IGNORED

How do you actually get better/improve at golf?

Note: This thread is 4704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Practice the right things, as had been said before. You find out what those right things are by having lessons. Then practice what you were taught and not anything else.

You scores make it seem that you're dancing around what's right. Get to the point. At your level, there shouldn't be that many corrections you need to make.

The thing is Im good at fixing something as Im a perfectionist in a bit of a way.As soon as I can see something that I dont like in my camcorder I can easily practice for ages and work on it and very effectively get rid of it by practicing. Thats when I feel like I have a purpose and stuff to practice.  Then I start swinging fine and hitting the ball well so then I feel ive nothing to work on as I feel happy with it. Its just I have the problem with consistently keeping everything fundamentally correct and maybe some fundamental swing faults will just appear after a while. I think its because Im not always constantly checking my game and practicing to keep it correct.From now on Im going to work on practicing good set up and swing fundamentals to ingrain it permanently into my game and stop it from ever going "off".  I will be using camcorder to constantly review my swing every time I play and as soon as something steps out of line I will be sure to correct it.

I can practice every day for 30 min but I can only get out once a week to play, best advice I ever got was never hit the same club twice on the range.  It makes my brain re-calculate everything after each swing,  It connects the brain to the muscles (ie the old slows down the game concept).  It makes for some ugly practice sessions but it absolutly transfers on to the course.  (one more,,,only practice putting with 1 ball...same idea)

Whenever I see threads like this, it seems like most of the advice revolves around full swing practice. Same with most lessons I see at the course, full swing and not many around the putting/chipping greens. To me though golf seems like a game that's really played around the greens. I know when I play with someone much better than me, routinely shooting 70's their short game is what really stands out to me. Up and down all the time, no 3 putts etc. So wouldn't focusing on the short game first and foremost benefit most golfers? I mean, if "improving" at golf is lower scores, then I think it would.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Whenever I see threads like this, it seems like most of the advice revolves around full swing practice. Same with most lessons I see at the course, full swing and not many around the putting/chipping greens. To me though golf seems like a game that's really played around the greens. I know when I play with someone much better than me, routinely shooting 70's their short game is what really stands out to me. Up and down all the time, no 3 putts etc. So wouldn't focusing on the short game first and foremost benefit most golfers? I mean, if "improving" at golf is lower scores, then I think it would.

Of course it makes sense to pratice on scrambling and putting like hell, but golf is a complete game !

You need to get to a point where you need your scrambling and putting qualities first.

Making or saving a par, through scrambling and putting actually involves missing the green in regulation only just yet, so you need a decent drive, followed by a decent approach !!!

Anyone wanting to become a low single digit index player, needs a 250 yds drive in or near the fairway and isn't actually allowed to miss a green from 150 yds and in.

In order to shoot in the 70's you need to get better in all parts of the game.

To keep playing a low single digit index you need to play at least 2 rounds of golf per week and maybe at least 3 rounds of golf per week to improve !

I personally like to practice with my buddies (not always the same) and also play some mini tournaments at the putting green or at the range or at the chipping green.

If you want to become a better player, you have to focus on all parts of the game !

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by Gerald

Quote:

Of course it makes sense to pratice on scrambling and putting like hell, but golf is a complete game !

You need to get to a point where you need your scrambling and putting qualities first.

Making or saving a par, through scrambling and putting actually involves missing the green in regulation only just yet, so you need a decent drive, followed by a decent approach !!!

Anyone wanting to become a low single digit index player, needs a 250 yds drive in or near the fairway and isn't actually allowed to miss a green from 150 yds and in.

In order to shoot in the 70's you need to get better in all parts of the game.

To keep playing a low single digit index you need to play at least 2 rounds of golf per week and maybe at least 3 rounds of golf per week to improve !

I personally like to practice with my buddies (not always the same) and also play some mini tournaments at the putting green or at the range or at the chipping green.

If you want to become a better player, you have to focus on all parts of the game !

Of course this is true Gerald, I agree all parts of the game must be worked on in order to shoot in the 70's. What I meant to imply was the relative importance of the short game vs the long game. Anyone can get the ball up around the green in 2 or 3 on a par 4, but getting up and down for the par or bogey save? Or 2 putting from 50 ft? That is what separates the average golfers from the single digits. At least in my experience anyway.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

a lot of good valuable tips and points in here but one thing was left out.

video yourself or have your friend/gf/wife someone, video tape you.

over the many years of this game, i've grown frustrated and ill to a point of making the same mistakes until i took a video of my swing. from different angles. it was then that i realized i shouldn't be dissecting other pro swings per say, but moreso my own. it's my body..and it's my swing so i needed to focus on what exactly i was doing wrong and trust me, if you do, you will find things wrong with your swing.

in my opinion this is the BEST judgement of your swing. you can have 10 people tell you what to do, what not to do but you're the best judgement of your own body. so video tape yourself.

also, i'll add one more thing...we are accustomed to not changing. whether it's our belief or our ways...but physically changing is just as demanding. your body is the most stubborn part of you. you can change your mind but you can't change your body over night. after you video yourself and see for yourself what mistakes your making and what changes need to be made, train your swing (body) to CHANGE. then and only then you'll know that what you're doing is right....for you.

i love golf tips...can't get enough of it...but at the end of the day...we all swing differently so take that as the main account. you train your swing to fit your style.

i grew up surfing and people always ask me, teach me how to surf. i always say, you just gotta get out there and surf as much as you can to get better. aside from the small fundamentals on how to paddle and push yourself up...the rest is up to you.

