IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by GolfBear

This years group seems to have an overabundance of douchebaggery.   The guy from Canada seems to have some real self esteem issues and the Texan reminds me of the guy in the bar that talks about how bad ass he us right up to the point someone kicks the shit out him.

I just hope Russell doesn't choke someone out. :P

I'd argue quite the opposite of that statement. This cast doesn't hold a candle to the vaunted realm of douchebaggery that was The Big Break: Disney Golf. Justin is an obnoxious little twerp, for sure, but I'm reading Kent as having an Asperger's-level social deficiency more than anything. Everyone else appears on a relatively even keel, considering that this is a competition, after all.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by KillaK

So let me get this straight - saying anything critical about the marine is off limits on this forum?  I mean you can appreciate the sacrifice and great thing that hes doing for our country and make observations and opinions about him on the show without betraying that fact.  Reality is he did talk some smack and he did hit his drive into the trees not even close to the fairway - I dont know why people are coming down on this dude for pointing that out.

Lets be honest anything Iacas doesn't agree with is off limits in this forum.

Whats in my bagboy.gifcallaway.gif FT-9 I-Mix Head on UST V2, callaway.gif Diablo 3 Wood, adams.gif A7 #3 and #4 Hybrid, adams.gif A7 5 - PW, cleveland.gif CG15 - 52, 56, 60, rife.gif Abaco

• Administrator

And normadamarine you would have to give this dmilt guy a million strokes if you played him - says his handicap is a 26 an yours is a 0.6 - whats that like 10 strokes per 9?

What kind of math is that? Also, he's a +0.6, not a 0.6.

Originally Posted by KillaK

I have to agree with some of the other posters - every time I watch the big break i feel like most of the guys aren't worthy of getting an exemption into a pga event - I dont know if its the editing or what but they hit a whole lot of very bad shots that I never see even journeymen tour pros hit.  Well - except for that 16 Kevin Na threw up and the chokeathon rory pulled in the masters.

And yet Tommy Gainey's doing well on the PGA Tour. The LPGA Tour has had the Southern chick whose name escapes me doing really well. Pretty sure she was even on the Solheim Cup team. They get the occasional PGA Tour-level guy out there. Oh and a couple of seasons ago another Big Break guy was on the PGA Tour and did okay... an Australian guy, I think.

Originally Posted by dmilt23451

Lets see how you fair for the rest of the BB before you put up any more money.

Are you going to take him up on his bet? I'll come out and officiate. Indiana's not too far away...

Originally Posted by dmilt23451

Lets be honest anything Iacas doesn't agree with is off limits in this forum.

You couldn't get much farther from the truth if you tried.

The rules of this forum simply ask that you act maturely. How many of your posts have ever been deleted? By my count it's one - and that's because twelve different people (none of them who were me OR another moderator) flagged it as something they did not feel belonged on the site.

Disagree all you want. Just don't be a douche and you'll never have a problem.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

The LPGA Tour has had the Southern chick whose name escapes me doing really well. Pretty sure she was even on the Solheim Cup team. They get the occasional PGA Tour-level guy out there. Oh and a couple of seasons ago another Big Break guy was on the PGA Tour and did okay... an Australian guy, I think.

Those would be Kristy McPherson and James Nitties. Also, Matt Every (from the Mesquite season which also produced Nitties) was playing very well on the PGA Tour during the early part of the 2010 season, but he was arrested for marijuana possession before the John Deere Classic and subsequently served a suspension that wrecked his progress.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I have to agree with what that dude on the show said tonight.  That was some ugly golf in the elimination round.  Frankly, all three of those guys should be eliminated.  None of them showed me that they should be competing for a tour exemption.  I know there's tons of pressure but.....that's the point.  If you can't handle the pressure then you shouldn't be there.  I would rather see guys who don't have some story or who aren't major "characters" but have tons of game going at it.  And that half stroke buy.....who's gonna ever do that?  I've watched most of the seasons but TGC is starting to lose me on this one.  I appreciate them trying to switch it up a bit with the whole money gig but better players would be the best thing.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

I have to agree with what that dude on the show said tonight.  That was some ugly golf in the elimination round.  Frankly, all three of those guys should be eliminated.  None of them showed me that they should be competing for a tour exemption.  I know there's tons of pressure but.....that's the point.  If you can't handle the pressure then you shouldn't be there.  I would rather see guys who don't have some story or who aren't major "characters" but have tons of game going at it.  And that half stroke buy.....who's gonna ever do that?  I've watched most of the seasons but TGC is starting to lose me on this one.  I appreciate them trying to switch it up a bit with the whole money gig but better players would be the best thing.

