IGNORED

Rules Of Golf In One Page (Maybe Two) Project

iacas
Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

This thread exists to discuss the "Rules of Golf in One Page (Maybe Two)" project, as challenged here: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/7089/if-you-could-change-one-rule-what-would-it-be/72#post_610299 .

The actual wiki article that anyone can edit is here: http://thesandtrap.com/wiki/rules-of-golf-in-one-page-maybe-two .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by iacas

This thread exists to discuss the "Rules of Golf in One Page (Maybe Two)" project, as challenged here: http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/7089/if-you-could-change-one-rule-what-would-it-be/72#post_610299 .

The actual wiki article that anyone can edit is here: http://thesandtrap.com/wiki/rules-of-golf-in-one-page-maybe-two .

You can't put the rules of golf on 1 page unless you use really tiny print...

nonetheless I accept your challenge

also... in the thread you started this with you said if i could succeed I would be a millionaire... if i succeed who do i go to for my prize?

:whistle:

Other than tiny print, fully reproducing the rules of golf in a page or two is going to be impossible---there's just too much material to condense "losslessly."

I've been thinking about this since this thread materialized, though just idly musing rather than actually concentrating effort on the problem.  My main thought is that, while fully reproducing every nuance is a hopeless goal, I think one could make a very useful quick reference guide that would give someone who's familiar with the rules a way to quickly confirm the procedures for the majority of situations.  A few sections are obvious candidates to excise for this---e.g., I'd not bother with the "alternate forms of competition" section.  It also might be a reasonable alteration to make two such guides, one for stroke play and one for match play.  Whether that meets the challenge here, I don't know, but I think it would produce a perfectly useful output.

I have a few ideas how to lay this out, but I doubt I'll have time to do anything significant in the next few months.  Just wanted to post the thought here.

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

For me, the biggest reason that the rules can't easily be condensed is because a short version doesn't answer the biggest thing that I tend to forget: What do I do next? For example, I know that playing the wrong ball is grounds for a 2-stroke penalty in stroke play (lost hole in match play), but sometimes going about playing my next ball gets a little bit fuzzy. A condensed version would just be full of most of the stuff I already have memorized.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

For me, the biggest reason that the rules can't easily be condensed is because a short version doesn't answer the biggest thing that I tend to forget: What do I do next? For example, I know that playing the wrong ball is grounds for a 2-stroke penalty in stroke play (lost hole in match play), but sometimes going about playing my next ball gets a little bit fuzzy. A condensed version would just be full of most of the stuff I already have memorized.

That is a good point. If we tried to get everything on one page, at least half the page would be known by 90% of golfers. What we need is one page that most golfers could consult with once or twice a round. What about a one-page "detailed rulings" sheet? It could only cover situations involving free or penalized drops. On a semi-related note, I've thought that a compact rulebook that read like an "interactive mystery novel" would be neat. Eg, start at the top with "Are you on the a) teebox b) fairway c) green d) hazard" and then tell them to go to the next question based on their answer. Say they answer that they are in a hazard, you tell them to go to question X, which asks more questions. Once they've supplied enough information, they are pointed toward a ruling. That way a golfer can just has to to follow the questions to determine what the ruling is. Don't know if it would be practical, though.

• Upvote 1

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Yeah I think a nice summary of certain rules would be something nice to do. I consider myself above average in knowledge of the rules, and I rarely play with someone who knows very much about the rules. Ex. I have rarely ever played with someone who knew every option they had when they hit into a hazard.

A 1 page rules summary could contain information on some different penalties, lost balls and provisional balls, obstructions, loose impediment and similar things that players run into very often. Although you may need all the rules to cover the entire game and every situation, you may be able to fit a very good summary of rules that would be applicable to the average player on an average round in one page. That might be a nice thing to create on that wiki.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jamo

For me, the biggest reason that the rules can't easily be condensed is because a short version doesn't answer the biggest thing that I tend to forget: What do I do next?

For example, I know that playing the wrong ball is grounds for a 2-stroke penalty in stroke play (lost hole in match play), but sometimes going about playing my next ball gets a little bit fuzzy. A condensed version would just be full of most of the stuff I already have memorized.

True, but I think one might be able to condense a lot by dropping the "lawyerly" specificity---there's a lot of repetition and similar processes used in several situations.  If you presume the golfer more or less knows the rules but needs a nudge in the right direction, I think you could often reduce it to just a couple words.  For me, this most often comes up when I'm trying to answer a question on the forums and want to be sure I've got the details right.  Usually I don't have to read the whole rule, just glance at the first few words in the bullet points and the rest comes back.

I'm sort of thinking of inverting the structure of the rules.  The top section (or front of the page or whatever) would be summaries of relief procedures, separated to avoid redundancy and repetition.  The bottom (or back or whatever) would be situations which then refer to the procedures section.  Of course, depending on how well you know various parts of the rules, you probably would want different emphasis.

That's good, of course, it means we can publish a whole series instead of just one page!

In the bag:

It needs a table illustrating by far the most common relief scenarios and course of action. Maybe a table and a flowchart. When in doubt read the local rules (course preservation and unusual OB situations) and don't be afraid to not ground your club while playing it where it lies.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I think a 1-2 sheet summary table would be good, plus a reference to the page in the rule book you'd find more detail if required.

Joe Paradiso

• Administrator

Originally Posted by B-Con

What about a one-page "detailed rulings" sheet? It could only cover situations involving free or penalized drops.

As you know, that's not what this thread's really about.

Originally Posted by jshots

A 1 page rules summary could contain information on some different penalties, lost balls and provisional balls, obstructions, loose impediment and similar things that players run into very often. Although you may need all the rules to cover the entire game and every situation, you may be able to fit a very good summary of rules that would be applicable to the average player on an average round in one page. That might be a nice thing to create on that wiki.

