IGNORED

David Duval - Anyone think he has a chance at winning another major?

USGolfers
Note: This thread is 4727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I saw David play at the Fred Meyer Challenge in Oregon. His swing was like music, fluid, smooth, graceful. Then he disappeared from view. But he's back in the hunt occasionally and hasn't withdrawn from the TPC like some other famous golfers. Does anyone think he's got a chance at another major? Is anyone else routing for him? Does anyone else even know who he is?

Of course everyone knows who he is -- the man won the Open Championship for god's sake.  I am a huge Duval fan and am definitely rooting for him.

Does he have a chance to win a major?  I say yes, as evidenced by his play at Bethpage a couple years back.....he is not as solid as he used to be, but the man can still play very, very well at times.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Does he have a chance to win a major?  I say yes, as evidenced by his play at Bethpage a couple years back.....he is not as solid as he used to be, but the man can still play very, very well at times.

That was only his second top-10 at a major since he won one (back before I started university). But yes, I believe he can win another one. I'd love to see it!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by USGolfers

I saw David play at the Fred Meyer Challenge in Oregon. His swing was like music, fluid, smooth, graceful. Then he disappeared from view. But he's back in the hunt occasionally and hasn't withdrawn from the TPC like some other famous golfers. Does anyone think he's got a chance at another major? Is anyone else routing for him? Does anyone else even know who he is?

Wow. Couldn't help but fire a shot across the bow could you? At any rate, I've been ROOTING for Duval to make it back to his former abilities to contend and to win big events. He seems like a genuine guy and is easy to root for. Will he get back to where he was years ago? Not sure I see that in his game or his committment. But I see flashes of good play from him. But ultimately it's those poor swings and poor holes that keep holding him back.

I'm a huge fan of Duval, but unfortunately I doubt he'll win a another major. Maybe another tournament of two, but even if he does that it'll probably be a Fall Series event or one of the lower-rung PGA Tour events that all of the big names skip. I'll definitely be rooting for him.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by henniebogan1966

Wow. Couldn't help but fire a shot across the bow could you? ...

I assume you're referring to TW. I don't care how far back you are I think it's disruptive to the other players in the group to withdraw in the middle of a round. If it's an injury that's different. But just because you rounds not going well doesn't justify affecting the conditions of the other players. I say finish the round and lick your wounds on the bus ride home.

Glad to see all the positive responses toward DD though.

Originally Posted by jamo

I'm a huge fan of Duval, but unfortunately I doubt he'll win a another major. Maybe another tournament of two, but even if he does that it'll probably be a Fall Series event or one of the lower-rung PGA Tour events that all of the big names skip. I'll definitely be rooting for him.

I agree. It reminds me of when I was young and everyone was waiting for Johnny Miller to come back and win another major.He never did so I doubt Duval will given: 1) at his best Miller was better than Duval, 2) Miller came back and won regular tour events much quicker and 3) the # of players who could realistically win a major was much less back then.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

It would be great to see him win a major but at this point, I think the percentage is pretty low. Always fun to see his name near the top of the leaderboard.

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Does anyone know who David Duval is? Come on, I know he hasn't done tons of stuff since X-Files, but he's still plugging away!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

David Duval has been my favorite golfer since I was in junior high.  Growing up in the mid-90's, my 3 favorite athletes were Ken Griffey Jr., Michael Jordan, and David Duval.  If he made a serious comeback and climbed back up the rankings, I might actually giggle audibly.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

I hope David stays in contention, as many others..  IMO having an elite number of players always winning isn't good for golf as a whole..  I like it when the entire field is within striking distance.. I've been a golf fan for over 30 years, and honestly the direction the PGA and USGA is going is not good for our industry.. Last 5 years more courses are closing then ever, less rounds played then ever.. This status quo we are stuck in is going to kill us..

I assume you're referring to TW. I don't care how far back you are I think it's disruptive to the other players in the group to withdraw in the middle of a round. If it's an injury that's different. But just because you rounds not going well doesn't justify affecting the conditions of the other players. I say finish the round and lick your wounds on the bus ride home.

Dude.... it was an injury. He was playing bad, because he was injured, so your statement makes 0 sense.

Regarding Duval, I doubt he can win a major. But more improbable things have happend bevore.

I can't say whether or not I was referring to the player in question as apparently the mere mention of that name invokes anger here. So, I'll just say this. I admire and respect Duval greatly for his perserverance in his comeback bid. I would love to see him win a major and I hope he does. In my heart of hearts, I don't believe he will, but I really would like to see it happen. It just seems like he can't put together 4 rounds good enough to get there anymore. But again, lots of respect and admiration for his comeback.

• Upvote 1

I'm really pulling for David, who is a truly good guy and would love to see him win one more major. (at least). I'll certainly be pulling for him going forward as his comeback continues.

good lord, david, did you let yourself go or what???  man, he is a couple of happy meals away from being tim herron...

Colin P.

David Duval is 40 this year and not many have won a major in their 40's. His best showing last year in the four Majors was 70th in the US.

So you could get long odds for him to do so.

When he became Champion Golfer of the year at Royal Lytham and St. Annes (2001) he made a lovely speech and by all accounts was a very well liked Champion and performed all duties that year with dignity.

If he had not played to such a high level in the past I would say no way.  Being number one and having won majors seems to inbue players with a bedrock confidence that when in contention seems to reassert itself.  Greg Norman, Tom Watson, Fred Couples have all made runs at majors in recent years, all at least 10 years older than Duval.  So it would suprise but not shock me if he caught lightening in a bottle one week and won a major.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Note: This thread is 4727 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!