IGNORED

Do irons lose some distance as they get older?

tanktwo2
Note: This thread is 3891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm currently playing a set of Titleist 704 cb's.  I picked em up used for 150$ and hit them pretty solidly.  I believe the clubs are from 2005

I was hitting my 6 iron 160-165 yards, and they have S300 shafts.  My swing speed is between 105-110.

I was curious as to whether or not the problem was me, or my irons.  Went to the golf store, tried a set of Mizuno MP-58 and was making nice smooth swings getting them out 180 VERY consistently

I'm very close to dropping my 704's for something else

Unless you are in the market for new irons (Mizzy), I would first check the lie and loft specs on your 704's.  I'm sure someone can compare the current specs against the OEM specs, and then do what they can to bring them back as close as possible to OEM level (assuming that a previous owner didn't have them altered prior to your purchase).  A golf repair shop, reputable golf store, etc. could either help you or recommend someone to do this.  You could even contact Titleist.

I beleive that the 704's are forged, so this softer metal could be out of lie and loft spec - definitely worth a look.

Well, 6-P are set to have the same lofts, so unless yours got really weak, that's not the issue. Were you hitting your 6I side by side? Alternately, was this at a range where you have hit your 6I in the recent past? It's not unheard of for a launch monitor to be juiced a bit. I was demoing some Nike Pro Cavities at a GolfSmith a month or so ago and sending their 6I 25 yards past mine, according to the launch monitor (without hitting mine next to it). I suspect it was inaccurate.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wouldn't trust the launch monitors for acuracy, the only was to compare to your old clubs is to hit the side bt side as Shindig said.

I was demo-ing some Mizzuno MX200 last year in AZ and the PGA Superstore launch monitor said I was hitting the 6i 25yds further than mine, the sales guy was quite pushy, I said I would go and get my clubs and hit the side by side and he said I couldn't do that, needless to say I walked!

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Irons do not lose their distance with age, only golfers do. There is nothing wrong with those clubs, but I would get the lofts checked.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I play a restored set of Titleist DCI Blacks currently. I don't know the specific year mine were built, but they were sold from '93 to '96.

I hit my 5 iron ~200 yds., and the guy who bent them 2* up told me that they were 1* weak through the entire set.

But they are longer than my newer Pings. Go figure.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Yeah, since I picked them up used, i'm thinking the guy had them delofted a bit.

I'm 21 years old, lift weights pretty strong, about 190 and lean. I'm pulling a 7 iron when my little friend playing his mizuno's is pulling 9 iron who must weigh no more than 140 lbs.

Figured something must be wrong

I hate the feel of the 704's not going to lie, especially when I carry a 6 iron 160 yards.  They just feel clunky as hell

Originally Posted by tanktwo2

Yeah, since I picked them up used, i'm thinking the guy had them delofted a bit.

I'm 21 years old, lift weights pretty strong, about 190 and lean. I'm pulling a 7 iron when my little friend playing his mizuno's is pulling 9 iron who must weigh no more than 140 lbs.

The only way to get valid results with such a test is to hit the same club (i.e. 6 iron) from each set side by side on the same day, under the same conditions or with the same launch monitor.  Otherwise you bring too many variables into play.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by tanktwo2

Why don't you try his irons the next time you play. If he is still has 2 clubs on you then you know its not the sticks.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I don't think the club heads will lose distance, I do think the shafts will wear after a while (going from a cold winter to hot july)

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Why don't you try his irons the next time you play. If he is still has 2 clubs on you then you know its not the sticks.

There could be a lot of reasons for the disparity, but recently Mizuno jumped on the distance bandwagon (both feet) with their JPX line. It's almost embarassing (I have no stake in it either way).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Actually your clubs should gain a little distance. From the constant hitting on the grass when you take a divot the clubs can deloft giving you a lower flight and more distance. I have my clubs checked every 6-8 month and usually the clubs I use most have to be adjusted.

My only problem with golf is that I am usually standing too close to the ball............ after I hit it.
In my bag

Ping G30 Driver

Ping G25 3 wood

Titleist AP2 3-PW

Edel wedges

Edel putter

Originally Posted by sean_miller

There could be a lot of reasons for the disparity, but recently Mizuno jumped on the distance bandwagon (both feet) with their JPX line. It's almost embarassing (I have no stake in it either way).

I know what you are saying. My point was that there are quite a few 140 pounders that can put it out there. If they both hit the same set and the guy still has 2 clubs on the OP, then he is just getting schooled by this guy. Or he could just hit both sets and compare. I was trying to make the subtle point that 140 pounds vs. 190 pounds and lifts weights doesn't mean much in the world of golf.

Again, size has hardly anything to do with distance.

I weigh 147, never to go the gym and out drive a lot of bigger guys. It's how you swing the club.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I know what you are saying. My point was that there are quite a few 140 pounders that can put it out there. If they both hit the same set and the guy still has 2 clubs on the OP, then he is just getting schooled by this guy. Or he could just hit both sets and compare. I was trying to make the subtle point that 140 pounds vs. 190 pounds and lifts weights doesn't mean much in the world of golf.

I knew what you meant and should have replied to the OP.  I hit my Clevelands about an iron longer than my Mizunos (same shaft flex and loft angles) because I hit them a bit more crisply on average and they're about 3/4 of an inch longer.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I hate the feel of the 704's not going to lie, especially when I carry a 6 iron 160 yards. They just feel clunky as hell

really?? I have the exact same irons and I love them. I think they have great feel, they're forged titleist irons after all. I find it really strange that they seem clunky to you, they're pretty much the opposite of some of the SGI shovels on the market today..THOSE are clunky.

Wouldn't worn down grooves produce a little less backspin, and thus a little less distance? I doubt it would be much, but it could be to blame for a few yards, and maybe a full club length...?

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

Wouldn't worn down grooves produce a little less backspin, and thus a little less distance? I doubt it would be much, but it could be to blame for a few yards, and maybe a full club length...?

No way José. The job of the grooves is to clear away water, grass and debris. If you hit a clean ball from a fairway, the clubface could've had no grooves and the ball would spin nearly exactly the same amount. Spin is created from the difference in angle of the club at impact and the angle it hits the ball.

You can compare grooves to the thread on a tire. It is not giving more grip, it's there to funnel away water, snow and stuff. This is why the new V grooves don't spin more off a clean lie. They only make a difference when you get something between the clubface and the ball, most commonly grass. The grooves are not able to clear away as much grass, which leaves more grass between the clubface and the ball at impact. Water or grass on the clubface can cause less spin since you don't get the same contact with the clubface and ball. That's why people say you should keep the face of a wedge clean before hitting a shot, especially one where you want some amount of spin.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note: This thread is 3891 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!