IGNORED

Midwest public courses with on-site lodging

Note: This thread is 3704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Did a stay-and-play with golf lessons included at this place:  http://www.swanlakeresort.com/golf

Northern Indiana and can't be more than 1.5 hours from Chicagoland.  Very nice courses, 2 18s.  Great practice facility and on-site hotel and cottages.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love the golf at Lawsonia in Green Lake WI -- 2.5 hours from O'Hare. Two wonderful courses and, while very affordable, among my favorite places to play at any price. They held the PGA there about 70 years ago. The Links course is a wonderful design that I've come to appreciate more the more I play it. The golf is one of the great deals I've ever found. The courses are located on a large property called The Green Lake Conference Center. They have lots of on-site lodging designed for church groups and families. The entire property is owned by the Baptists and the course and "hotels" are dry. I understand that it was an upscale resort "in the day," fell on hard times, was purchased by Mr. Kraft of Kraft Foods, and he donated it to the Baptists.

I have been the guest of a large group that rented houses on the property and we saved our non-Baptist fun for evenings. This was an annual thing and we all loved the golf and shared houses. As a guest, I don't know what houses cost but guess the ones in the woods are much cheaper than those on the lake. I do know there are a few (very few) hotel options near the courses that range from budget to fancy. There are also a few restaurants within a short drive. There are also B&B; options that may make a deal if stay during the week and avoid peak season.

http://www.lawsonia.com

http://www.glcc.org

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

That place sounds great, rusty! But I'm afraid you lost me at "dry". (I grew up Baptist. Nice people, good potlucks, not a lot of fun at parties.)

To be clear, the course is dry but your rented house is your house. So if beer while playing matters (as it does to some of my buddies) then skip this place.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

We stayed at Rend Lake and played golf on our way to Missouri several years ago and I enjoyed it. That's the only place I've ever stayed where I could walk across the parking lot to the golf course. It was pretty cold and wet that day and it seemed like I was hitting a lot of 3 irons into greens so I would like to go back sometime in the summer. ;-)

I'm with WUtiger. Friends and I go there every year and a group of seniors go a different time and never once have we been let down. Hotel is literally on 18 green and you leave everything in your carts and they will be waiting for you when it's your t time.

Driver: :tmade: R11S (9 degree)
Woods: :tmade: R11 3 (15.5 degree) & 5 (19 degree)
Irons: :tmade: R11 4-AW
Wedges: :tmade: ATV 54 & 60 degree
Putter: :scotty_cameron: 2012 Newport 2
Ball: :titleist: ProV1
Rangefinder: :bushnell: Tour V2

Branson Mo has a lot to offer with multiple resort golf courses.    http://www.explorebransongolf.com/courses

The Lake of the Ozarks is another great area.      http://lakeoftheozarksgolfcourses.com/

Both areas offer outstanding golf courses and are priced reasonable.

These areas are very popular play grounds for the St Louis and KC metropolitan residents and usually are very busy during the summer weekends.

Sunday through Friday's the areas are less crowded and one can certainly enjoy the great experience they offer.

Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I live in Branson, as of right now 2 of our best clouded are closed. Branson creek ( 1public in the state) and murder rock #3 in the state, were bought by Johnny Morris owner of bass pro shops. Hid top of the rock could and branson creek are to be reopened in the spring. I think hes trying to do something with the courses and his big cedar lodge resort. But we also have the #2 and #4 ranked courses in the state here. Among 3 other good ones.

I live in Branson, as of right now 2 of our best clouded are closed. Branson creek ( 1public in the state) and murder rock #3 in the state, were bought by Johnny Morris owner of bass pro shops. Hid top of the rock could and branson creek are to be reopened in the spring. I think hes trying to do something with the courses and his big cedar lodge resort. But we also have the #2 and #4 ranked courses in the state here. Among 3 other good ones.

I'll second Branson MO--not what people think of as a golf destination.  Branson Creek and Murder Rock are phenomenal.  Payne Stewart Golf Club is also fantastic and has condos and villas on the course.  I've also played River Cut, a very good public course, less than 30 minutes from Branson.  And the weather from April and on is usually quite good (though they have had a rather brutal winter this year).

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Mikeup -

You look at SW Michigan as an option - 3 (ish) hours from Chicago to Grand Rapids area.

You can fly into GR if some in your group would rather do that then drive.

Tons of courses from, here are a few:

Tullymore/St. Ives (an hour north)

Thornapple, Gleneagle - greater GR

Ravines & Clearbrook - Saugatuck

Hawkshead - South Haven

Heritage Glen & Lake Michigan Hills - Benton Harbor

lodging choices would depend on where you wanted to play but if you stayed in the Holland area that puts you within an hour of almost all of those.

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 3704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!