Also, not really what the thread is about. There are plenty of "condensed rules" sheets out there.

What nobody is able to do, however, is write a complete set of rules for the game of golf (or what would become the game of golf if that was possible) in a page. Or two. I don't think it can be done. People have said "the rules are too complex," and I've invited them to take a stab at shortening them to a page. Go for it.

But let's not bastardize the intent of this thread by saying "let's summarize the rules" because you'd instantly know where the holes are. The goal is to create a set of rules without holes. That won't be achieved by summarizing.

Originally Posted by zeg

I'm sort of thinking of inverting the structure of the rules.  The top section (or front of the page or whatever) would be summaries of relief procedures, separated to avoid redundancy and repetition.  The bottom (or back or whatever) would be situations which then refer to the procedures section.  Of course, depending on how well you know various parts of the rules, you probably would want different emphasis.

This might get the Rules down to 10 pages. ;-) "Ball hits player's or partner's caddie: see procedure 2-03c." :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

As you know, that's not what this thread's really about.

[...]

But let's not bastardize the intent of this thread by saying "let's summarize the rules" because you'd instantly know where the holes are. The goal is to create a set of rules without holes. That won't be achieved by summarizing.

[...]

This might get the Rules down to 10 pages. ;-) "Ball hits player's or partner's caddie: see procedure 2-03c." :-)

Well, along these lines we might as well have an "Achieve Lasting Peace in the Middle East in 6 Weeks" thread. I think a lesser aim than a complete set of rules can still be an interesting discussion...

The other alternative that might be interesting would be a modified golf game that *can* be specified in a page and is close enough to the original intent of golf (i.e., play the ball as it lies + equity) that it's still an acceptable substitute.  But if the aim is Golf in one page, then yeah, I'd say go ahead and delete the thread.

In the bag:

• Administrator

Originally Posted by zeg

Well, along these lines we might as well have an "Achieve Lasting Peace in the Middle East in 6 Weeks" thread. I think a lesser aim than a complete set of rules can still be an interesting discussion...

I agree it could be. But this isn't that discussion. People have said that the Rules of Golf should be a page long. So I've challenged them to make them a page. Maybe two.

Originally Posted by zeg

The other alternative that might be interesting would be a modified golf game that *can* be specified in a page and is close enough to the original intent of golf (i.e., play the ball as it lies + equity) that it's still an acceptable substitute.  But if the aim is Golf in one page, then yeah, I'd say go ahead and delete the thread.

Because you know it can't be done. I'm waiting for someone to try.

It won't be the game of golf as we know it. Obviously, it can't be, because that definition involves application of the rules as we know them now. However, it can be something close - something that preserves the game of golf pretty much as we know it.

So "play the ball as it lies" is one of those rules people think are simple enough to eliminate lots of other rules, but what if the ball moves (and does it change depending on who moved it)? What if it's lost or OB or in a creek? What if the player doesn't want to play it where it is? What if you hit the wrong golf ball? What if it becomes cut or damaged? Visible but unreachable (i.e. down a hole or sitting on a piece of construction equipment in the middle of a big area that's being repaired)?

That's why it can't be done, zeg, but that's what this thread is about, like it or not. Someone said the rules of golf should be a page long, and this thread discusses their ability to create rules that basically preserve the game as we know it without going longer than a page. Maybe two.

It won't be the game of golf as we know it. Obviously, it can't be, because that definition involves application of the rules as we know them now. However, it can be something close - something that preserves the game of golf pretty much as we know it.

So "play the ball as it lies" is one of those rules people think are simple enough to eliminate lots of other rules, but what if the ball moves (and does it change depending on who moved it)? What if it's lost or OB or in a creek? What if the player doesn't want to play it where it is? What if you hit the wrong golf ball? What if it becomes cut or damaged? Visible but unreachable (i.e. down a hole or sitting on a piece of construction equipment in the middle of a big area that's being repaired)?

That's why it can't be done, zeg, but that's what this thread is about, like it or not. Someone said the rules of golf should be a page long, and this thread discusses their ability to create rules that basically preserve the game as we know it without going longer than a page. Maybe two.

Yep.  For all the noise that some members have made about this, I don't see any takers.  Now they are drawing back and saying that it should only be a quick reference for common situations.  Trouble is, that isn't what the original rants were about (such quick references already exist, and they still are longer than a single page - Rules in Brief ).  They were talking about putting all of the rules ever needed on one page.  Maybe two.

Even the rules for Monopoly take up more than one page of readable text.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I agree it could be. But this isn't that discussion. People have said that the Rules of Golf should be a page long. So I've challenged them to make them a page. Maybe two.

It won't be the game of golf as we know it.

I shouldn't have posted here because I never said anything about the existing rules being too complicated. Of course there would have to be some situations where things got painted with the same brush and the game would look different.

This doesn't sound like a thread started to begin a dialogue or discussion anyway. It sounds more like some sort of scolding.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I shouldn't have posted here because I never said anything about the existing rules being too complicated. Of course there would have to be some situations where things got painted with the same brush and the game would look different.

This doesn't sound like a thread started to begin a dialogue or discussion anyway. It sounds more like some sort of scolding.

I see it as more of a challenge - put up or.....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Fair enough.  I got tired of seeing the thread empty though... :-)

Can I post a solution that uses pkzip?

In the bag:

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Fourputt

I see it as more of a challenge - put up or.....

Yep. That's all it is. A thread to discuss the wiki.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

Not sure what to do here. I have an original  two-page set of rules, a few of which I made up, and want to submit it somewhere.

Where and how?

See the first post?

http://thesandtrap.com/wiki/rules-of-golf-in-one-page-maybe-two

Note: This thread is 3096 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!