Originally Posted by Meddle

Of course this is true Gerald, I agree all parts of the game must be worked on in order to shoot in the 70's. What I meant to imply was the relative importance of the short game vs the long game. Anyone can get the ball up around the green in 2 or 3 on a par 4, but getting up and down for the par or bogey save? Or 2 putting from 50 ft? That is what separates the average golfers from the single digits. At least in my experience anyway.

Well you'll notice that if you play to a level that you might just miss a GIR, mostly the scrambling and putting are at a decent level aswell. But the average hacker needing 3 shots to miss GIR at a par 4, can easely take an extra 3 shots from there, making a double.

You seldom will meet a golfer with excellent scrambling and excellent putting and a long game that sucks or the other way arround.

Cal Razr Hawk 10.5 | TM Superfast 3W | Adams Idea Pro Black 20 | MP-68 3-PW | TW9 50/06 + 58/12 | Ram Zebra Putter

Originally Posted by Gerald

You seldom will meet a golfer with excellent scrambling and excellent putting and a long game that sucks or the other way arround.

So true,,,,the same concepts apply from putting thru to the driver.  The skill levels usually track each other.

You can learn all of the positions and movements that are necessary for a good swing, but how do you make it all happen perfectly in the one second or so that you have from takeaway to impact?  That's why I use the lead shoulder key as explained in the golf swing master key instruction.

That is a duplication from my post in another thread, but I think it is relevant to both threads.

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I haven't been playing golf for very long and I really love it. The one thing that i am struggling incredible with is my drive. No matter what I do I have an insanely bad slice. I don't know what to do to correct it. When I go to the driving range I consistantly hit straight and far but as soon as im on the course the slice just defeats me. The rest of my game is getting better with time but my slice just seems impossible to correct. Does anyone out there have some advice for me? any would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Joe

Originally Posted by joefriesen

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forum. I haven't been playing golf for very long and I really love it. The one thing that i am struggling incredible with is my drive. No matter what I do I have an insanely bad slice. I don't know what to do to correct it. When I go to the driving range I consistantly hit straight and far but as soon as im on the course the slice just defeats me. The rest of my game is getting better with time but my slice just seems impossible to correct. Does anyone out there have some advice for me? any would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Joe

joe...it's a common mistake by new golfers...to slice.

there could be a handful of things going wrong with your setup and swing.

outside in swing can cause a slice...you're stance can cause a slice, your grip can cause a slice...more than likely it's a combination of things that's causing a slice for you but you said when you're on the range, you hit it straight right?

then the only conclusion i can come up with is...your tension when you're out on the course.

hitting the range is one thing...being on that tee box is COMPLETELY different. your tension level rises, thus your strangling your grip.

keep everything the same next time you go out. don't focus on your swing so much...but try this.

when you set up to the ball...lift your club head off the ground about an inch. while doing this, make sure your grip is not tight. just gently hold onto your grip. pretend like your shaking hands with someone who just broke there fingers lol. sounds stupid...but you get the idea!

this allows 2 things to happen.

1) you pressuring your grip won't change from the time you set up to the point of starting your backswing. why? because you're already holding your club off the ground. sometimes, you set it on the ground and your grips light but when you pick it up...you immediately strengthen your grip.

2) the chances of you slicing will be slimmer and you may start to duck hook (ball will go left) ...because the lighter your grip, the lesser your tension, the better chances of your wrist breaking at the top and at contact.

give that a shot!

I guess what are you trying to improve?  Are you focused on better ball striking or lower score?  The reason I say this they are sometimes unrelated.  Sure you can strike the ball well but if you cannot manage your strokes around the green then it will be a long round of golf.  A scrambling par is the same as a regulation par.  One way is just harder.

You have to make clear your idea of what you want to accomplish and then break it down into something manageable where you can achieve a measurable result. If it's better ball striking then focus on your swing mechanics.  If its course management then start taking stats and play to your tendencies.  There are a lot of sites out there that offer you a way to manage your golf game and find out these "tendencies."

Playing more golf, is not the answer.  Just more frustration.

Vic aka Ringworld aka Community Director at Greenskeeper.org aka All Around Nice Guy.

Hey Drew and Ringworld thanks so much for the advice.

Drew I have to agree it must be the tension you get when you step onto the teebox. It is also my technique aswell I think because I definantley don't shoot straight on the first few at the range. Love the tips guys ill head out for a round this weekend and try and implement your guys advice. Much appreciated!

I have been working with the Medicus 5 iron and hitting wiffle balls in the backyard.   I am working on basic things like keeping head down and swing plane.  I try to hit 20 to 30 balls at least once a day, more when i have the time.   How do you all feel about this ?  Do you think this will help ?

Note: This thread is 4704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!