I actually enjoyed tonight's episode, but I don't get why that Justin gets so ticked off about everything.  The guy plays a guitar and he's ready to fight him.  The Canadian speaks the truth about how ugly the golf was at that moment and he's ready to fight him.  It seems pretty clear that in the coming episodes the Canadian is going to get under his skin.  And if that causes Justin to falter, he will deserve to by allowing a guy to get to him.

Agree on the character stuff.  I'm already tired of some of the cliches and bravado I've heard over and over.  But I have to admit I enjoyed all of the different golf challenges I saw tonight.  It more than makes up for it.  Russell fought back well, but that Floyd meltdown was hard to watch.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

So let me get this straight - saying anything critical about the marine is off limits on this forum?  I mean you can appreciate the sacrifice and great thing that hes doing for our country and make observations and opinions about him on the show without betraying that fact.  Reality is he did talk some smack and he did hit his drive into the trees not even close to the fairway - I dont know why people are coming down on this dude for pointing that out.

He's receiving the souffle treatment here. On other forums consensus is just a wee bit outside.

I love atypical bluster when it's clever and over the top. So far it's been marine jargon at every turn. Could be the producers' fault, but already tiring, almost at parody level. Aaron Wright during Big Break Prince Edward Island was understated and solid throughout. He never had to tell us he was a marine.

I hope Russell lasts long enough to exhaust the supply and come up with some original material; situational reacting and not reciting the toted lines. Brian Skatell was a treasured riot because everything was unpredictable. Devastating visuals within a few words.

Auditioning for this show earns my respect, let alone making it. Put any of us on the show and we'd fold beyond any estimate. And posting on forums like this is a bonus, much appreciated. But behavior is what makes or breaks a contestant's reputation. Witness Blake Moore, who was asked to leave his club. So naturally the viewers' early focus is who can play and who sounds like a gem or a brick.

I'll play you for any amount? You made my point. That's standard fare.

• Upvote 1

anyone know where I can download or watch any episodes of the Big Break?

taylormade.gif - Taylor Made R11 Driver, 9*
taylormade.gif - Burner 2.0" 4-AW Steel
vokey.gif - Vokey 56*, 60*, 64*
odyssey.gif - Odyssey ProType PT 82

titleist.gif - Pro-V1  taylormade.gif - TMX Stand Bag

Nitties is top bloke, but his swing, yuck.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Those would be Kristy McPherson and James Nitties. Also, Matt Every (from the Mesquite season which also produced Nitties) was playing very well on the PGA Tour during the early part of the 2010 season, but he was arrested for marijuana possession before the John Deere Classic and subsequently served a suspension that wrecked his progress.

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I'm pulling for the little canadian dude - he seems to have a great swing & just plays steady & consistently - seems to be the underdog.      I hope the tall Canadian guy with the glasses - Mr. Supercritical - is the next out - he's cocky & talks way too much smack for his level of game...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

This is the first season I'm watching the show.  Do these guys get to warm up before the challenges or are we seeing them swing cold?   While I don't like Kent, he was pretty dead on about the quality of golf these guys were playing, but it's better explained if they are hitting cold and dealing with the pressure of every shot being on television for all to see.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

This is the first season I'm watching the show.  Do these guys get to warm up before the challenges or are we seeing them swing cold?   While I don't like Kent, he was pretty dead on about the quality of golf these guys were playing, but it's better explained if they are hitting cold and dealing with the pressure of every shot being on television for all to see.

Only a guess, but I would say they get to go to the range before they start recording the challenges it's just that they do have to sit in between to listens to the hosts talk, set up the events, etc. and actually starting the challenge.

They do show the contestants on the range at times through the show (although haven't seen it yet this year I don't think). Could be range time from after the challenges at the end of the day or something too. With the editing of the show, you really don't know exactly when things are shot or how they've been spliced together.

I have to agree with this.  No one won the elimination round last evening, Floyd lost it.  But I understand we all have bad days, but neither of the two survivors distinguished themselves with their play.

Originally Posted by Doctorfro

I have to agree with what that dude on the show said tonight.  That was some ugly golf in the elimination round.

Butch

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger

He's receiving the souffle treatment here.

