Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Zeph

A Round Of Golf With Zeph

4 posts in this topic

Here are all my swings from a round of golf. Some down the line, some face on. I didn't want to post it when I saw how it looked, but I don't take myself all that serious. :-P I can't let anyone else down more than myself anyhow.

  • I'm hitting the ball better, push-draw when I get it right, lots of good results. A result of not rolling the hands over and hitting the ball first most of the time.
  • My swing is a mess
  • Posture has gone the wrong way . I need straighter legs and maybe get a bit closer to the ball
  • Back leg straightens 0-2º on the backswing... The amount of knee bend at address is probably not doing me any favors here.
  • Back knee does perhaps not kick forward and in as much, but still not good
  • Head moves down and forward a LOT from the top
  • Hips rotate too fast on downswing
  • Hips don't get forward, no secondary axis tilt
  • Too long backswing
  • Hand action is improving, less flippy and more speed, still big room for improvement
  • Flaring open clubface on the backswing
  • Taking the club back too far inside
  • Could hinge the wrists earlier on the backswing
  • More extensor action, push the right arm out.

The mats on the ranges here stink, I'm ordering my own mat. I need to hit balls on the range to get somewhere. I want to win the Lotto and migrate to Erie. Perhaps I should go Bubba-style and just swing it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I finally watched it all. Looks about right for the scores you're shooting.

Originally Posted by Zeph

Posture has gone the wrong way. I need straighter legs and maybe get a bit closer to the ball

Back leg straightens 0-2º on the backswing... The amount of knee bend at address is probably not doing me any favors here.

Will be relatively easy for you to clean up. Feel taller, butt not sticking out so much, and let the knees "separate" (we talked about this) on the backswing.


Originally Posted by Zeph

Hips don't get forward, no secondary axis tilt

Yeah, but you know that, and that's good. The reason you can still hit draws is largely because of the second part. Also, the more your head goes forward the less secondary tilt you'll have.


Originally Posted by Zeph

Too long backswing

Taking the club back too far inside

Could hinge the wrists earlier on the backswing

More extensor action, push the right arm out.

Ah, it took to the last one before you got there, but yes.

These pieces all kind of go together. Extensor action will shorten the backswing AND take it higher. You're too low right now which will make consistent strikes difficult. Too much variation in path.

Try this (once you've cleaned up the legwork): feel that you're taking your hands in and then UP UP UP. Lots of extensor action and just LIFT the hands up.

As drills in a mirror, try this: load #1 and #4 but don't rotate your shoulders at all. Just load #1 and #4 (and 2 and 3, but don't worry about those). Then make your centered shoulder turn. Check your position at the top. The left arm will be higher, the swing will have stopped MUCH shorter, and so on.

Look, at this point your backswing is again so far out of whack that you need to tune that up a little, because it's negatively affecting your ability to execute a proper downswing.

If you're on AIM remind me and I'll get some videos to you...

If you can square away the early rotation of the clubhead inside/under, you can clean up the legwork a little by thinking:

  • Turn (with hands in, clubhead out).
  • Lift
  • Extensor

I think that'll make sense.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:
Originally Posted by iacas View Post

Will be relatively easy for you to clean up. Feel taller, butt not sticking out so much, and let the knees "separate" (we talked about this) on the backswing.

Static positions are usually easy to fix. Didn't take much effort to get into a wrong position. I've rehearsed it in front of a mirror, looks pretty good. I'm hoping my thoughts on improving the leg action will work out. I've found some checkpoints which I can use when taking my address position, that'll make it easier. Weight on the balls of the feet, slight knee bend, hands straight down or slightly out, depending on the club. I did this on my last range session, along with earlier wrist hinge and the knee separation, and I hit the ball better than I ever have at the range.

Quote:

Look, at this point your backswing is again so far out of whack that you need to tune that up a little, because it's negatively affecting your ability to execute a proper downswing.

If you can square away the early rotation of the clubhead inside/under, you can clean up the legwork a little by thinking:

  • Turn (with hands in, clubhead out).
  • Lift
  • Extensor

Yeah, my backswing has always been a bit of a mess. Got a bit better when I worked on the length, but more difficult than some other parts to get consistent. Need a lot of reps to get it right. I'll get to it once I've improved the legs.

Thanks!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Zeph

Yeah, my backswing has always been a bit of a mess. Got a bit better when I worked on the length, but more difficult than some other parts to get consistent. Need a lot of reps to get it right. I'll get to it once I've improved the legs.


Turn, lift, extensor will help the legs, too (the turn part).

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0