IGNORED

Bunker lip and rule 25-2.

Stretch
Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Sounds like bunker to me. I'd try to hack it out before taking an unplayable.

For me it would depend entirely on the situation.  I've seen guys try to hack a ball out of a difficult lie to save a stroke and end up not moving the ball or even hammering it in deeper.  I've learned to be quite cautious with the sort of lie I'll attempt a shot from.  There are many cases where the smart choice is to just take the penalty.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

With the lie described in the OP, I'd take the penalty drop inside the bunker. That thing would be nasty and at least with a drop in the bunker I can have some control over where. Take one to save possibly three.

• Upvote 1

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

If I can swing the club, I do not take unplayables unless it could damage the club or me.

Driver.......Ping K15 9.5* stiff 3 wood.....Ping K15 16* stiff 5 wood.....Ping K15 19* stiff 4 Hybrid...Cleveland Gliderail 23* stiff 5 - PW......Pinhawk SL GW...........Tommy Armour 52* SW...........Tommy Armour 56* LW...........Tommy Armour 60* FW...........Diamond Tour 68* Putter.......Golfsmith Dyna Mite Ball..........Volvik Vista iV Green Bag..........Bennington Quiet Organizer Shoes.... ..Crocs

If I can swing the club, I do not take unplayables unless it could damage the club or me.

That has nothing to do with the rules.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Quote:

Originally Posted by vangator

That has nothing to do with the rules.

It's also a very questionable approach.  But each to his own poison. :roll:

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

1. Players have to be careful when making a decision like this. By playing a shot that is close to being unplayable, the player may end up in with a worse lie than the original and in so doing, 28a, from the original stroke, is no longer one of the available options. 2. From the original discussion, with the player uncertain about what to do, he should have invoked 3-3, played a second ball and indicated that he wanted to score with the ball that would have given him free relief ( from the "embedded" lie.) Then, get a ruling later from someone who knew the rules.

?

There are lots of occasions where an unplayable lie means you can drop in a better place than you could hit it. And get it there with certainty.

Kevin Na must be your hero.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

2. From the original discussion, with the player uncertain about what to do, he should have invoked 3-3, played a second ball and indicated that he wanted to score with the ball that would have given him free relief ( from the "embedded" lie.) Then, get a ruling later from someone who knew the rules.

3-3 is only available if the player has doubt about the applicable rule or how to proceed under the rule. It is not about having a choice about how to play.

3-3 is only available if the player has doubt about the applicable rule or how to proceed under the rule. It is not about having a choice about how to play.

Correct. This is the first line of the original post: "Had a situation in a bunker today that had me and my playing partners scratching our heads about how to proceed." Since 3-3 is entitled "Doubt as to Procedure," it follows that if the player did not know what to do that a second ball could be played. Since they were not sure whether the ball was embedded through the green or lying in the bunker, why do you feel that 3-3 would not be applicable?

Oops! :8)

You are correct. I had forgotten the original problem was whether it was in the bunker or not. I was just thinking that he was doubtful about declaring it unplayable or not. Not about the appropriate procedure.

I agree. In this case the situation is in doubt. Take a photo of the ball with your smartphone.

1. drop a second ball and play it as an embedded ball with a free drop.... in this case it would likely be a drop in line with the pin from behind the bunker, or somewhere no closer to the hole on either side of where the ball is under the turf (which would probably end up with horrid footing - one foot in the bunker and one foot out)

2. take the penalty stroke and drop and play the original ball inside the bunker.

3. record both scores on the card.

4. get a ruling from the committee after the round.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I agree. In this case the situation is in doubt. Take a photo of the ball with your smartphone.

1. drop a second ball and play it as an embedded ball with a free drop.... in this case it would likely be a drop in line with the pin from behind the bunker, or somewhere no closer to the hole on either side of where the ball is under the turf (which would probably end up with horrid footing - one foot in the bunker and one foot out)

2. take the penalty stroke and drop and play the original ball inside the bunker.

3. record both scores on the card.

4. get a ruling from the committee after the round.

1a.  Announce which ball you wish to count if the Rules permit.

Rich - in name only

1a.  Announce which ball you wish to count if the Rules permit.

I would call that step 0, before 1.  He must announce that he is going to play two balls and which ball he wishes to score with, before taking further action.

• 3 weeks later...
Kevin Na must be your hero.

Hahahaha! You have to admit that was fun to watch.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

• 3 months later...
Is sand that is outsde of the lip of a bunker considered a bunker? There's not a defined lip of a bunker.the ball is sitting on grass and sand. you have one foot in the bunker,can you ground the club??

Is sand that is outsde of the lip of a bunker considered a bunker?

There's not a defined lip of a bunker.the ball is sitting on grass and sand.

you have one foot in the bunker,can you ground the club??

No.

If your ball is not in the bunker you are free to ground your club anywhere you like

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 3195 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!