To be clear, one post was removed and it was done so because it was well across the line. I doubt Russell would care much if he was roasted for legitimate reasons - this far into The Big Break anyone going in has to know the deal - but when as many users here report the post as offensive, then that doesn't live up to the only rule here - behaving maturely or sensibly.

I don't think Russell wants the souffle treatment.

I also think people get a bit too wound up about anyone on The Big Break. People seem to forget that the producers are "building characters." Skatell made that easy, of course, but there's not a doubt in my mind that we see about 3-5% of what any contestant says or does on the show that would inform us of their true character. Does it seem like Russell spouts only Marine-like one-liners? Yep. It seems that way. Does it seem like that guy plays his guitar every freakin' chance he gets? Yes, it seems that way. Does it seem like some guys hate some other guys? Yep, it seems that way.

It's entertainment. It's not the best golf, either, but I don't doubt that the pressure is "different" than even playing on the PGA Tour, where you can "just play golf" for 4 hours at a time without having to comment on other people's personalities, hit trick shots over walls, go "head to head" in one-hole matches, have five cameras filming you from 17 angles, with commentators you can hear talking about the pressure you're facing, etc.

It's pressure - it may even be less pressure than you'd face on the PGA Tour - but it's different pressure.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I also think people get a bit too wound up about anyone on The Big Break. People seem to forget that the producers are "building characters." Skatell made that easy, of course, but there's not a doubt in my mind that we see about 3-5% of what any contestant says or does on the show that would inform us of their true character. Does it seem like Russell spouts only Marine-like one-liners? Yep. It seems that way. Does it seem like that guy plays his guitar every freakin' chance he gets? Yes, it seems that way. Does it seem like some guys hate some other guys? Yep, it seems that way.

Re: above. I heard Clinton Kelley (the guy on What Not To Wear) at the mall one day by chance, and he gave us some inside dope on the show, one bit of which was that for every minute of the show we see, there is one hour of taping behind it. It's edited down that much.

Remember how boring Big Break Mesquite was after Robert got bounced because everybody got along pretty well, there were no outsized personalities, and everyone just wanted to play golf? I think TGC learned a lesson.

Either several of the guys on the current show need a personality transplant, or the BB producers want to make it look like that. My money is on number 2.

"These guys are complete morons! This one is an absolute jerk!" you say. Yet that's why you tune in next week for more, and TGC knows it.

Boy brother you hit that nail on the head...

To be clear, one post was removed and it was done so because it was well across the line. I doubt Russell would care much if he was roasted for legitimate reasons - this far into The Big Break anyone going in has to know the deal - but when as many users here report the post as offensive, then that doesn't live up to the only rule here - behaving maturely or sensibly.

I don't think Russell wants the souffle treatment.

I also think people get a bit too wound up about anyone on The Big Break. People seem to forget that the producers are "building characters." Skatell made that easy, of course, but there's not a doubt in my mind that we see about 3-5% of what any contestant says or does on the show that would inform us of their true character. Does it seem like Russell spouts only Marine-like one-liners? Yep. It seems that way. Does it seem like that guy plays his guitar every freakin' chance he gets? Yes, it seems that way. Does it seem like some guys hate some other guys? Yep, it seems that way.

It's entertainment. It's not the best golf, either, but I don't doubt that the pressure is "different" than even playing on the PGA Tour, where you can "just play golf" for 4 hours at a time without having to comment on other people's personalities, hit trick shots over walls, go "head to head" in one-hole matches, have five cameras filming you from 17 angles, with commentators you can hear talking about the pressure you're facing, etc.

It's pressure - it may even be less pressure than you'd face on the PGA Tour - but it's different pressure.

Originally Posted by dmilt23451

Don't get it twisted I'm not calling his service to this country into question. Just all of his underwhelming bravado

Players abilities were being called out on this forum... when collectively we had watched ONE putt.  Some players had yet to hit a short iron.  Others had yet to hit a long iron.  Only two players hit more than one driver, and only ONE player had finished more than ONE HOLE.

Calling their talent level out at that point as astonishingly shortsided.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by inthehole

I'm pulling for the little canadian dude - he seems to have a great swing & just plays steady & consistently - seems to be the underdog.      I hope the tall Canadian guy with the glasses - Mr. Supercritical - is the next out - he's cocky & talks way too much smack for his level of game...

The guy who played in the 2010 US Open?

I'm not a fan of the persona being portrayed by him or the shows editors, but you don't qualify for a US Open without some serious game and steady nerves.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!