IGNORED

How do you putt?

Note: This thread is 4699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What do you aim at when putting?

• I use the alignment arrow on my ball and focus on that
    • A spot on the green that's in the line I want
    • A spot on the green before or after the hole (not necessarily on the line you want)
    • Nothing in particular, I just feel it

When setting up to putt...  I position the ball with the alignment mark in the direction I want the ball to go.  I then focus on keeping my stroke in line with with the mark.

I'm curious how everyone else lines up their putts.

I pick a spot in the line I want the ball to start.  If it is uphill, that point may be past the hole.  If it is downhill, it may be before the hole.  This helps me with distance control.  I try to equate the slope to how hard I would hit a flat putt.  The last thing I do is look at my target.  When I bring my focus back to the ball, I forward press then putt, no waiting.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would seriously recommend you take a read of Dave Pelz "putting bible", it will change your out look on putting and will make a huge difference for your game.

Whats in the my bag,

taylormade.gifR9 TP taylormade.gifSuperfast 3 wood Rescue 19*  712 MB (3-P KBS T shaft)  

SM4 52*,54*,60*   Pickemup 42" Belly Putter  titleist.gifPro V1x  adidas.gif 360 footwear

A spot on the green before the hole I want the ball to roll over. I pick it, then don't think about it too much and focus more on the speed. I imagine a line from my ball to the hole the entire putt. I can usually hit my line I want ( whether I read the break right or wrong ), but speed is the key for me. I'm averaging 31.7 putts this season over 5 rounds, down from 34 total last year. Hopefully I can get it down to around 31 for the entire season. My putting has become a strong point of my game

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

i don't use any alignment marks on my ball when putting.  i visualize the line, pick a spot on the green in that line and give it a go.

R9 Driver and 17* 4 wood
mizuno.gif MX-23 (5-PW)
CG16 52*, 58*

White Ice #7

I use a spot on the green and the alignment arrow.  I use the spot to control my distance and the alignment arrow to control my, um, alignment, lol.

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

i agree with most of the replies on how to set up for the putt

but i was wondering when youre about to swing, where are you focusing?

top of the ball?  behind the ball?  even in front of the ball?

I like to think i have a strong putting game, and I use all feel for it.  I 3-putted once every two rounds last year.  I also have a lot of confidence within 8ft. I don't really know what i focus on when I look down.  I focus and fully rely on my line that i feel will put the ball in the hole, and I hit the putt.  I prolly look just behind the ball when I make the stroke though to make sure I hit it clean.  But, my preshot routine involves trying to make little eye contact with the ball so I don't jinx myself or get too excited.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

On rare occasion I'll align the ball's arrow, but it's only when I pick the ball up for some reason such as to clean it. And even then I only aim it roughly in the right direction, I don't use it as my primary alignment. I can't use the ball's alignment because I'm constantly assessing how I want to play the putt. I make a lot of changes to how much break/speed I want to play, so I'd be constantly readjusting my ball. No point in that IMO -- just choose the line, pick a spot, align to that spot, focus the eyes, and hit.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I use the alignment arrows pointing to the spot on the green I am aiming for, usually a defect in the green or a color change that stands out... although something has to change, I've 2 putted every single green the last 3 times out, even with birdie chances from < 10 feet.

2013 Goal:

Single digit handicap

i go behind the hole and see the line...go behind the ball and see the line...stand behind my ball perpedicular to the hole and take 2-3 practice swings to gauge speed (ala Sergio Garcia) and then walk up to the ball...align putter...then stance...practice swing behind the ball...putter behind the ball...swing away.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

Mine is a spot on my aimline, then i usually feel out the speed from there. I never pick a spot on my line, unless its a straight put. For example, i had a 25 foot putt yesterday that had 3.5 feet of break to it. The best spot i liked was the other golfer's ball mark. That spot was off my line but on my starting line. So my ball followed up towards that ball mark then broke, came up about 2 feet short, but it had a good line to it.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by abraxas

Yeah, i'm curious about that too... I was going to add that to the poll but I didn't want to complicate it.

I follow my putter with my eyes as it swings back.  That's probably a bad idea and i should probably have my "eye on the ball" but it seems to work.  I average 1.9 putts per hole.

Consistently badly.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by abraxas

I hesitate to say that I really focus on anything.  I sort of just allow my eyes to "see" a spot between my ball and the intermediate mark on the green that I used to line up my putt.  IME, I find that if I focus on something particular (ball, spot, whatever), I become fixated and I end up trying to steer my putter.  At that point, the results are usually a choppy stroke with poor contact,

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

I putt mostly on feel. I do try to get a read on the green and pick a a line that I think will be good. However thats just for setting my feet. Once Im behind the ball though I just feel it and hit it.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Note: This thread is 4699 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!