. I was in a handicapped match play event and holed out on the last hole for a 29 from ~100y. I was certain that we were headed to a playoff. Then my competitor sunk a 20 footer for his par and won the match 1 up shooting a 53. This round was part of the reason for [url=http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/38762/unpopular-opinion-i-m-sure-i-hate-net-golf]my rant[/url] about net golf.). I got married later that fall... now I'm a solid 1 striving to get back to the + side of things. My goal is to get back to a +2 and be able to compete, I mean seriously compete, in some of the bigger state tournaments (like the MN Amateur and MN Open) that I neglected to play when I was at the peak of my game. Once I get back to a +2 I'm sure that my goals will be amended to get even better but, for now, striving for that little + sign in my handicap has been motivation enough to work on my game. Unlike Nyper I've never had an ace or an albatross. Although, I did get a 1 on my scorecard during junior league on a 230y par 4 once. It's not a real ace though since there was a temporary green in play that day and the "hole" was a stick in the ground with a 6" diameter circle around it.

Yonex Ezone Type 380 | Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro | Miura 1957 Irons | Yururi Wedges | Scotty Cameron Super Rat | TaylorMade Penta

3 years ago was the first time a played. I was a charity thing i got invited to that i didnt have to pay for. so i figured what the hell. My group gave me honors on the first tee and i promptly hit it into the woods. Wasnt much better the rest of the day. It was really embarassing.

Now i hit the fairway consistently and actually enjoy playing.

My story is somewhat similar to the OP's.

I started when I was a sophomore in high school.  My friends and I, on a whim, decided to try playing golf and joining the high school team.  I started with a junior set, that had maybe three or four clubs in it.  After playing 9 holes on a small course, I wouldnt say I was confident about joining the team.  My friends and I were not even sure if we needed to bring our own clubs!  Day one of golf team "tryouts" were a nightmare to say the least.  Skulling, or whiffing, every shot was embarrasing.  We kept watch over our shoulders to make sure our coach wouldnt see us before every shot on the practice range.  Im actually surprised thinking back that we didnt get made fun of until we ran home crying.  Luckily the demand for spots on teh team wasnt high, so we werent cut.  Day two my coach brought me a full set of adult sized clubs from his garage, what a guy.  If I shot in the 60's after 9 holes I was happy. Long story short after high school couldnt really afford to pay to play (didnt realize until recently how lucky we were to play free golf almost everyday).  Now that Im supporting myself I've been getting back into the game more seriously.  Im almost upset at how much golf time I wasted just hacking away, not ever learning the game.  But I did have fun most of the time, thats what is important.

I am 31 yrs old and in the third year of seriously attempting to play this game . My father was a natural golfer according to my mom and uncle and i have many childhood pictures taken next to his club championship trophies . My first set was from a garage sale and they were ladies clubs from , i presume , the groovy seventies . This feedback people speak of , i got plenty from that set . Mostly , ' Hey Bozo , that was a lousy shot' , or '  C'mon , you CANT  be serious ! ' . I , however , am blessed with an idiot's resolve to make a fool of myself until i am immune to it all. The first few trips to the driving range prompted a few kind - hearted duffers to dispense some help . ( although i suspect they did that to protect their frontals as every ball i hit was a heat - seeking missile heading for the nut-sackage of anybody near me ! ) My neighbour gave me some throw away senior set that i was very glad to receive and promptly set about breaking three of the clubs in my attempt at divots. I graduated to playing 9 within 58-64 shots and got the bug . The birth of my second son halted any thoughts of improving my game . Two years later , my wife's grandfather  gave an old iron set he had no need for and took me out a few times . I experienced my first birdie with him and it was ORGASMIC ! It was a par 4 , wide open except for a treeline to the left separating my hole from the next . I hit a wayward hook to the right behind the trees but somehow could still see the pin which was on an elevated green . I was about 150 yards out and took my 7 iron iron , and inexplicably placed it two feet from the pin . The cart ride to the green felt like Tiger walking to the 18th hole at the masters just knowing he'd won it already . Thankfully i sank the putt and i was hooked for life.This year i bought GI irons and i am currently attempting to break 100 legitimately . No mulligans , counting every stroke.I came close a few weeks ago during our rainy New York spring at a local course .Posted two nines for the first two holes and went Kevin Na on the other seven , with 1 birdie 3 pars 2 bogies and a double . I went home with a semi , confident i would be breaking 100 in no time and MAYBE  even 90 . Right ? Wrong ! Shot 58 , 56 , 62 and 54 . Oh by the way , i'm recovering from a crushed femur on my right leg so all is not lost yet .

It was very embarassing.

I had chopped around the range a few times and had bought a tight lies set because a bunch of my collagues and friends play and I wanted to start playing with them (this was about a year ago).  I had taken two lessons.  I let my friend, who was about a 90 golfer, convince me to try to play with him on a Saturday at about noon at a local club.  I teed off the first hole, which is a par 5 with a wide open fairway that starts about 70 yards in front of the first tee box.  On my first drive, I got nothing but tee (I saw on TV you tee it high) and the ball went about 90 feet straight up and about 30 yards out.  I picked up a five wood (because thats what you play for the second shot on a par 5, right?) and proceded to try to hack it out of the rough.  After grounding the club three times in a row and going about 10 feet, I tried a five iron (the lowest iron i had) and managed to hack out a 80 yard horrific slide about 5 feet off the ground into the fairway.  The groups waiting to tee off behind us gave a loud ovation.  It was embarassing.

A year later, I am totally hooked, and my favorite thing to do is to go play golf late Saturday afternoon with that same group, where I can now somewhat play with them.  We get out every saturday about 1.  But man those first months were tough!

