IGNORED

Martin Ayers: The Most Powerful Move in Golf

Note: This thread is 3709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by soon_tourpro

articfially create power adds more timing and you will loose accuracy.

Kinda self explain the sillyness.

Was this post created using a random word generator?

• Upvote 2

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by 1puttit

After watching the video several times and trying it for a few days I can't say I ever came close to mastering "the move" or even really understanding it.

If you don't understand it after watching the video several times, no wonder people who haven't seen the video, don't understand it.  This is classic snake oil stuff.  If it can't be explained why it generates power, and measured in terms of muscular speed, odds are it's baloney.  There are a lot of guys out there like this one who are trying to make money off people's desire to be good at golf.  I'm sorry for your loss.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I'm not complaining and I'm certainly not worried about "my loss" of $35. Sometimes you take a lesson and it doesn't work out for you, other times it works out great. I know on SITD there are lots of satisfied customers but this method just isn't for me.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

I just watched the video last night and can tell you that IT WORKS!   I added roughly 20-30 yards in one day on my drives by simply employing the takeaway.  I did pull a few, but that was due to me turning too quickly.  i typically drive the ball about 250 with a carry of around 230-235.  I "WAS" a 10 handicap.  On my last hole today I carried my drive over a sandtrap which was about 250 yards+.  I was so shocked, after my round I went to the local golf store to get on a launch monitor.  Again, I was shocked as I normally hit it about 240-250 on the monitor with a 90-95 mph swing.  On my second swing, I was around 109 with my swing speed and drove the ball 302 with roll.  No, the machine was not juiced, as I hit in that same simulator about 2-3 times per week.  The method works, so if you can grasp the idea, and just put it in play and swing the club, you can make it happen.  Just take that for what its worth guys!

Originally Posted by bunkerputt

This is classic snake oil stuff.

This.  Sometimes stuff/lessons work because they motivate people to practice.  It's like a pill that cures being thirsty but you have to drink it with two glasses of water.

Come on people.  If you want to hit it a long way, take the tried and true method that the best players in the world use:

1.  Work hard on mechanics

2.  Work hard in the gym

3.  Work hard on being satisfied with 280

My guess is most people will read the "work hard" part and keep going for crap like this instead.  People suck for a reason.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

bp: You really have a major bugbear with this huh? Almost every other post is you preaching about how bad it is yet you don't seem to actually know what it's all about. How can you be so sure that it's so bad for everyone and a gimmick and snake oil etc without knowing for sure what it's all about?

At it's very core this idea is a method to load your arms muscles in a way that allows you to dump as much power as you have into the ball and nothing more. As I've said above it didn't work for me because my mechanics were flawed (point 1 of yours) and yes going to the gym will build muscle but if you're not using the muscle you have currently in an efficient manner how will training help?

If the video wasn't so big I'd get a copy over to you so that you can check it out for yourself and come up with some valid arguments but for now I really don't see the need to continually bash something you have no idea about.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

... I really don't see the need to continually bash something you have no idea about.

That's not entirely true.  I know two things about it:

1.  No one can explain what it is.

2.  No one can explain why it works.

But yeah, you're basically right.  I, like everyone else, have no clue what this is really all about.  And I'd hardly call one post a month or less on it a "bugbear".  But sorry if I offended you nonetheless.

[ Equipment ]

Doesn't offend me in the slightest; I just can't understand the need to continually post against it, that's all.

(and by "continually" I mean once per month)

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Doesn't offend me in the slightest; I just can't understand the need to continually post against it, that's all.

(and by "continually" I mean once per month)

Have you tried magnetic inserts in your golf shoes?

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

Have you tried magnetic inserts in your golf shoes?

I have but I found they tend to attract Austrian weirdos.

SWING DNA

• 2 months later...

Perfect explanation.  In fact, I now believe that is the biggest difference between great players and low-to-mid cappers.  It is not the athleticism, it is the feel.  This explains why some swings look good but cannot perform solid ballstriking / impact, while others are the opposite.

I tried the 'pizza dough' feel at the range a la Ayers, and it did feel like a float load - except, the places I felt torque / pressure were DIFFERENT than my less powerful (but look decent to an instructor) swings, and the ballflight difference was unmistakable, most likely due to angle of attack and clubhead speed that comes from torquing the muscles in a more efficient fashion accomplishes.

I simply pulled the pizza dough to the top (as in an Ayers YouTube vid, so I am not giving away anything), which gave me a big turn without feeling a turn, but kept me centered over the ball.  Then it is just returning / throwing to an expected impact.  Really very easy and powerful.  I only hit two buckets (yesterday), but by the end, I could get the 165 8i out of a more simple feeling swing than my previous balls-to-wall 8i swing of 155.

I hit about 20 woods, and had some high fades / pushes / tops to work out.  I worked them out by closing my stance slightly and getting the feeling of posting around my left leg.  Then I was slamming them.  Not sure how this will feel with shorter shots, short game, and wedges, so I reserve that for future judgement.

The feeling of leverage in this action is unmistakeable. I can't wait to try and put this into my previous swing 'feel breakthrough' which was pulling my left lat into impact in more of what some would call a single-plane action.

Why people complain so much about golf swing unorthodoxy is unproductive.  Innovation requires change.

Statists only stunt their own growth by refusing to acknowledge new breakthroughs in teaching and playing golf.

Keep your persimmon swing thoughts if you must - but don't knock people for trying out the new metalwoods of golf swing theory and instruction.

Whether we all implement everything Comeaux, Ayers, Maves, Edwin, Stack 'n, Tilt'n, Foley'n, Slicefixin, et al is not the point - the point is getting as many pieces of the puzzle out there for more golfers to play, tinker, and improve with for the type of swing mechanics they find suit them.  I'll reckon the average handicap for students of the aforementioned (plus many missed) experience better, faster results improving their game than with some of the 'classic' models (won't name names).

• Administrator
Originally Posted by bossanovawitcha

I respectfully disagree..  increased clubhead speed = less reliance on timing and more solid strikes.  This move will increase clubhead speed for most players.

With whom? You've contributed nicely but I'm not sure people will know to whom you're responding.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
That opening at the top will get you horizontal,,,than you let it swing,,,( which would be a claw move) ..and turn into a palmar flexion on the way down. I can do slow motion...I can do claw with full swings.,but can't add in the twirl., Thanks for keeping sand trap...I,love reading old ayers stuff.. Tons of hidden gems

Like working on the swing,,score means nothing to me. Might just go to the range and give up playing... ( might happen)

• 4 months later...

How complicated can you get? A simple explanation won't sell dvd's however. Ayers is just rehashing AJ Bonar's lesson. They both work as promised. Just keep your trailing palm FEELING like it's facing the target or direction of swing. A few buckets and you should have it. No big deal.

Note: This thread is 3709 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!