I just played my first nine holes last Sunday. At age 53. I took a couple lessons last year, covered my bases by buying the wife clubs and lessons so that she'd agree to my new pursuit.

I think I am in trouble. I seem to have found my new calling... Did I suck? Yup. I didn't bother keeping a score but I was pleased with my play, rough as it was.

And I parred the last hole! It's a short par 3 and, having whacked about 9 million balls in the field behind the house, I decided to use an 8 iron. There are two nasty bunkers in front of the hole and my experienced hosts both landed there. I popped one up high and it dropped onto the right edge of the green. Green in one! Two putted for par.

I might be hooked...

I first played 6 years ago on the tiny Kuredu golf course in the Maldives. I took a couple of lessons there, played a few rounds, having to hit off a mat for every shot and liked it. I then went to the range or played a round at least twice per day on that holiday.

I got home and spent some bonus money on a cheap set of Skymax Ice irons and a plastic faced mallet putter and then block-booked 6 lessons with a local "pro" who used phrases like "hit into the ground" and "arms flatter" which got me nowhere at all. I played my first ever round at Silvermere Golf Course (Par 71, 6430 yards) on New Year's Day 2006 where I sliced every single shot into the woods or water and lost ALL of the 24 balls I'd gotten for Christmas. I even remember getting to a pure water hole where a playing partner said, "Don't worry; there are no trees on this hole except for those two to the right and behind the green" and guess where two tee shots went.

I went home dejected and chucked the clubs in the cupboard for 3 or so years and then gave them away as they were cluttering up the place.

About a year after giving the clubs away I discovered that a lot of family members on my partner's side of the family play and several friends had taken the game up. I booked myself a single "evaluation" lesson with a pro I found on the web who came highly recommended. I explained that I had no clubs and was given a Nike Sumo SQ to hit for the lesson. Almost immediately I clicked with the pro and I understood what he was asking of me. My ball striking was still erratic but at least I knew I had a good pro to go to and a club that felt good to hit. I bought myself a set of Sumo's and took several lessons with him. Then he relocated to Scotland. I played 3 or 4 rounds with family and felt ashamed at how poorly I was still playing and how easily stressed I was getting at myself for not being able to play. I was stressing so much that other people were getting uncomfortable playing so I decided to stop for the winter and come back a new person the next season.

Just prior to last spring I found a GD article about some strange newfangled way of swinging a golf club and decided to give it a go at the range. My like for Stack and Tilt was born! I then found out that I'm lucky enough to have a reasonably local S&T; pro near me so I started taking lessons with him and working on pieces of my swing 3-4 times per week for a month before taking the next lesson. In total I took maybe 4 lessons last spring and found that I was able to start diagnosing and fixing my own issues via video and online references. I played for the summer and autumn and just kept my swing going through the winter.

And that leads me to now.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I was the first person in my immediate family to really pursue golf. Started playing with a true mixed bag of clubs ranging from the 1930s up through the 1960s. My little brother had traded a tricycle to the trashman in return for the clubs.

It was summer after 7th grade I got to play. Caddies got to play Friday mornings that season. After a 5-minute lesson from a 14-year-old caddie on Thursday, I started my golf career.

First hole was a 415-yd. par 4. I scored a 19 - only because I sank a 22-foot putt once on the green. I was in high school before I finally broke 100.

Anyway, last week I played in a scramble at this course where I used to caddie. Same hole, same distance. Playing the drive of a partner, I put a 19* Raylor shot on the back fringe. We chipped up and made par - a big improvement from my first encounter with the hole.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I first played when I was a sophomore in college. I had never been to the range, and my brother and I were sharing clubs. The first hole I ever played was a 145 yard par 3. I hit a 7-iron pin high, within 12 feet. I proceeded to bogey that hole though. My next good shot came on the final hole #9 (9 hole course) a short par 4. I hit a monster drive that flew the green, and I couldn't find the ball, which was a huge disappointment.

My brother and I would play occasionally (once every 2 to 3 months). I bought my own clubs, but didn't really start playing until after I finished college during my first summer off as a teacher. I proceeded to teach myself how to play, and I stayed on the range until I had some predictability with my shots. The first round I played I probably shot 120 or more. My goal that day was to get at most a triple bogey on each hole. Now that I think about it, my score had to be worse than 120 as I doubt I counted penalty strokes on myself. So, I was pretty bad. Now I play to a 15, and that should be to a 10 by the end of the season. Depending on how busy I get this summer.

I started when I was 12-13. I was not athletic at all and anytime I just hit the ball on the first swing was an accomplishment!

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I was real bad. I made fun of my best friend growing up for saying golf was hard. I'd tell him, "The ball doesn't even move. Hitting a curveball is tough..." When we were 16, he got tired of me running my mouth and took me to play the local muni. I shot a 90 in my first round, on the front 9 lol. I was AWFUL. I stepped to swing and genuinely had no clue what was about to happen. That's when I got hooked though...

My Equipment:
Driver: 9.5* R9, 73g Fubuki stiff | 3wood: 15* R9 3 Wood, x-stiff shaft | Hybrid: 19* Lynx Hybrid, reg. flex | Irons: MP-68s (4i-PW), 5.5x flighted |
Wedges: 52.08*, 56.11*, & 60.07 Vokey Spin-Milled | Putter: Pixl L1.8, 33.5" | Balls: Pro V1x |

This is a really fresh memory....I started last year (and I'm almost 50).  I topped the ball so regularly that I probably scored 130+ on some many days if I were to golf 18 holes instead of my normal 9.  Golf was simply not fun.  I seriously considered quitting in November and had to assess if golf was worth the time and money.

I'm happy to say that after almost 5 months of not touching a club, I'm playing MUCH better this year...so far.  I simplified my approach to swinging the club and golf is actually fun....finally!

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Note: This thread is 4698 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!